Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2005, 06:10 AM
A Serious Epidemic
Googi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Googi
Hey, esteemed PWA team

How come all the playerworlds are so awful? I mean, the best playerworlds out there are Era and Unholy Nation. What's up with that?
Old 04-09-2005, 06:16 AM
PipBoy Extraordinaire!
Rick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googi
How come all the playerworlds are so awful? I mean, the best playerworlds out there are Era and Unholy Nation. What's up with that?
error: Inquiry contains opinion.

On a more serious note, point us to playerworlds you think are better.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:55 AM
Script Monkey
Kaimetsu will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googi
How come all the playerworlds are so awful?
Because Graal players are, generally speaking, awful at making playerworlds. And nobody will pay me to make a good one.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:29 AM
VIP runned out
ETD is on a distinguished road
We're working on N-Pulse best we can

It takes time to fix up a PW, but I think we've done well over the past 2 weeks or so.

Look for cool changes/additions to N-Pulse in the comming months
Old 04-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
A lot of the playerworlds on the playerlist are under development.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:49 AM
Ex-Graal Global
Spark910 has a spectacular aura about
There should be an offical team who work (paid work) and create worlds, because it's what Graal lacks.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:59 AM
Have A Drink On Me
AlexH is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AlexH Send a message via MSN to AlexH
I can't see Cyberjoueur paying people to work on playerworlds.
If anything they are going to pay people to work on Graal Kingdoms.
Although I do think N-Pulse looks nice. A lot better than I remember it but it just lacks quantity just now as far as I could see.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:08 PM
7 Words
Inspiration is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Inspiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimetsu
Because Graal players are, generally speaking, awful at making playerworlds. And nobody will pay me to make a good one.
Probably how a lot of people feel, though.

"I'm not getting paid, so why bother?"

It is hard to remain driven when there are very few rewards to reap.

1. Annoy everybody on an existing project by submitting or proposing changes that they don't want
2. Formally declare all existing projects to be complete crap
3. Talk at great length about the deficiencies of other projects
4. Get drunk
5. ???
6. Profit
Old 04-09-2005, 02:41 PM
Ex-Graal Global
Spark910 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexH
I can't see Cyberjoueur paying people to work on playerworlds.
If anything they are going to pay people to work on Graal Kingdoms.
Although I do think N-Pulse looks nice. A lot better than I remember it but it just lacks quantity just now as far as I could see.
Hmm, well, I would if I was them. Considering most players play that, and maybe to work on GK like you said - but I don't think a few updates here and there on GK will change anything, it wont make new players come.

Total new projects would more likely increase playercount, although they shouldn't totally abandon the old projects too.

But if there was an actual team developing, working full time or something, then they could actually do big worthwhile updates, that a lot of players care about.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Script Monkey
Kaimetsu will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark910
There should be an offical team who work (paid work) and create worlds, because it's what Graal lacks.
Yeah. Put a good word in for me
Old 04-09-2005, 02:54 PM
7 Words
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark910
But if there was an actual team developing, working full time or something, then they could actually do big worthwhile updates, that a lot of players care about.
Yeah pay me 100$ a week and I'll make more quality content than anyone knows what to do with.

It's unrealistic mostly because what was produced would have to be drawing in a steady stream of new paying players, to cover the staff costs.

Let's say you hired 2-3 level makers/world planners, 3 scripters, 2-3 graphic artists. That's about the minimun I'd want for such a project.

thats 700-900$ a week to just pay these people. Is it even realistic that that many pay to play accounts can be sold per weekf for this server?

If you start cutting costs or cutting staff, the project becomes undermanned, and neglected.
You would have to be able to offer people a game that can compete with other pay to play games, such as Lineage 2, World of WarCraft, Everquest 2, Ragnarok Online, ect.

With the old technology, this is probably impossible. With the 3D stuff, anything remains to be seen, but what is the chance a bunch of non-professional people can produce a product that can match the major companys?

1. Annoy everybody on an existing project by submitting or proposing changes that they don't want
4. Get drunk
5. ???
6. Profit
Old 04-09-2005, 03:47 PM
koopa1128 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to koopa1128 Send a message via Yahoo to koopa1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspiration
Yeah pay me 100$ a week and I'll make more quality content than anyone knows what to do with.

It's unrealistic mostly because what was produced would have to be drawing in a steady stream of new paying players, to cover the staff costs.

Let's say you hired 2-3 level makers/world planners, 3 scripters, 2-3 graphic artists. That's about the minimun I'd want for such a project.

thats 700-900$ a week to just pay these people. Is it even realistic that that many pay to play accounts can be sold per weekf for this server?

If you start cutting costs or cutting staff, the project becomes undermanned, and neglected.
You would have to be able to offer people a game that can compete with other pay to play games, such as Lineage 2, World of WarCraft, Everquest 2, Ragnarok Online, ect.

With the old technology, this is probably impossible. With the 3D stuff, anything remains to be seen, but what is the chance a bunch of non-professional people can produce a product that can match the major companys?

Graal competeing with WoW. As you said it is impossible, But if you gave Cyberjoueurs half the money that WoW and Everquest 2 rack in. Figure if they sold accounts like Graal does, Then maybe the game it self wouldn't be so great.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:53 PM
7 Words
Quote:
Originally Posted by koopa1128
Graal competeing with WoW. As you said it is impossible, But if you gave Cyberjoueurs half the money that WoW and Everquest 2 rack in. Figure if they sold accounts like Graal does, Then maybe the game it self wouldn't be so great.
To earn that money they would have to be developing on the level those companys do, and to develop on that level they'd have to be willing to take a risk and hire a skilled team.

When you have a bunch of kids who are unqualified to plan, develop, or manage a gaming server, and they arent paid, you can't expect impressive results.

4. Get drunk
5. ???
6. Profit
Old 04-09-2005, 04:32 PM
koopa1128 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to koopa1128 Send a message via Yahoo to koopa1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspiration
To earn that money they would have to be developing on the level those companys do, and to develop on that level they'd have to be willing to take a risk and hire a skilled team.

When you have a bunch of kids who are unqualified to plan, develop, or manage a gaming server, and they arent paid, you can't expect impressive results.

True that.

Old 04-09-2005, 04:42 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Servers will never be good. Why? Because they've all lost their strong communities. Ever since p2p hit in 2002, some communities broke down but there were still some. However slowly playerworlds lost it and meh, now graal sucks. The only server I play now is Val and thats because it's different than the rest. Everything is is just a clone of the other.