Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:15 AM
N-Pulse Assistant Manager
coreys has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to coreys Send a message via MSN to coreys Send a message via Yahoo to coreys
WARNING: Following post may instill a great feeling of tl;dr in the reader.

Uhm, I guess I'll try and fill in some pieces from when Maniaman handed over management to me.

I joined the Maloria staff fairly late in v2 as a GAT by persistence of Laslow. I fairly quickly made my way up to Developer and almost immediately joined the v3 team, though in a minor role. This was when Zero was heading up v3 development. For reasons I don't quite remember, Ziro left, and I became the Head Developer, but not too long after I had to resign that position because I falling very far behind in school.

Fast forward maybe 6 months or so later, not entirely sure how long. Maniaman obviously needed the help, Zero had left, and I felt that I could commit the time to Maloria and came back (as Head Developer, again). At first I tried to see if I could work with Zeros systems, but to be honest with you they were very complex, probably more so than needed. And me and Maniaman decided that not only were the systems too complex to be a viable option without the expertise of Zero, but the gameplay just wasn't what we were looking for.

So we started over. Maniaman had his own ideas and plan that was actually mostly complete, and I attempted to script the systems myself but at the time I wasn't quite ready for that advanced of scripting and recruited a scripter who learned mostly from Inverness (who ended up being my more or less mentor as well, and who I had worked with before Maloria on Aeon) named Stan. He was talented enough for the job, to be sure, but we would have our disagreements and one time it became too much and he quit with a half finished server. This became a similar situation as when after Zero left and by this point Maniaman had resigned and given the Manager position to me.

So, I started over again, this time somewhat able to script everything myself (albeit with help from people like Chompy), but with little plan and little staff and very little support from the Maloria community. I don't blame them for this, I was starting over again. To this day I don't know if that was the right decision or not. I know I was not nearly prepared enough and did not handle my duty well during this whole time though I to this day believe that my overall vision for Maloria is better than what I see now.

My decisions as far as gameplay were concerned were driven mostly by discussion with my asst manager, Nate. I had him as my assistant because not only did he know the server better than most and was (at the time) loyal to Maloria, but he would not hold his tongue. He gave criticism where it was needed. When it came to gameplay I mostly payed attention to his advice. Unfortunately I had become rather arrogant at the time, something I'd like to think I'm now beyond, and when it came to overall management I didn't listen to him, and I payed for it.

So over the months I toiled on Maloria which few staff, most of which were fairly inactive and/or did not do much work, all the while facing considerable outcry from Malorias devout players about my Management. I began falling back in school again, this time with my senior year coming up to worry about, and more stress than anyone should have to endure for a video game, and awareness that I had screwed up pretty bad.

I knew that if I kept going this route that I would drive Maloria to the ground, so I resigned. Rather than give the position to Nate, however, I gave it to Josh, who had payed for the server. But he apparently did not want it, and from what I remember gave it over to Ziro and Nate, which I did not approve of, but what could I do? After this I essentially quit Graal for at least a year and quickly moved on.

I know little of what happened afterwards, you'd have to ask Ziro, as I stopped having an active interest in Maloria. I don't look back at my management in a positive light, there are so many things I would have done differently, but I still believe that what I had planned for Maloria was much better than what seems to be in store for it now.

Quote:
*SlikRick: so should I even ask about your aim status?
*Xor: well if you want to
*Xor: but i am LARPING
*SlikRick: While on a computer?
*Xor: yes
*Xor: in my living room
*SlikRick: ahh
*Xor: i have a fort setup to hide from beasts
Old 02-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Vima is an unknown quantity at this point
Stop living in the past.
Whats done has been done, now let's look forward!
Old 02-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vima View Post
Stop living in the past.
Whats done has been done, now let's look forward!
The future can't exist without remembering what happened in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreys View Post
I joined the Maloria staff fairly late in v2 as a GAT by persistence of Laslow. I fairly quickly made my way up to Developer and almost immediately joined the v3 team, though in a minor role.
I'm fairly sure that you quit your GAT job at one point, and a couple of weeks/months later were rehired by me as Developer, and quickly obtained the title "Assistant Ziro" (which was a joke for Assistant Developer Admin). Good times.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 02-08-2010, 09:54 PM
No memory dump.
BinaryCrash is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to BinaryCrash Send a message via MSN to BinaryCrash
Good old days of Maloria.

I remember Maloria had 120+ players at day launch and after that keep 80+ players until people got bored and so on was 50+ players until i left.

I was managing it for more than one year, and in that time even the simplest farm system was news for playerworlds.

But we can't think just bringing the past all together to the present the success is guaranteed... Everything changed, from the players to the Graal itself. Remembering the good old days are useful to inspire new staff. Also it's important to remember the mistakes as it prevent (or should) such things happen again.

I remember i used to be a developer and manager (in that time was still alled "Owner"), and i know (like the others managers) it takes too much time of your day. Graal changed alot, i keep an eye on it and i see the bigged mistake the staff still make is to keep everything centralized. The NAT keep their ideas hold fearing someone will copy it and put on another playerworld (stealing authoring) and whenever the NAT left the staff, it carry the unfinished projects with him.

Before Maloria i was Staff Admin at Enigma (taken down by Stefan when Warcaptain stealed scripts from other server).

Staff carry a lot of responsibility, it's not just time spent.
It's common every staff one day will get busy with other things than graal and eventually left the staff.
I remember i started playing Graal when i was 15 years old, actively played it ntil 22 and then got VERY away as my life and job took all the free time away. Since then i see people want more and more sophisticated scripts/systems. And the adventure/action game turned into a MMORPG style.

With all the new games comming up, Graal would have to change the payment system to increase the number of active players. Like setting it free to play with only special Servers having to pay to play.

Actually the free account is not enough.

A Hug to every old friend. You always can reach me at my email binarycrash aat binarycrash d0t net
Old 02-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Send a message via AIM to coreys Send a message via MSN to coreys Send a message via Yahoo to coreys
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
I'm fairly sure that you quit your GAT job at one point, and a couple of weeks/months later were rehired by me as Developer, and quickly obtained the title "Assistant Ziro" (which was a joke for Assistant Developer Admin). Good times.
Good times indeed
But no, I quit after you did I'm fairly certain.

Quote:
Old 02-09-2010, 01:15 AM
WaDaFack is an unknown quantity at this point
Pfffffffffffffft. I never got the chance to play Mal.
But, if you guys really liked old Mal, shouldn't there be a backup file for the whole server?

Old 02-09-2010, 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaDaFack View Post
Pfffffffffffffft. I never got the chance to play Mal.
But, if you guys really liked old Mal, shouldn't there be a backup file for the whole server?
Maniaman might still have a backup but that's irrelevant. I don't even want to know how broken that would be if you tried to use it now.

Quote:
Old 02-09-2010, 03:12 AM
Maniaman is on a distinguished road
I have a copy of old mal, v1, and v2. There are random bits and pieces of various v3 projects laying around as well.

I currently have no plans to release them though, except maybe to previous managers/high admins.

Also yes, they are/would be horribly broken if uploaded to a gserver right now.

Edit: whoah BinaryCrash appears out of nowhere. How are things going?

Current Maloria Event: (click to go to it)
Old 02-09-2010, 04:54 PM
No memory dump.
BinaryCrash is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to BinaryCrash Send a message via MSN to BinaryCrash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniaman View Post
I have a copy of old mal, v1, and v2. There are random bits and pieces of various v3 projects laying around as well.

I currently have no plans to release them though, except maybe to previous managers/high admins.

Also yes, they are/would be horribly broken if uploaded to a gserver right now.
I had a backup on DVD, but it's unreadable now.

Would you please email me the backup Maniaman?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniaman View Post
Edit: whoah BinaryCrash appears out of nowhere. How are things going?
actually i have a google alert on my nickname and that is how i got noticed about this topic.

Things are better now, married, working in the area i like.
After graal i helped another friend from Graal to make a online game, actually it was not for commercial, but for hobby. "Auroria Online", i was coding the game server. The game itself was never finished.
After that i went to play other games, helped coding an anti-cheat for game Delta Force Black Hawk Down. An 3D shoot action game from novalogic. It was a community project.
And then after i moved to help TERRA Networks at Brazil with their gamming servers.

I also have my own dedicated servers at Brazil and USA. My job consist of programming (Delphi/PHP/Java) and Administrating Servers, Linux and Windows.

I don't know if i showed you, but early in 2001/2002 i created a small tool to help me browse graal heads. It was called Graal Head Viewer and i showed it only to a few as i created it for personal use.

I hope i am not breaking forum rules by posting the link: http://www.binarycrash.net/members/i...ead_Viewer.zip
(remember it was made for personal use so i didn't care about making a "fancy" tool, and made it only in one hour and also eating food, so it's ugly interface.)
Old 02-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Rjax Shizibz
Dnegel will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryCrash View Post
Helped coding an anti-cheat for game Delta Force Black Hawk Down.
I remember that game, but I cant seem to find it anywhere in my room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryCrash View Post
I hope i am not breaking forum rules by posting the link: http://www.binarycrash.net/members/i...ead_Viewer.zip
(remember it was made for personal use so i didn't care about making a "fancy" tool, and made it only in one hour and also eating food, so it's ugly interface.)
I tryed this, and it's amazing! Why haven't i've found this before?!
Old 02-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreys View Post
Maniaman might still have a backup but that's irrelevant. I don't even want to know how broken that would be if you tried to use it now.
I have backups (that should be uploaded on Maloria as well) of v2, original v3, one/two other v3's as well as the current v3. Missing some v2 stuff though, mainly dungeons.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 02-09-2010, 10:53 PM
I've gone through one laptop, two hard-drives, and numerous OS installs along the way, so my v2 and two different v3 backups are long gone, unfortunately.

Quote:
Old 02-09-2010, 11:51 PM
tempandrew is on a distinguished road
Okay this is the same thing I hear with Babylon over and over again. And it's really getting silly, annoying, and ridiculous.

I don't care how much you loved an old server, it can't be released in the same state it went down in. It won't work, people won't play, globals will not allow it to be put back up. Servers go down for a reason.

Both Maloria and Babylon share the trait that their old versions have poor and inefficient scripting, mediocre LATing, (actually some parts of old Babylon actually pass as decent in modern leveling criticism), and plain old sub-par gameplay. You think it'd be fun today, but that's only because you remember it from a time when it was top quality. But today it's not and you'd understand it if anyone was out of their mind enough to actually do that. Though it doesn't matter because globals would never pass it in inspection.

Servers need to pass specific protocols and standards in order to be allowed to be put on Hosted or Classic. Trust me. I was a well known regular in both Babylon's past and Maloria's. Having those two servers around today as they were would be a disaster.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:24 AM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
If there is a checklist if things your server needs to do before you can be put on the classic tab I haven't seen it. Where to find?
Old 02-10-2010, 01:32 AM
Indigo
Immolate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempandrew View Post
(actually some parts of old Babylon actually pass as decent in modern leveling criticism)
I guess that's mostly due to Crono and Infernix.
Closed Thread