Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-12-2005, 07:06 AM
Script Monkey
Kaimetsu will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoZelda
No, but they'll have a quality server almost for free. This will probably draw more players to Graal
I doubt very much that this scheme of yours would lead to "quality servers". It never did before, and nowadays it's even more difficult a decent server offline.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:14 AM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
I love to develop, if you check to my first ever post I've attached my first map I ever made.

Sometimes I do wish that I got payed to work, but this is only the beggining for me; I take my skills from what I've learned from Graal Online and I use them in real life.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:16 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETD
\
You actually MAKE levels? I thought you just milk levels you made 2 years ago to make people think that you're good, then get hired for possitions and do nothing untill you're fired

My bad, I must have been mistaken
Shh dont ruin my master plan >_>!

Nah I make levels sometimes but they're usually offline. And yeah you're right, I go inactive on purpose because I lose interest and you know, become unmotivated. For one reason or another. Not my fault playerworlds suck these days, is it?
Old 04-12-2005, 02:56 PM
VIP runned out
ETD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerami
Not my fault playerworlds suck these days, is it?
People seem to be blaming the developers for the current playerworld quality, and so in that sence it IS your fault, along with the rest of us. If we can't create better quality work, then the playerworld system in a whole is doomed I think. Because it's up to us to keep things going. If playerworlds continue to stink, then I don't think GO itself will put that much work into improving over-all quality (unless the PWA steps in) And so they might just get removed all together at some point, in favor of maybe 2 classic-style GO run servers, where they can control the content and staff better.

Just some thoughts.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:01 PM
Banned
protagonist is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to protagonist Send a message via MSN to protagonist
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanDaMan
Dude, you don't only just script. Wasn't you LAT Chief on UN before you started scripting? Bit too late now
You're just maliciously attacking me. I was, yes, but you should know that making original levels that are nicely detailed takes time. I don't have that time to waste just to prove myself.

Quote:
You want G2K1 back? your more incompetitent than Lance,.
Huh? How do you figure? You're not even backing up your claims with fact. You're just saying stuff.
Quote:
I guess I myself and some of the community would take you more seriously if you did show off some of your work or something.
I have better things to do. I don't do stuff unless I take it under my responsibility list. Showing off isn't going to make that list any time soon.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:02 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETD
People seem to be blaming the developers for the current playerworld quality, and so in that sence it IS your fault, along with the rest of us.
Playerworld quality has a lot to do with communities these days. I mean whats the point of making a sexy overworld if you only have 12 players and know you wont get more? It's an issue for many playerworlds. Look at UN, their levels suck and they're still number 1. What can I say?

Quote:
If we can't create better quality work, then the playerworld system in a whole is doomed I think. Because it's up to us to keep things going. If playerworlds continue to stink, then I don't think GO itself will put that much work into improving over-all quality (unless the PWA steps in)
Motivation is a major factor for, I believe, all of us. For me, theres no hope in graal until a nice playerworld comes along.

Quote:
And so they might just get removed all together at some point, in favor of maybe 2 classic-style GO run servers, where they can control the content and staff better.
Dont think so =o

Quote:
Just some thoughts.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Mister 1,000,000
GoZelda will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to GoZelda Send a message via MSN to GoZelda
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETD
That makes NO sence at all. GO makes over $100 a year for each rented playerworld. If you make them all pass a test before even going private, then you're limited to maybe 5 or 6 playerworlds who will rent, instead of the 100+ now
I never mentioned anything about not hosting all those lousy playerworlds, did I? No. It would be an option for people not to have to pay all the fees for a playerworld, but will be able to put one online granted it is good quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimetsu
I doubt very much that this scheme of yours would lead to "quality servers". It never did before, and nowadays it's even more difficult a decent server offline.
But it still would be a worthwhile alternative, wouldn't it? Even if it doesn't work, GO doesn't lose any money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
stefan is satan
I am the best.
[URL removed]Music or aural pollution?
Old 04-12-2005, 05:30 PM
A Serious Epidemic
Googi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Googi
Quote:
GO doesn't lose any money.
No, but they would be losing an opportunity to make money from charging to host servers.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Script Monkey
Quote:
But it still would be a worthwhile alternative, wouldn't it? Even if it doesn't work, GO doesn't lose any money.
Jeez, man. Don't you understand the simplest economics? If you have less income then you will usually have less money.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Mister 1,000,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googi
No, but they would be losing an opportunity to make money from charging to host servers.
But they enlarge the chance of an opportunity for them to lure more players to play Graal.

Quote:
stefan is satan
I am the best.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Script Monkey
Quote:
But they enlarge the chance of an opportunity for them to lure more players to play Graal.
C'mon, dude. Step back and think about it.

1) The probability that a good, attractive playerworld will be created would not be increased by any large amount, if at all.
2) The loss of income would be significant.

If GO want to spend lots of money on a good playerworld, they should just pay me to make something.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:25 PM
Mister 1,000,000
Quote:
C'mon, dude. Step back and think about it.

1) The probability that a good, attractive playerworld will be created would not be increased by any large amount, if at all.
2) The loss of income would be significant.

If GO want to spend lots of money on a good playerworld, they should just pay me to make something.
I guess I'm not being clear enough.

Developer A makes a playerworld, but does not have the money to put it online.
Developer A contacts Unixmad/Stefan/whatever and asks if they can host his playerworld if it passes a certain level of quality (something like GK quality).
If the demands are met, the playerworld can go online.

Now I guess the tricky part kicks in here. The playerworld would be, at this point, without doubt a good, amusing playerworld. And so, people get an account so they can play it.

I guess you are right on the point that GO will not make any money if the playerworld is classic. But, if the PW has the quality of a Gold server and is put under the Gold tab, then it is another reason for people to upgrade to Gold/VIP, and so it could be means of making money.

Quote:
But nothing will ensure that your playerworld is a succes. I presume this success is the risk factor here. The 'alternative' playerworlds that GO would pass would be about the quality of what you would be able to make. And here comes the risk: Will the playerworld persuade enough players to upgrade to gold to make up for the 100$ fine to host one? If it does, then Graal probably has made money. But if Graal pays you to make a playerworld, then there is that risk factor too. Perhaps your playerworld is very good, but players are just not interested in it - then Graal has made a loss.

Of course, there are other advantages. As soon as your playerworld starts attracting less players up to the point that it isn't profitable anymore, it can be taken away like that *snap*. This is not the case with paid playerworlds.

agh, gotta go I'll try to be more clear later.

Quote:
stefan is satan
I am the best.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:49 PM
Script Monkey
Quote:
Developer A makes a playerworld, but does not have the money to put it online.
Developer A contacts Unixmad/Stefan/whatever and asks if they can host his playerworld if it passes a certain level of quality (something like GK quality).
If the demands are met, the playerworld can go online
So this would not be a replacement for the current system, but rather a supplement?

I think they would already accept super-great playerworld material without charging for it. It's just that nobody has submitted any.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Mister 1,000,000
Quote:
So this would not be a replacement for the current system, but rather a supplement?
Exactly. Replacing the current system with the one I proposed would as you all stated be a very bad move of GO.

Quote:
I think they would already accept super-great playerworld material without charging for it. It's just that nobody has submitted any.
Well, they already do so on a small scale with P2P servers by allowing players to submit GFX.

Quote:
stefan is satan
I am the best.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:55 PM
Script Monkey
Quote:
Well, they already do so on a small scale with P2P servers by allowing players to submit GFX.
And I submit that they also do so with playerworlds. Or, at least, they would if somebody offered something good.