Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-26-2006, 08:19 PM
100Zero100 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Not anymore with GS2-only servers.
Even with GS2 servers you should stick with assigning strings and not using "setstring(,)" - but on GS2 servers strings and variables are both assigned, and if you're talking about that I don't even understand your reasoning in mentioning it, because the value should be held as a float anyway.

Yes, Killerrogue, I am NaS.

Also, Gambet, I know what you meant to do, and the fix would be as simple as using abs(). However that still doesn't account for diagonal distance movements and the script would have really long lines with ||'s in them, the pythagorean theorem makes it a cool cat.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:02 AM
Banned
excaliber7388 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to excaliber7388
I have a similar system on Dark Rival, however it has a larger range, and counts how many times they warp, that way it wouldn't be just one level that does it. I like the idea of checking the parameters, I will add that to mine.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:28 AM
Unholy Nation
Malinko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Malinko
New trainer protection, won't be needed.

Thanks to all who reported faults in the old system. I think Maniaman is probably the one to thank most of all, since he did a lot of protection on Maloria.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:19 PM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
Nas pretty much cleared up the mistakes, Malinko o-o
Old 07-28-2006, 08:03 PM
PipBoy Extraordinaire!
Rick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Zero100
and if you're talking about that I don't even understand your reasoning in mentioning it,
GS2 scripts are compiled, so there are no scripts to edit text out of in memory.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:14 AM
Gambet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinko
Thanks to all who reported faults in the old system. I think Maniaman is probably the one to thank most of all, since he did a lot of protection on Maloria.

Mania did what?

You might want to check your sources >_>
Old 07-29-2006, 12:33 PM
My empire of dirt
Twinny is just really niceTwinny is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Twinny
Can get annoying when people use horses / skateboards / other speed enhancers. Hackers could use these NPC's with trainers to enhance speed and such
Old 07-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Banned
KuJi will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to KuJi Send a message via AIM to KuJi Send a message via MSN to KuJi Send a message via Yahoo to KuJi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinny
Can get annoying when people use horses / skateboards / other speed enhancers. Hackers could use these NPC's with trainers to enhance speed and such
I walked out on the gmap and I got jailed on my own server ;(
Old 07-30-2006, 07:12 PM
Scriptess
calani is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to calani
Quote:
Like delete the anti-hack script I wrote to patch one of the biggest holes in the server? hmmm

Anyways, we're getting off topic.
Speed-enhancing scripts arne't that hard to secure.
check the movement speed every few seconds serverside to make sure nothing was edited - could even add a required trigger like on my prison control: if inmates don't send a trigger to the DB once every 8 seconds (sent every 2) it warns them for triggerhacking and increases their jailtime by 10% or so. 10% every 8 sec adds up quickly too. anyway, you could add something like that to your skateboard (seems a bit much, but hey) and if their trigger ticktime expires, disable the skateboard (possibly remove it after three infractions?)
you get the idea.

making your scripts mess with hackers is fun
Old 07-31-2006, 10:29 AM
100Zero100 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
New trainer protection, won't be needed.

Lol let me just point something out to you, Malinko, and quite possibly some others (ones like you who said G4 was unhackable, basically).

G4 wasn't unhackable.
G4 isn't unhackable.
G4 will not be unhackable.

How many people coded G4? I bet you could give me a number and I bet it would be lucky to be >=10.

How many people coded WoW, Rakion/GB, Diablo II, WC3, Ragnarok Online, etc? Hundreds, hundreds of professional coders worked their asses off. Hell, hundreds of professional coders spend years making codes for THE PURE PURPOSE of anti-hacking. GameGuard? nProtect? Exactly, MANY coders worked for YEARS to make nothing BUT a hacker-protection system.

Yet, these games always get hacked anyway. How so? It's so because it's literally IMPOSSIBLE for something to be unhackable.

I dislike this new attitude people are starting to have, that new Graal4 or new GS2 are unhackable. They aren't and they never will be. There are more people who are more talented pouring more time into the same thing and failing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calani
if inmates don't send a trigger to the DB once every 8 seconds (sent every 2) it warns them for triggerhacking and increases their jailtime by 10% or so.
So basically if someone reconnected the first second of this 8 second interval, took 6 seconds to reconnect, and came back during the 7th second of the 8 second duration, the server would have never picked up their trigger and therefore they would get +10% time? Sounds like you're taking chances, there are better ways to prevent the edit of triggeraction.

For example, just do a triggeraction when the player logs on, do it in an NPC that does if (created) {}. The Control-NPC can check if (actionplayeronline) { and call a weapon on that player. The weapon would give them X seconds for the trigger to be submitted and then it would check if they're still online (Call the player, set a var, if the var wasn't set they've logged off). If the player IS online and no trigger was received, the player edited trigger (or has >= X*1000 ping). Also, if the player reconnects, the actionplayeronline will re-set their timeout to 10, and therefore will not be unfairly detected (although they wouldn't be detected anyway, considering it's initiating on created, and all of the scripts would have taken place in under .1 seconds anyway-- it takes more than .1 seconds for your screen to fully show, let alone reconnect).

This also works more effectively than your check because it's placed on ALL players, not just ones in jail, but doesn't need an annoying constant timeout of 8 and triggers being sent every 2 seconds.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:59 AM
Scriptess
calani is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to calani
If the player is offline, the script doesn't require a trigger - when the player logs on, it sets their ticktime to 8 sec, if they miss the trigger, it warns them - if the player is offline, the warn doesn't go through.

I've already accounted for everything that you've suggested.

Anyways, that is off-topic.

Quite often when there is more than one person working on a project, the different pieces don't mesh together properly and don't work quite as well as either person intended - you'd know this if you were ever part of a large development team.
One person working on everything is usually the best way to go as far as making sure everything works properly - though a team is best for having additional idea of how to do things better.
Its amazing, you're both right and wrong at the same time.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Okiesmokie
ApothiX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambet
Yes, I made a simple mistake. Take note that I made this at 2 am, so I was half asleep.
Don't use that as an excuse. Especially if you are releasing scripts that you want people to use for the security of their servers.

And NaS, you really have no place to be talking about the efficient way of doing things. Last I recall, when we were converting UN to gscript2 you were doing **** like initializing arrays with: this.mykewlarray = "\"One\",\"Two\""; just because you thought it made you look 'l337er.'

[06:24:19] * Parts: Skyld (i=silent@unaffiliated/skyld) ("Perhaps Okiesmokie did not realise that I like the boys. ")
Old 08-02-2006, 08:31 AM
In the real world ogod.
Skrobo2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApothiX
Don't use that as an excuse. Especially if you are releasing scripts that you want people to use for the security of their servers.

And NaS, you really have no place to be talking about the efficient way of doing things. Last I recall, when we were converting UN to gscript2 you were doing **** like initializing arrays with: this.mykewlarray = "\"One\",\"Two\""; just because you thought it made you look 'l337er.'
This is a little off topic, but we were having dissucsion about that on RC a while back. I'm no expert on GS2, so I have a questopn for you Okie. Is it wrong to do like this.blah = {"blah","blah","blah","blah"};? NaS said the proper way to do it was like you stated "this.mykewlarray = "\"One\",\"Two\"";".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene159 View Post
I would rather have dead forums.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:37 AM
Script-fu
Skyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Skyld
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrobo2
This is a little off topic, but we were having dissucsion about that on RC a while back. I'm no expert on GS2, so I have a questopn for you Okie. Is it wrong to do like this.blah = {"blah","blah","blah","blah"};? NaS said the proper way to do it was like you stated "this.mykewlarray = "\"One\",\"Two\"";".
NO NO NO NO NO!

You should not be initializing arrays using this.baz = "\"foo\",\"bar\"";.

You should use the this.baz = {foo, bar}; method, not least for cleanliness and editability/comprehension reasons.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:04 PM
In the real world ogod.
Skrobo2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyld
NO NO NO NO NO!

You should not be initializing arrays using this.baz = "\"foo\",\"bar\"";.

You should use the this.baz = {foo, bar}; method, not least for cleanliness and editability/comprehension reasons.
HA! I was right and NaS was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene159 View Post
I would rather have dead forums.