Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Graphic Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-09-2011, 06:41 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demisis_P2P View Post
You're much better off making the tiles light and grey and then using a seteffect on the level to make them dark and purple/red/green/brown.
I was about to suggest this. The tiles right now remind me of a backpal or seteffect on top of regular tiles. Why make the tiles dark if you can make them dark with an effect? It makes the tiles more multipurpose.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:14 AM
GFX
DemonSpawnn will become famous soon enough

Well, I redid the grass and dirt a bit, but they aren't supposed to be very noticeable.
I also added some depth to the walls with an indentation. Right now I am considering adding lanterns on the walls with a green glow. I honestly don't think a set effect would look good on it..
Old 01-10-2011, 01:23 AM
Delteria
Cloven has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Cloven
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonSpawnn View Post

Well, I redid the grass and dirt a bit, but they aren't supposed to be very noticeable.
I also added some depth to the walls with an indentation. Right now I am considering adding lanterns on the walls with a green glow. I honestly don't think a set effect would look good on it..
Yeah I'd say you'll need to add some light sources here and there. On its own your levels like this would be far too dark and likely require people to have to edit their display settings, heh.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:13 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
I think this is going in a very dark direction, and not for the better. You can achieve a gloomy feeling without making the player look at a near-black screen the whole time.

I made a very rough edit, and when I say rough I mean rough. I only edited a few parts, like some pillars, some portion of the walls, the stairs, the floor. I think contrast is something being neglected here. I upped the contrast in my edit merely by placing some black strategically. Also, the reason your stairs were suffering so bad is because they lacked a black line, and the step themselves(the underside?) were softened with your method of shading where a solid block of pixels makes it much more obvious. I didn't touch the door though, and the pits seems to have suffered from my color replacements.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:54 AM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future

played with it some... left shows one of the originals (from a few posts above this one), and my edited version, and a version with a graphic that keeps it slightly darker outside a players lighted circle of sorts.

right is just my edit itself.

Also had to desaturate my player quite a bit in order to not appear as a brightly colored cartoon on these tiles :o
Old 01-10-2011, 06:04 AM
Luda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Luda
NBC logo on top of door haha
Old 01-10-2011, 06:32 AM
GFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Also, the reason your stairs were suffering so bad is because they lacked a black line, and the step themselves(the underside?) were softened with your method of shading where a solid block of pixels makes it much more obvious. I didn't touch the door though, and the pits seems to have suffered from my color replacements.
Ah, I see now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
played with it some... left shows one of the originals (from a few posts above this one), and my edited version, and a version with a graphic that keeps it slightly darker outside a players lighted circle of sorts.
right is just my edit itself.
Also had to desaturate my player quite a bit in order to not appear as a brightly colored cartoon on these tiles :o
I really love the usage of warmer colors here it looks fantastic, I must try it. I had thought of doing a lighting effect, but the light beam doesn't really make sense, considering crypts are primarily underground. Also we do have a script to darken the character. :3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luda View Post
NBC logo on top of door haha
Ya, well its below the NBC headquarters, here lies all their failed shows... Its really packed in here.

Thanks for all the help guys, It should be just about done, I won't spam anymore updates on this now until I do some massive changes.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Tee Hee
smirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to smirt362 Send a message via MSN to smirt362
No keep spamming updates, it's the only active graphics thread on the forum at the moment

Don Hertzfeldt <3
Old 01-13-2011, 05:03 AM
GFX
Well, Ill just throw that crypt project some were and finish it later.. Here is what I did tonight...

I kinda went crazy with those roots and knotholes, Not very proportionate either...
Old 01-13-2011, 05:34 AM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Sweet dude.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 01-13-2011, 06:03 AM
:o
Mykel has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Mykel Send a message via MSN to Mykel
Quote:
Well, Ill just throw that crypt project some were and finish it later.. Here is what I did tonight...

I kinda went crazy with those roots and knotholes, Not very proportionate either...
It looks a bit odd with the leaves being so centered with the middle of the trunk despite the turn to the left that it takes.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:00 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Clearly it's a sleeping treant. When he raises he will murder us all...

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:55 AM
GFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulg0reSama View Post
Clearly it's a sleeping treant. When he raises he will murder us all...
Now that I think about it.. I might just want to try that.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
That tree is very very dark, and the perspective doesn't look quite right -- it seems much too side-on.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:09 AM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demisis_P2P View Post
That tree is very very dark, and the perspective doesn't look quite right -- it seems much too side-on.
A tutorial I made some time ago for a GAT of mine...maybe it helps him too