Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2006, 12:12 AM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
GC: Proposal

It appears to me that Classic has lagged behind all the other servers once again. On every other server I am on, GCs do not have the ability to summon players all over the place and block off whatever they'd like to get an event done. Therefore, I propose the implementation of a new system, a GUI or warp ring used to warp into a GCs event after it's been announced.

I do believe it is a good thing for the GC team to have such an extensive tool, as it allows for interesting game variants and when put to good use, can turn the ordinary into extraordinary. However, GCs do have more abilities from the get-go than most staff members ever get. The GCs have more abilities to effect in-game play than the LATs do, with their ability to block off areas for reason, restrict access to levels, etc.

as a starter, I suggest GCs lose some of their abilities to summon players as they want. I also suggest they not be given the ability to go to any level they want, seal it off, and declare it for usage of an event. If we need to do that for events, than we need to make new levels for the GC team to use.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:38 AM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
Hm, the warp ring idea's a good one.
I kinda like the idea of it being more localized and player-controlled...like, we take the entire overworld, copy just the tiles to gc_level13.nw (etc), then the GCs (or ideally a handfull of players that reserved the timeslot) can do whatever they like with the gc_ set: they can lock off the city limits and have a PK fest, whatever. The tools would have basically unlimited power - even burn down the bank for fun power - but only in the GC realm, without effects that extend beyond it.

I really like the idea of players making an appointment to run an event. Makes it more exciting - Billy put in a week ago for a guild war at 3 o'clock, etc. Then code it so the more people attend, the better prize Billy's authorized to give the winner...

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 11-28-2006, 04:17 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
I proposed a system a long while ago (November/December) where events became something like Halo multiplayer/Xbox Live. Any player would have access to a options menu, where you could select options, such as gametypes, game limits, etc. When the person is finished selecting the options, the event they scheduled would be placed in a queue, where another player could see, and join up. A player could set rewards (out of things they've obtained, like tickets and gralats), and whoever won would get the prize(s). Of course a GC would take priority over other people's events (most likely course would be cancelling all events in the queue, or disabling certain events until the GC is finished hosting). Ideally all events could be held in a central location and there wouldn't be a need to warp players, all they would need to do is select the game in the queue and press join.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:58 PM
The Flying Dutchmen
DutchGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
this idea is better then the one we have right now... summoning players is bs..
every event being held contains the same players all over again. It's the same group of people always playing events... placing warps, or whatever makes it an equal shot for everyone ...rather then having to race yourself by sending in a pm with your accountname...trying to be faster then the rest.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:06 AM
Doctor Who?
jacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
I proposed a system a long while ago (November/December) where events became something like Halo multiplayer/Xbox Live. Any player would have access to a options menu, where you could select options, such as gametypes, game limits, etc. When the person is finished selecting the options, the event they scheduled would be placed in a queue, where another player could see, and join up. A player could set rewards (out of things they've obtained, like tickets and gralats), and whoever won would get the prize(s). Of course a GC would take priority over other people's events (most likely course would be cancelling all events in the queue, or disabling certain events until the GC is finished hosting). Ideally all events could be held in a central location and there wouldn't be a need to warp players, all they would need to do is select the game in the queue and press join.
Hooray for your idea.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:39 AM
Former Classic Staff
jake13jake will become famous soon enough
I like the current GC system.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:34 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake13jake View Post
I like the current GC system.
Amazing. Care to actually add something to the conversation?
Old 11-29-2006, 06:30 AM
Doctor Who?
jacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to behold
I like Max's idea, it could be a requirement to be an active player hoster to even be considered for GC.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:44 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
I have to agree with Massokre, I'm also fond of the current Game Coordinator setup on Classic. I spent a few weeks on Unholy Nation, and the events there seem almost robotic, same faces, same places and there's hardly variety or interaction between the Events Team staff and the players, the only actions the Events Team are required is to chose an event, announce it, start, hand out prize - this could be done easily without the requirement of player staff, if it were to be scripted correctly.

Classic has an event system where players have options, sure, summoning players may be tedious, but it's all a part of the job. I also dislike the idea of restricting the the areas to where events can be hosted. Currently Classic's overworld is huge compared to what is actually used by players (most hanging around in the center, never really venturing out) so with the team hosting events in different areas, it spreads the players out more and makes more use of the land.

Just my thoughts.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:57 PM
Bells doppleganger
nikomi946 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to nikomi946 Send a message via AIM to nikomi946 Send a message via Yahoo to nikomi946
I just think you're trying to replace all the staff with brainless robot npc's like we use for the jail.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:19 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikomi946 View Post
I just think you're trying to replace all the staff with brainless robot npc's like we use for the jail.
Not even close.

My system leads more towards events that can be hosted by players, like we seen many years ago. My system would not make any event automated, supervision is still required (by a GC or the player who created it). A GC would still have use of most of their tools, if they chose to improvise during an event (maybe even allowing other players use of the GC tools while inside the event area, with limitations of course). My system ultimately is more controlled, lessons the burden on the GCs (keeping track of players joined and whatnot). Nothing is automated, really it takes out most of the pre-event garbage.

Actually, if you dislike my system, could you please make an informative answer as to why (explain your reasoning).
Old 11-30-2006, 12:35 AM
Bells doppleganger
nikomi946 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to nikomi946 Send a message via AIM to nikomi946 Send a message via Yahoo to nikomi946
We had the ability to do player hosted events not so long ago. Last year I believe. Secret used to do them all the time for his guild for them to get promotions. Just not quite as elaborate as you're talking about I don't believe.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:41 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Maybe I should sit down and write up a complete explanation to my system. I think it would be more efficient than the current.
I'm half and half with this idea, yet I doubt it would be implimented.

I think this system may well place Classic's events in the same boat as UN's are right now, they have masses and masses of event after event and they just become extremely boring and repetative. The events on Classic are more rare then on UN, which gives them more of a value based on their rarity.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:58 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikomi946 View Post
We had the ability to do player hosted events not so long ago. Last year I believe. Secret used to do them all the time for his guild for them to get promotions. Just not quite as elaborate as you're talking about I don't believe.
Yes, I remember. Problem with events like that is security, lack of support caused by inability to advertise, etc. With my system, all someone would have to do is check the queue, see the event, and join. Maybe as an addition to my idea, a notification system be included, where maybe the NPC server could 'mass' for a player when they're running an 'unofficial' event (of course you'd be able to disable this masses if you don't wish to hear them).

Maybe I should sit down and write up a complete explanation to my system. I think it would be more efficient than the current.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:07 AM
Former Classic Staff
jake13jake will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Write an outline and an order of tasks that need to be done. That's what programmers do.