View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Automatically add stats and skills 3 23.08%
Automatically add stats but require skills to rank up 2 15.38%
Allow player to set own stats but require skills to rank up 5 38.46%
Allow player to set own stats and require skills to rank up 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Banned
Cubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant future
Question about Stats and Skills

The last one is supposed to be Allow player to set own stats and automatically add skills upon level up

I'm trying to figure out how I want to make stats and skills on a side scroller I'm messing around with.

Question 1:
Do you guys prefer to have your statistics added automatically each level or do you enjoy having the option of getting a set amount of stats to place in any of customizing your stats and putting them wherever you want. However adding your own stats could cause a player to mess up the character and make it harder to level and pk/raid with.

Question 2:
Do you prefer getting skills at a set level or having the option to rank up certain skills. Same as stats, adding your own skills could cause a player to mess up the character and make it harder to level and pk/raid with.

example of ranking up; Everytime you level up you get 1 skill point to spend which you can add to any of the skills currently available to you and it will add the skill to you and each time you rank up the same skill it will reduce mana cost. You will get skills earlier but end game would be exactly the same as if they were added to you automatically.

example of getting skills at a set level; You level up... bam you have fireball.

Discuss why you chose what you chose in the poll.

Last edited by Cubical; 10-17-2010 at 10:53 PM..
Old 10-17-2010, 10:54 PM
One More Time
MrOmega is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MrOmega Send a message via MSN to MrOmega Send a message via Yahoo to MrOmega
I prefer to be able to add skills and stats, that way the game involves a bit more strategy in order to play 'successfully'
Old 10-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Banned
Cubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant future
Yeah me too, but when I started playing Maloria totally had to reset like 100 times to get my stats how I liked them. Could also turn off newer players who find it confusing.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Well it's up to you, no matter how you set it, there will always be a part of the community complaining.
I myself prefer to distribute my points in skills/stats, so even if I fail at some point, it will still make my character unique. What can be considered a bad decision can also make up a reason for players to reset and go grinding again.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:10 PM
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubical View Post
Yeah me too, but when I started playing Maloria totally had to reset like 100 times to get my stats how I liked them. Could also turn off newer players who find it confusing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOmega View Post
I prefer to be able to add skills and stats, that way the game involves a bit more strategy in order to play 'successfully'
That is a fancy theory, but then it boils down to no strategy at all and players depending on only a handful of "tried and true" skills. Just because there is a wide variety of skills doesn't mean there's a constantly replayability factor - there's always going to be a "top tier" set up (or set ups) that people fall back on (which is bad).

In a situation where players can set their own skills, I like it best when there's very few skills, that way than can operate on a sort of rock-paper-scissors system where each option is superior in some cases, and inferior in other.

If there's going to be a lot of skills, they should be given automatically. If there's only a few, let the players choose them.

The whole "stat on level up" is lame. Rather than fixed stat increases when you level, or players selecting stat increases when they level, they should select them passively. The stat should increase as its used, during the gameplay, instead of on level up. The alternative of being able to set it yourself goes down the same roads as the skills, having an "expected" top tier stat set, or the game automatically setting it, which is just pretty much the same, only you indirectly select the stats.

[/whyiwillneverbeagamedesigner]
Old 10-17-2010, 11:11 PM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soala View Post
Well it's up to you, no matter how you set it, there will always be a part of the community complaining.
I myself prefer to distribute my points in skills/stats, so even if I fail at some point, it will still make my character unique. What can be considered a bad decision can also make up a reason for players to reset and go grinding again.
I like how you can add stats like in many mmos. I have never been a fan of skill trees or talents. I consider myself to have above average intelligence but sometimes I cannot figure out what to put skill points in and that's why I originally didn't like WoW.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Tee Hee
smirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to smirt362 Send a message via MSN to smirt362
Those last two choices are the same

Also, are you making a game Cubes?

Don Hertzfeldt <3
Old 10-17-2010, 11:17 PM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soala View Post
I like how you can add stats like in many mmos. I have never been a fan of skill trees or talents. I consider myself to have above average intelligence but sometimes I cannot figure out what to put skill points in and that's why I originally didn't like WoW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kia345 View Post
That is a fancy theory, but then it boils down to no strategy at all and players depending on only a handful of "tried and true" skills. Just because there is a wide variety of skills doesn't mean there's a constantly replayability factor - there's always going to be a "top tier" set up (or set ups) that people fall back on (which is bad).

In a situation where players can set their own skills, I like it best when there's very few skills, that way than can operate on a sort of rock-paper-scissors system where each option is superior in some cases, and inferior in other.

If there's going to be a lot of skills, they should be given automatically. If there's only a few, let the players choose them.

The whole "stat on level up" is lame. Rather than fixed stat increases when you level, or players selecting stat increases when they level, they should select them passively. The stat should increase as its used, during the gameplay, instead of on level up. The alternative of being able to set it yourself goes down the same roads as the skills, having an "expected" top tier stat set, or the game automatically setting it, which is just pretty much the same, only you indirectly select the stats.

[/whyiwillneverbeagamedesigner]
going to be like at certain levels you can rank up to a new class based on what your 2nd class was. think of them as subclasses

Adventurer - > Mage -> Priest
1st class - > 3 skills
2nd class -> 2 skills
3rd class -> 3 skills

maybe a few passive skills between
Quote:
Originally Posted by smirt362 View Post
Those last two choices are the same

Also, are you making a game Cubes?
A server, I'll never have the patience to learn everything I'd need to know to make a game. ha