Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-17-2006, 04:34 PM
Banned
Thallen is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Thallen Send a message via AIM to Thallen Send a message via MSN to Thallen Send a message via Yahoo to Thallen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus
Jellyfish?
Quote:
Originally Posted by protagonist
I think we're so used to thinking of them in terms of the typical MMORPG hacker: duping items for profit and so forth. The thing is, Classic doesn't have an economy, so they can't really do anything that is so destructive to the constant gameplay. This makes the whole "hackers" argument for keeping the NPC server void.
Jellyfish did his business on Maloria, where there is an economy. I believe his arguement is toward "classic" servers, while Maloria falls under something like "level up/roleplay."
Old 05-17-2006, 05:25 PM
one of the good guys
Prozac is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Prozac
Quote:
Originally Posted by protagonist
Hackers are way overestimated, and erroneously the target of a lot of hate.

I don't know about you guys, but when there was a hacker loose on a server, it was never to the point where the hacker was actually destroying the server or anything. It was more along the lines of it disrupting the gameplay, which sometimes was pretty fun.
that is not entirely accurate.

sanstrata + one particular hacker = all files on server deleted 5 times in 2 days. (we re-uploaded and as we were uploading he was deleting. back in the days of ftp). I am glad for the many more layers of security that have been implemented over the years.

hacking = not fun and i for one have absolutely no tolerance for anyone who even mentions that they are going to hack, even if they are trying to be funny. you so much as joke about hacking on my server and you will be inviting an insta-ban on your account.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Banned
excaliber7388 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to excaliber7388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozac
hacking = not fun and i for one have absolutely no tolerance for anyone who even mentions that they are going to hack, even if they are trying to be funny. you so much as joke about hacking on my server and you will be inviting an insta-ban on your account.
Harsh.
Who needs hacking, I have perfectly good boots now
Old 05-17-2006, 06:02 PM
random
Krakken is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Krakken Send a message via AIM to Krakken Send a message via MSN to Krakken
I find myself agreeing with konindas. He seems to be speaking the most sense here. I was one of the original GK developers and even I had no interest in the server - for me it was all way too complicated and lacked community. I'm in no way saying it's a bad server; on the contrary. It simply wasn't for me - an impatient gamer.

It's kind of funny reading that back seeing as in my career I am a Games Engineer.

Old 05-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
sanstrata + one particular hacker = all files on server deleted 5 times in 2 days. (we re-uploaded and as we were uploading he was deleting. back in the days of ftp). I am glad for the many more layers of security that have been implemented over the years.
It is not hacking if the guy has your ftp password. What new layers are you talking about?

Quote:
Hacking is, in contrary, very fun, and I am rather convinced that the PWA will not let you get away with randomly banning people like that if your server ever reaches a certain point of popularity.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:04 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by iismike
Now stop correcting grammar and punctuation in my post or stefan wont freaking read it!!!
If you think your post is important enough to be read by anyone, especially Stefan, you should put the minimum of effort into it that is required to come up with proper grammar and spelling.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:12 PM
one of the good guys
Prozac is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Prozac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel
Hacking is, in contrary, very fun,
fun for the one doing the hack, perhaps it is fun.
for those observing the hacking, perhaps its fun to watch - after all, it's not their hard work being mutilated and destroyed.

for the one being hacked, whose hundreds of hours (yes i spent that much time on sanstrata all those years ago) seeing your work gets deleted, it's hell on earth.

of course when my server does get to the hoted/classic tab, i will comply with the same standards that graal online has for various offenses.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:28 PM
Sup
Mafukie will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to Mafukie Send a message via AIM to Mafukie
Instead of thinking what classic needs why don't you ask the current generation of players who actually play classic longer than 10 minuites wants? We need quests, We need constant events, and a playerbase to play the events. But in the end of it all, even in the 'old' graal days people spent their time PKing and taking over graal castle... There wasn't much to do. Its just your childhood nostalgia getting the best of you, like a grown up who played nintendo, playing it again and realising things have evolved since then and it isn't so great anymore. But you CANNOT expect people to rebuild classic in a month, expecially when they are doing it on their own free time. GScript 2 will only help Classic evolve into where it needs to be at in terms of a playerworld.

Don't worry about Classic though, its being taken care of.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:09 AM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel
Hacking is, in contrary, very fun, and I am rather convinced that the PWA will not let you get away with randomly banning people like that if your server ever reaches a certain point of popularity.
Read his post and the rules please.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:09 AM
Somewhat rusty
Quote:
fun for the one doing the hack, perhaps it is fun.
Pretending it is not just abuse of staff privileges or stupid trainers, it probably is.

Quote:
for those observing the hacking, perhaps its fun to watch - after all, it's not their hard work being mutilated and destroyed.
That is a very retarded kind of fun and not at all what I was refering to.

Quote:
for the one being hacked, whose hundreds of hours (yes i spent that much time on sanstrata all those years ago) seeing your work gets deleted, it's hell on earth.
This is, for me, outside the scope of "hacking". The destruction of data is not what hacking is about and clearly a bad thing, and not "fun" for anyone.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:10 AM
Somewhat rusty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Read his post and the rules please.
By your command.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:14 AM
iismike is on a distinguished road
Ah to the guy who said i should have used good grammar you obviously didnt read all the posts because in fact i was not the person being trolled about grammar. I do not think it is constructive to this post however so please stop being english teachers. I simply want Classic to be free so that more players play graal and it flourishes again. I firmly believe having one free server will bring in more people who will eventually pay and make graal more profitable. If you disagree have a good reason.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:32 AM
Sup
Mafukie will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to Mafukie Send a message via AIM to Mafukie
Quote:
Ah to the guy who said i should have used good grammar you obviously didnt read all the posts because in fact i was not the person being trolled about grammar. I do not think it is constructive to this post however so please stop being english teachers. I simply want Classic to be free so that more players play graal and it flourishes again. I firmly believe having one free server will bring in more people who will eventually pay and make graal more profitable. If you disagree have a good reason.
In that case, make UN free. It already has the biggest newb population.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:25 AM
TedHead2k is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberModeKappa
What I think Stefan could do to reel in new players is include one server that is free. Lets say that he revives Graal The Adventure at its prime. New players would be able to truely obtain the Graal experience without compromising profit. The free server would hopefully hook players on the original experiences many of us had. With that said, I still believe that trial accounts should have limits. I think that the trial accounts would have to wait in ghost mode if the number of players exceeds a certain number.
And then once the new players are hooked on the classic server, they can pay to be dissapointed by the lack of game content on any of the other servers!

Is anyone realizing that these threads are occuring all the time and nothing is being done about it? Obviously Stefan and others do not care. They obviously think they are right and everyone in these threads are wrong. They obviously have different priorities than the players and if they were going to change anything, they would have done so long ago, since people have been complaining about this kind of stuff forever. What is the point?

The servers will not be free. Making everything free is not really the solution. This is a business, money needs to be made. The solution is to make something worth paying for instead of charging people to run around what has become a Massively Multiplayer Chat Room.

Making the game so the community can create content is great, but leaving all the work in the community's hands is lazy, stupid and is making people bored out of their mind. Very few people will spend that much free time to make an actual good server without pay. Graal The Adventure was the closest thing to a game on Graal, and it's been slaughtered.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Somewhat rusty
Quote:
Ah to the guy who [...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixmad
OUT OF COURTESY FOR THE READERS, WE ASK THAT YOU ALWAYS QUOTE WHO YOU ARE REPLYING TO.
Why do you insist on brekaing the forum rules?

Quote:
you obviously didnt read all the posts because in fact i was not the person being trolled about grammar.
So what? Grammar is still an awesome thing.

Quote:
I do not think it is constructive to this post however so please stop being english teachers.
I have no obligation to be constructive to your post. However, pretending that English is some kind of free-form communication thing instead of language is not very constructive either, so calling out people who obfuscate communication by lack of grammar is entirely justified.

Quote:
If you disagree have a good reason.
Apparently firmly believing something is good enough for you, so why not for people who disagree?