Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Unholy Nation Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
What someone talented would do with UN.

Ditch Newbie Island project - this seems to be a massive waste and I can think of a much better system for introducing new players to UN. My idea?

Player Coach/Mentor System:
When a new/newish player logs in, a GUI prompt appears asking if they'd like the assistance of a veteran player in getting started to play Graal. If they choose yes, their request will be forwarded to players who have opted-in to mentor. The mentor will then be warped to the new player, and will be able to introduce them and begin to show them the ropes for Graal. When the mentor concludes their work with the player, the player will be able to rate how helpful and friendly they thought their mentor was.

These ratings can be turned into rewards such as some sort of points to buy hats/rare items with from a specific salesman.

I'm sure this could be expanded upon quite quickly and its implementation at its lowest level would take a matter of minutes. Much more effective at teaching new players how to play, gives content to both new and old players, and requires considerably less development effort. Or spend another 6 months to get a "large-scale" (rofl) Newbie Tutorial to completion.

Back-end Revamp:
I know Luca has claimed to be doing this but based on every script I've seen on UN (nearly all of them) I struggle to believe it. This is something that really needs to be done, there is too much effort being spent redoing the same things over and over again. I began creating a new back end for events to handle commonly used scripts but I am only aware of their usage in a few events, which were rescripted by myself.

With v6's release, I can't even begin to imagine how many things will be broken on UN, considering how many errors I saw logging onto UN one time with v6. The scripting team really needs to shift focus to doing what they have put off for the last several years and fixing bugs, rather than working on personal tools/toys constantly. No one should be working on any major project besides this at the moment unless UN drastically increases the number of scripters it has.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Kevin Azite
Development Tool Creation:

This is something I dabbled in a bit on testbed and elsewhere, the idea is basically to use your newly improved back-end to allow for some new development tools for staff members like LATs to use. Instead of having to copy/paste scripts and end up with something different from their vision, have tools such as a light creator, particle creator, NPC creator, setshape2 and other sorts of commonly used scripts in a tool that LATs can place in a level in an editor mode online. Then, they can copy and paste scripts that will place the effects in their proper positions or place them in the level themselves. I haven't seen any recent revisions of new online level editors but as things are even now, this wouldn't be horribly hard to create and will allow NATs to spend less time working on graphical flourishes and making other basic scripts for LATs.

By extension, even more specific tools could be created that would be helped by an improved back-end such as an improved room to rent editor, events editor (which would allow LATs to place things such as team mode, spawn points, conditions (water eliminates, lava eliminates, etc), Carry x to y, how many players can play at once, tag team systems, etc.

The easier development is, the faster high quality content can be created.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
300% approved. 150% for each post
Old 10-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sir Link View Post
events editor (which would allow LATs to place things such as team mode, spawn points, conditions (water eliminates, lava eliminates, etc), Carry x to y, how many players can play at once, tag team systems, etc.
I really want something like this. Not necessarily an "events editor" but an actual events system so it isn't all over the place.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Kevin Azite
I feel that none of these 3 ideas is so huge in scope that they're unrealistic - in fact, I believe a team headed up by the right people would be quite capable of finishing them or at the very least having them in a very usable state before the year ended.

I also feel that these 3 things combined would allow for much accelerated development on Unholy Nation, and allow scripters to focus on less mundane tasks which would help UN even more.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Kevin Azite
expansion on the developer's tools, can even have a great world event tool created to allow for easy decorations. While decoration mode is on, you can see where decorations are currently placed and they would only be visible/active to regular players while a server flag were set to that particular holiday. Prevent a lot of effort from being repeated every year, and allow for easy work
Old 10-19-2010, 02:50 PM
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
The mentor system idea is actually pretty cool and UN's management would have to borderline retarded to not be stealing the idea right now.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Playing since in '04.
HirakoShinji is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to HirakoShinji
The Coach/Mentor system seems awesome.
If I had the time/opportunity, I'd help with it.
That idea is probably the best in that.
And what the heck is the Newbie Island project thingy about?
Seems very stupid because all newbies are usually better off without a tutorial on UN for pretty obvious reasons. I have never seen a newbie that didn't know what to do after the quests.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:28 PM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
all useless except for making the scripts competent again, because you won't be doing **** if the server breaks down
Old 10-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Kevin Azite
wat
Old 10-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Honestly, a lot of ideas would be much better than the newbie island given how much time has been effectively put into it.

All awesome ideas though!

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 10-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Kevin Azite
Luca and Cron's ideas are good too though! Cron has idea's like uh... hm.

Luca's got the Newbie Island!
Old 10-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Zormite
BigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond repute
I want to be a Coach/Mentor!
Old 10-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by kia345 View Post
UN's management would have to borderline retarded to not be stealing the idea right now.
You do know UN right..? They're great at making unexpected stupid calls.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:11 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
What's a mentor really going to teach a player on UN though..?

Mentor: Oh hey this is the spar, and this is the pk zone, there's also some quests but you're definitely going need to use a website to figure those ones out. Here's some other <random feature of UN>.
Typical iPhone Player: can i be admin?
Mentor: Uh no.. you have to try out and yadada..
Typical iPhone Player: oh..
Mentor: Anyway that's pretty much it, rate me 5 stars please. (Thinking to self.. **** yeah just a few more noobs and I can get that hat)
Typical iPhone Player: ok.

I'd personally opt for more of a checklist-tutorial system with way points and a map that has the player walking around on UN on there own, and allows them to discover each feature without requiring a mentor. While also pushing non-Dev staff to do more and be helpful to the newbies.