Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-11-2005, 09:37 AM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by protagonist
Personally, I think that the PWA should, as a side project, direct a playerworld management team and hire some development people to construct some interesting worlds.
Yeah! you really helped when me and Spark made Graalympics!

Protagonist, you're always suggesting, get off your ass and do something about it show people that you are qualified. All you do is blab on about how you could change everything, try it, proove to me that you can do it I highly doubt you can.

[/END CHANT AGAINST PROTAGONIST]
Old 04-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Banned
protagonist is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to protagonist Send a message via MSN to protagonist
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanDaMan
Yeah! you really helped when me and Spark made Graalympics!
I volunteered, and I started making the menu for choosing a playerworld, but the scripting I was doing wasn't efficient so I decided to forfeit my job so that someone more qualified could make it. I wasn't asked to do anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanDaMan
Protagonist, you're always suggesting, get off your ass and do something about it show people that you are qualified. All you do is blab on about how you could change everything, try it, proove to me that you can do it I highly doubt you can.
Why? What incentive do I have? I have no desire to make things simply to show off. Give me a reason to spend more time than I would like to showing off (other than trying to please a relatively small group of the community).
Old 04-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by protagonist
I volunteered, and I started making the menu for choosing a playerworld, but the scripting I was doing wasn't efficient so I decided to forfeit my job so that someone more qualified could make it. I wasn't asked to do anything else.).
Dude, you don't only just script. Wasn't you LAT Chief on UN before you started scripting? Bit too late now

[QUOTE=protagonist]Why? What incentive do I have? I have no desire to make things simply to show off. Give me a reason to spend more time than I would like to showing off (other than trying to please a relatively small group of the community).[/QUOTE

You want G2K1 back? your more incompetitent than Lance,. I guess I myself and some of the community would take you more seriously if you did show off some of your work or something.

NOW DER IS A SUMMER PLAYRWURLD WIL U HELP SPARK?
Old 04-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Shaun will become famous soon enough
If any group has the skills to make a really good playerworld, they would likely figure out it's better to make their own game. That way, they own the rights to it (instead of GraalOnline grabbing them up), they don't have to pay Graal's rediculous fees (or require that each player on the world has to pay Graal), they have more control of the in-game content, they are limited only by their programming ability, and there are likely other advantages.

Right now, this is how Graal's playerworld system works:

Alpha needs a VIP account to even think about registering a playerworld: Alpha.money-=a;
Alpha registers a playerworld: Alpha.money-=b; Cyberjoueur.money+=b;
Alpha makes content for playerworld. Alpha.time-=c;
Linux Cyberjoueur owns intellectual rights to said content: Alpha.conent-=d; Cyberjoueur.content+=d;
Playerworld staff need to pay to work on playerworld: Staff.money-=a; Cyberjoueur.money+=xa;
Playerworld staff work on content: Staff.time-=kc;
Players need to pay to access playerworld: Player.money-=a; Cyberjoueur.money+=ya;

We take the sum of that, and we get:

Playerworld Manager's money: Initial - a -b
Playerworld Manager's time: Initial - c
Playerworld Manager's content ownership: Initial - d

Playerworld Staff's money: Initial - a
Playerworld Staff's time: Initial - kc

Playerworld Player's money: Initial - a

Cyberjoueur's money: Initial + a(x+y+1) + b
Cyberjoueur's content ownership: Initial + d

In the end, everybody loses, GraalOnline wins. Whenever you produce stuff, you are, in reality, paying GraalOnline to be given the right to volunteer.Yes, they do have all this available for you to use, but if you have the talent, you may as well make your own game.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Script Monkey
Kaimetsu will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
In the end, everybody loses, GraalOnline wins
That's a little oversimplistic, dude. Most people enjoy developing playerworlds.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Mister 1,000,000
GoZelda will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to GoZelda Send a message via MSN to GoZelda
I think it might be possible for Graalonline to spawn some decent PW's if they used the old system where you created an offline world and that would be reviewed. If it was good enough, it'd just be put online and no need to worry about paying cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
stefan is satan
I am the best.
[URL removed]Music or aural pollution?
Old 04-11-2005, 06:26 PM
Script Monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoZelda
I think it might be possible for Graalonline to spawn some decent PW's if they used the old system where you created an offline world and that would be reviewed
How would that lead to better playerworlds?

Also, would it be worth the loss of income? If Graal doesn't get enough funds, there won't be any playerworlds.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:45 PM
Mister 1,000,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimetsu
How would that lead to better playerworlds?
They'd need to pass a certain level of decency to be even allowed on the playerworld list.

Quote:
Also, would it be worth the loss of income? If Graal doesn't get enough funds, there won't be any playerworlds.
There won't really be any loss of income. Until the playerworld has passed the test, it won't be taking up any server space and when it has passed the test and passed like 2 months in beta then GraalOnline has atleast one more better PW that'll attract more players.

Quote:
stefan is satan
I am the best.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Script Monkey
Quote:
They'd need to pass a certain level of decency to be even allowed on the playerworld list
Well, it might increase the average quality, but is that so significant? People will gravitate towards whichever server they prefer. The less impressive ones will quietly die and harm nobody in the process.

Quote:
There won't really be any loss of income. Until the playerworld has passed the test, it won't be taking up any server space
Right. But will Graal be getting money from the server renting?
Old 04-11-2005, 08:26 PM
Mister 1,000,000
Quote:
Right. But will Graal be getting money from the server renting?
No, but they'll have a quality server almost for free. This will probably draw more players to Graal. (And, if Graal decides to be greedy, they can make it P2P so more people sign up for P2P to play it. Heck, with some marketing like releasing it fully for classics the first month then going P2P this might even work. All given it is good, of course.)

Quote:
stefan is satan
I am the best.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:45 PM
Zodiac Nub
Xcessive54321 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googi
How come all the playerworlds are so awful? I mean, the best playerworlds out there are Era and Unholy Nation. What's up with that?
it's because of all the trials they can only go to classic, so they go to the one thats thier favorite or the one with most people, and un has abunch of new stuff
Old 04-11-2005, 10:17 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
In the end, everybody loses, GraalOnline wins. Whenever you produce stuff, you are, in reality, paying GraalOnline to be given the right to volunteer.Yes, they do have all this available for you to use, but if you have the talent, you may as well make your own game.
I've known this and thank jebus I only make levels.

Easy and just way to boost my ego
Old 04-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Zodiac Nub
Xcessive54321 is on a distinguished road
use gamemaker for games man. but im lucky i make levels to
Old 04-11-2005, 10:48 PM
VIP runned out
ETD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No, but they'll have a quality server almost for free.
That makes NO sence at all. GO makes over $100 a year for each rented playerworld. If you make them all pass a test before even going private, then you're limited to maybe 5 or 6 playerworlds who will rent, instead of the 100+ now
Think about that... even if they only have 100 rented playerworlds, that's over $10,000 a year of income, and I am sure graal has more rented playerworlds than that.

Besides, to get past the private phase, each playerworld currently has to pass a quality inspection... I would agree that they could maybe make it harder for a PW to go hosted... but kicking all the paying playerworlds offline would just mean lost income. Since they have the server space already, they might as well use it.

Also, having a lot of private worlds has increased the number of developers... sure, a lot of the old famous ones have left, but a lot of people have gained basic developing knowlege by working on private playerworlds, where-as in the old system they might not have ever had a chance to learn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerami
I've known this and thank jebus I only make levels.

Easy and just way to boost my ego
You actually MAKE levels? I thought you just milk levels you made 2 years ago to make people think that you're good, then get hired for possitions and do nothing untill you're fired

My bad, I must have been mistaken
Old 04-12-2005, 12:47 AM
Coder
Mitch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mitch
The graalonline administrations would most likely abandon or reject plans of this specific nature. They gain money in return for hosting the game and updating, however it is most likely they do not wish to give money. I believe the company itself already has access to professional development teams.

If something like this were to happen, people from outside of graal would develop certain parts of the playerworld for money. I am betting mostly anything these people will be extremely advanced and very expensive, turning graal into an economically related mmorpg.