Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-10-2012, 08:16 PM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
A hope for a new graal server/game?

Hello!

As I'm sure some of you know, a website named 'Kickstarter' has been around for awhile. Recently though it has really began to shoot off and start producing quite a lot of money for developers, whom would otherwise be just like us, with monetary incentive.

I 'd like to hear thoughts or concerns about wether some of the dedicated developers on graal should come together and finally produce something alongside the help of kickstarter. This would, I think, provide a much better motivation than simply looking forward to the end product on our side.

I've seen projects that contain nothing more than a promise and screenshots with RPGmaker tilesets earn $12,000+. If we could get something going, I'm sure we could make at least that much in donations to really get us going along in development.

Again, I'd like to hear questions and concerns on this idea, and of course hear from people who would love to be a part of this if it ever got under way. Things like "what genre" and "Ipod or classic or what" should be better off left until it actually got going on kickstarter, and better left for the team that would be developing.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
As I told you on AIM, I think this is a great idea!

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 04-10-2012, 08:24 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
if only my dev skill wasnt the most useless of the three. if money is involved i'll make levels for anything though. no shame son.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:30 PM
iphone era sad litle mads
Felix_Xenophobe is a splendid one to beholdFelix_Xenophobe is a splendid one to beholdFelix_Xenophobe is a splendid one to beholdFelix_Xenophobe is a splendid one to beholdFelix_Xenophobe is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Felix_Xenophobe
as long as you get together outside graal and have complete control of whatever you are doing. otherwise ur gonna end up 4 years down the road on the gold playerworld list like a worn out prostitute with your gelat shop gaping wide. neat idea tho just dont do it with graal
Originally Posted by Tashkin
I have done 10x the amount any previous EA has done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblade1979 View Post
What you need is Zone Police again.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Emera is a jewel in the roughEmera is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix_Xenophobe View Post
as long as you get together outside graal and have complete control of whatever you are doing. otherwise ur gonna end up 4 years down the road on the gold playerworld list like a worn out prostitute with your gelat shop gaping wide. neat idea tho just dont do it with graal
lul.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
I agree. Not necessarily biased towards any opinion, I just approve

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Zeus Condero
papajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to behold
I agree with felix. dont do it with graal. It will have no players and graal controls it. Make you own game
Old 04-10-2012, 10:27 PM
DrakilorP2P is just really niceDrakilorP2P is just really nice
Normally with Kickstarter you offer something to those who donate, like a copy of the game when it's released. If you make a Graal playerworld, how will you make sure donators can access it without trial restrictions?
Old 04-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
graal's management is whats ultimately kept the game down for many many years. the potential was always there, but ya.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
graal's management is whats ultimately kept the game down for many many years. the potential was always there, but ya.
at least not quite S2

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 04-10-2012, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
at least not quite S2
hm?
Old 04-10-2012, 11:14 PM
iphone era sad litle mads
Felix_Xenophobe is a splendid one to beholdFelix_Xenophobe is a splendid one to beholdFelix_Xenophobe is a splendid one to beholdFelix_Xenophobe is a splendid one to beholdFelix_Xenophobe is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Felix_Xenophobe
graal getting closer n closer to doing an s2
Originally Posted by Tashkin
I have done 10x the amount any previous EA has done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblade1979 View Post
What you need is Zone Police again.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:17 PM
s2 sold out but increased their playercount by about 15,000. at some points it was hitting as low as 35k, after their new scheme i saw it at a record high 70k.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:20 PM
░▒▓██▓▒░
Galdor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond repute

My Albums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unixmad
This forums is going worst each day.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
The idea is there, but you're still working within the confines of Graal itself. The only donators who would be interested I feel are Graalians, which is a very limited demographic. Then besides that the only fields of development where you can pay to get stuff done are the artistic fields, like graphics and music. Scripts will be very important to get anything decent accomplished, and there are only a few of those left(in my opinion, of any skill level that would warrant being paid). You could have a very artistically beautiful game, with awesome graphics and a wonderful soundtrack... but what's the point if the server is scripted poorly/has poor gameplay?

I mean, money can only get you so far and Graal is a VERY close-knit community. If people donate and then the product isn't satisfactory then it will ripple on forever. First off, donators will somehow feel entitled to a decent product since there is money involved(and they would be wrong), and second the first kickstarter results could effect anyones willingness to donate for future kickstarters related to Graal, even if it's being handled by someone much more capable. Also note that most developers on Graal don't script fulltime like you would find with programmers. Their time is often limited, and money can't fix that(especially if they have obligations with school/work, like many do).

It's an iffy thing, in my opinion. Also as it's been noted, Graal's structure(with Stefan and Unixmad) doesn't really help at all. But for an entirely different game? Most definitely, you're breaking away from a niche setting and gaining much more possibilities of being able to hire programmers from many different places and so on. However this would end up being much more work so it's a pro/con sort of thing.