Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 03-25-2015, 04:47 PM
Ramsfan is on a distinguished road
Why did you play Era?

What is it that got you hooked to Era?

Quote:
Originally Posted by natchez416 View Post
You know what really made era great back in the day were these exclusive clubs, the privilege and corruption. I mean, I guess it's a double edged sword because people say this was the sort of thing that kept new players from playing the game. But honestly as a new player in the early 2000s, I remember feeling intrigued by the mystery of all these different exclusive organizations. Also, the privilege that was bestowed on select players really seemed to promote a hierarchical sort of environment which really made for a much more interesting game. Perhaps this is part of the reason gangs have gone downhill? They're no longer exclusive and there's no real hierarchy within them. It's so bad that gag raids aren't even organized or led by anyone in particular. Just sort of egalitarian, apathetic masses throwing themselves mindlessly at one another.
I started playing Era in 2006 when I was 11. I bought an account because my friend, Spike, told me Era was a computer version of Grand Theft Auto and I was currently banned on Runescape so I needed something to play. But anyway, what hooked me to start playing this silly game? Gangs.

I wanted to join a gang. Problem was, whenever I walked into a base, everybody murdered me. So it motivated me to keep playing, get better, and get my revenge. One of the biggest challenges I overcame as a new player was practicing at the sparring complex. It was almost always full of way more experienced PKers than I was. And I had to walk from the hospital back to the spar complex each time I died, because I was poor and couldn't afford the revives - talk about struggle. But, every time I walked back it gave me motivation to win the next one, to improve, and start beating some of the gang members.

Finally, after several weeks of grinding, BB added me. SHOUT OUT TO BLAZIAN BANDITS. I felt like such a badass. One year later, I was leading the gang myself. Gangs are what motivated me to continue playing Era for as long as I have. What about you?

*Pic Related - BB in 07*
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bb raid bigger.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	55794  
Old 03-25-2015, 05:39 PM
Butterscotch Pudding
shrimps is a splendid one to beholdshrimps is a splendid one to beholdshrimps is a splendid one to beholdshrimps is a splendid one to behold
Economy, buying,selling,trading and building my empire and also the aspect of owning a business, which I've almost always had possession of one. These are the things that brought me to Era.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:00 PM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsfan View Post
I was currently banned on Runescape

What about you?

*Pic Related - BB in 07*
Laming with the only flak on the server like a true PK master.
How do you even manage to get banned on (what was at the time) beta runescape.
---------

I started Graal in 04' when I was 10. I had gotten my account hacked/scammed on Diablo for the umpteenth time and I decided to aol search for 'online games'.

I started playing runescape on mini-clip but it was just too boring so I searched deep into the depths of the web and I found 'Zone'. I played Zone for awhile as a blue-bandit named xXRougeKillerXx (yes I spelt it wrong); this is where I met my first Graalm8 Nick (xAzerothx) who made me my first email account and got me hooked on Warcraft; as well as some other notable Graalm8s like Sean, Zombeh, Icey, BFs, etc. Zone lasted a couple months but my player would reset daily so I eventually got annoyed of getting photon'd and tried the other gun server Era.

I spent my first days digging shells and buying pizzas; then following around gangs and giving them pizzas (I wore a green outfit and named myself 'piza boy' of which I later did a parody for some time with Blaze; running around with pizza peels screaming 'piza' and axing people). I eventually found myself aligned with and only giving pizzas to BB to which Sia (an overseer of the gang) began to *temp* me whenever I logged on. I worked for a day in the BB mines with Sales and some others (I specifically remember Sales because he got a 5-diamond drop from the rock machine) to purchase an AK and I would bury it 10 paces left of the eggroll shack for when my player reset daily.

I eventually stopped spending time on pizzas and started PKing with BB and helping stock SP with BB and essentially doing everything with this gang. Since my stats weren't recording Sia then gave me a classic account to play on as-long as I helped him earn 50k to buy a DR. I used this account to play some dev servers too; where on one particular server Alfonso and Bloo used a random-stick to change my outfit thousands of times. Out of this I saved two; one of a Duck and one of a Cat. Back on Era however I was given the rank Rogue in BB based on my original nickname... but I usually had no nickname on (trying to hide behind trees) so people would just refer to me as 'rogue' since nobody else had the rank.

And bam.. I played for a year or so until my PC died in the summer of 06'. When I got a new PC I mostly played WoW or D2: LoD since it could run those games much smoother. But I eventually stumbled back onto Graal -- however since I was using my original account (not Sia's) nobody knew me and I was never able to get a Classic subscription on this account. I played Utopia, Ol' West, GK, Zod, Zone, UN... and learned to Dev under the Alias Rogue using my Duck outfit. This is where I met most of (shout-outs) my other Graalm8s like Chris (cbk)/Tehpuppy (deathofra)/Alex & Romain on GK, Kale/Lev/Mage/Smogy/Meph on OW, Alf/Vet/Shiori/Dan/too many people here on Utopia, Rog/Torque/Aly & Friends on Zod, Kev on UN... many others.

I eventually came back to Era to claim my throne (meeting most of you scrubs in the process, like Nate who made this stupid throwbaq-thread); but since the player-count was much larger than my Dev servers some random guy was using a duck outfit... thus I used the Cat one and GGWP I was born.

tl;dr Graal is really ****ing hard to find. Era is a **** server unless theres a ton of community/gang interaction.

R.I.P. Graal

Last edited by Supaman771; 03-25-2015 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: ~Shoutouts to all the individuals who made me keep playing
Old 03-25-2015, 06:27 PM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
I enjoyed developing on Era, that's what kept me around for so long. Now I get paid to develop for a real company, rather than just a fun hobby.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:47 PM
ooger will become famous soon enough
Made this account in like 2003? or somewhere around when i was in 5th grade because a friend recommended it. Basically only played when I could all-nighter with friends and we would swap off on zone or something because the pking was so fun (would just change my head to the bunny and mass out on comms 'here comes peter cotton pimp' got disconnected a lot)
Started playing Era in like 2011, stick around to chat with the friends I've made and to collect pink hats.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:06 PM
asdfg
BlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to behold
Started a while back, not too sure when. I was your typical poor newbie trying to find a good way to make money. I wouldn't get hired anywhere until one day someone said I should change my nickname from "unknown" to something better. I went by the name "~Donut Tester~" (in hopes of getting hired at DD, which I did soon after). After a year or two, I released how noobie that looked so I changed it to "~DT~" soon after I removed the ~ because wtf was I thinking. My first gang was BB, but I enjoyed the good gang of players we had at LS (Lethal Securities). I remember ranking up and being able to wear that hat and save up and buy a glock. I quit for a while because I was interested in other things and started working. When I came back, I had development skills from previous work experience and was curious how it worked on graal. That's when moondeath showed me some stuff and Tim and MD added me to Era Dev.

What got me hooked was the players and the raiding, even if it was a laggy mess from hell.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:26 PM
Kohola_KinG is on a distinguished road
I first started playing era around 03/04. I was harassed in school by friends, snow etc to play this awesome game they had found. I always declined and told myself I'd never be a nerd and start playing pc games. I eventually decided to check it out and loved it. However, my pc was a piece of trash and would FPS every 2 seconds which effected me raiding and sparing and probably never got a kill. I always wanted to get involved in the raids and sparing and of course become one of the best players on the game.

I could never achieve this because of my trashy PC. So i stuck to merching items which i ended up getting good at and getting some guns scammed off me including my p90 and black lotus from Sebastien. I then used the same tricks on savage to get my stuff back. Good times. I then got sick of the FPS problems i was facing and due to real life things i quit.

I came back in 07/08 and been here ever since and my skill level had tripled for some weird reason. Main reasons for playing was gangs and sparing. Nothing else ever mattered to me.

The game has went downhill so much from the first days of playing to now. So many new faces and the development has never really progressed. Pitty. I feel like my time is up now on era and that i am now moving on again. I doubt i'd ever be active again but i would never say never.

Great game during my childhood days.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:09 PM
Ramsfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaman771 View Post
Laming with the only flak on the server like a true PK master.
Good times. It was the KoTH MVP Prize.

Quote:
How do you even manage to get banned on (what was at the time) beta runescape.
I was a little **** on runescape, and ended up getting reported to mods for scamming. Not very ironic, as I was a huge scammer on Era before the reset took place.

Quote:
I eventually found myself aligned with and only giving pizzas to BB to which Sia (an overseer of the gang) began to *temp* me whenever I logged on. I worked for a day in the BB mines with Sales and some others.
I remember mining with you in the BB mines, didn’t know you were the pizza noob until now.

Quote:
I eventually came back to Era to claim my throne (meeting most of you scrubs in the process, like Nate who made this stupid throwbaq-thread)
Too bad you cant PK as good as you made pizzas for SP and Dominoes. /burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Rocks View Post
I enjoyed developing on Era, that's what kept me around for so long. Now I get paid to develop for a real company, rather than just a fun hobby.
You had the coolest house in SR.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:17 AM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
I tried to recreate the outside, it just didn't feel the same.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:31 AM
natchez416 will become famous soon enough
I think that's pretty cool that Tim got his start as a developer on graal. I picked up pixel art on graal and I know a number of others that can say the same.

Anyone remember the kuraiittou mansion on SR? All the different secret passageways. That's what I mean by corruption and exclusive clubs. Along with PPA, PI, and of course gangs.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:28 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by natchez416 View Post
I think that's pretty cool that Tim got his start as a developer on graal. I picked up pixel art on graal and I know a number of others that can say the same.
I think this is true for a lot more Graal developers than is generally recognized. I definitely don't regret the ridiculous amount of hours I put into Graal as a kid. They've already more than paid off in real-life opportunities based on the skills I acquired.

(Although I do kind of regret all the drama I participated in, and being a **** to a lot of people.)
Old 03-26-2015, 04:13 AM
Banned
Godzilla has a spectacular aura about
I have too many memories on this game, even till this day Graal has been a good companion to come back to.

Shout-out to Skyline and his crew for leaving his house open one night where I stumbled upon the highly priced Browning Automatic Rifle in the later stages when there were a ton of guns.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:11 AM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsfan View Post
Too bad you cant PK as good as you made pizzas for SP and Dominoes. /burn
Oh that's why you asked me, fk u.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:02 AM
Stay Frosty
WillaWonka will become famous soon enough
started in 2007 was i was 12, mainly visited the Zone server, went on Era every once in a while, didnt stay long because of the OBS mode, but it seemed harder and more violent then zone, so after a few sabbaticals from playing Graal, I finally decided to try and get a gun on Era, and that was the end of the beginning. Now the game is ***** footed and politically correct, not a threatening game anymore, guess it was just age that grew me apart.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:34 AM
Sinkler is a jewel in the roughSinkler is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Sinkler
I started around 2003. My brother (JEM) and his friend played so I decided to join in. They played a boring server called Valikorlia - I think it's still barely in existence. I predominantly played Era. It was fun. Then I became FAQ in October of 2008 and since then I had been a staff member on many servers culminating to PWA in 2012.

If you need to get in contact with me, please send an e-mail to: [email protected]

"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that."

-John Stuart Mill