Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-15-2006, 07:29 PM
░▒▓██▓▒░
Galdor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond repute
dont feed the trolls! you loriel are 1 big nasty troll.

My Albums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unixmad
This forums is going worst each day.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galdor
dont feed the trolls! you loriel are 1 big nasty troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixmad
OUT OF COURTESY FOR THE READERS, WE ASK THAT YOU ALWAYS QUOTE WHO YOU ARE REPLYING TO.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:21 PM
Super Villain
ViCtOrEhEhEh is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ViCtOrEhEhEh
Quote:
Originally Posted by iismike
Text
You are right. People have been quitting more than people have been comming to Graal, and yes, that is a bad thing. Also, if Classic was free, so many people would join it and then they would buy P2P accounts to play the other servers and be able to save on them.

*Contacts*
E-Mail: [email protected]
AIM: Albo Playah
Old 05-15-2006, 09:44 PM
Fogles is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Fogles
This is your brain on drugs.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias
The problem is, removing the npc server and new scripting means the server has little hack protection as many things would be clientside. I guess a server full of hackers is fun for you though? Hiring people to watch out for hackers is a waste of resources.

It was fine when classic was like the only server around... because nobody had anywhere else to play, and everyone was focused on that one server. That's not the case anymore, and it never will be. Get over it. Personally I think you have the right direction just the wrong idea of what is making Graal less fun.

It's not that Graal wouldn't work as a FUN mmorpg, it's that the servers being released are not for "everyone" which they should be. Zone for example... I do not like it at all. I don't like the futuristic stuff or the guns. I'm sure many people agree. So there is a server which is wasted on like half of the Graalian population.

Then you have GK. Which was supposed to be greater than 2k1. But it's not, because they just cloned a lot of things from other MMORPGs, and over time it's lost the feeling of Graal. It would be equal to taking Zelda and adding in like 100 different weapons and like 100 items for alchemy and armor and nothing but monster slaying and removing all of the fun puzzle quests and such. That's what GK is... I mean, where are the fun quests? It's all about power gaming and killing monsters. It's too dark and complicated for the average person. Not many people who liked Graal classic want to play that kind of game. If they did, they'd go elsewhere.

But Graal could be great if they simply improved on what made Graal fun in the first place. Community, quests, sparring, guilds, fun new content. (not just new sword graphics and monsters) and most importantly... simple to understand gameplay and moving away from "stats". It's not that we should bring back old classic... All the content is ancient and the server was never that well put together... It's just that Graal has gone in the wrong direction in terms of what attracted players to Graal in the first place.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:05 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
I agree kondidias - I don't think that Graal was going into the wrong direction though, everything needs time to do. Graal Kingdoms needs more fun sparring events between kingdoms, Zelda-like quests, also the new Graal3D will be more Classic-style, and I see that servers like Era and Classic itself go into the same direction.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:30 PM
iZone Administrator
Matt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the rough
Most playerworlds, need something to do thats fun besides Sparring. Alot of playerworlds dont have many places for a pk'ing. No in days, there's a 'PK Arena', thats it. Thats not enough, noplayerkilling; is eevrywhere now.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:34 PM
The Shaded Leg
James205 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to James205 Send a message via AIM to James205
Quote:
Originally Posted by konidias
The problem is, removing the npc server and new scripting means the server has little hack protection as many things would be clientside. I guess a server full of hackers is fun for you though? Hiring people to watch out for hackers is a waste of resources.
I agree with this.

Quote:
It was fine when classic was like the only server around... because nobody had anywhere else to play, and everyone was focused on that one server. That's not the case anymore, and it never will be. Get over it. Personally I think you have the right direction just the wrong idea of what is making Graal less fun.
I don't think the only reason why players played classic in the past was because it was the only server around. If I remember correctly there were other servers around when classic had over 400 players. Then g2k1 came out and it still remained at the top, then eventually things went wrong and people tried to change way to much on the server. Classic can always be classic, just the current situation with development really is taking it away from that 'classic' feel. Too much is being put into a movement system that is really buggy even though the default movement system works better. There are many simple things classic can do to improve. But when you confront them about these things we just get THEIR opinion and not what the majority wants. Ask most people about classic and I bet you anything they are not satisfied with what is going on. And as the original poster of this thread said... the current players are mostly players from the past and most of them came to graal for the original simple fun and not complicated systems which can be considered pointless.

I mean take the requirements for a playerworld to be accepted for example. No longer can a playerworld that is somewhat simple be accepted. Even though it has potential to do good it wont be accepted.

Quote:
It's not that Graal wouldn't work as a FUN mmorpg, it's that the servers being released are not for "everyone" which they should be. Zone for example... I do not like it at all. I don't like the futuristic stuff or the guns. I'm sure many people agree. So there is a server which is wasted on like half of the Graalian population.
Graal could be a fun mmorpg, but the current competition in the market really shows how other games are so much more developed than graal (mostly because other games have more money). With Graal's low playercount (700 right now) also means less people to develop (consider the 100's of playerworlds and each one usually has one player/rc on).

Quote:
Then you have GK. Which was supposed to be greater than 2k1. But it's not, because they just cloned a lot of things from other MMORPGs, and over time it's lost the feeling of Graal. It would be equal to taking Zelda and adding in like 100 different weapons and like 100 items for alchemy and armor and nothing but monster slaying and removing all of the fun puzzle quests and such. That's what GK is... I mean, where are the fun quests? It's all about power gaming and killing monsters. It's too dark and complicated for the average person. Not many people who liked Graal classic want to play that kind of game. If they did, they'd go elsewhere.
Agreed.

Quote:
But Graal could be great if they simply improved on what made Graal fun in the first place. Community, quests, sparring, guilds, fun new content. (not just new sword graphics and monsters) and most importantly... simple to understand gameplay and moving away from "stats". It's not that we should bring back old classic... All the content is ancient and the server was never that well put together... It's just that Graal has gone in the wrong direction in terms of what attracted players to Graal in the first place.
Agreed again. I especially think more time should of been spent for improved sparring systems (the sparringzone system really sucks) instead of trying to move to something different and having it die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
I agree kondidias - I don't think that Graal was going into the wrong direction though, everything needs time to do. Graal Kingdoms needs more fun sparring events between kingdoms, Zelda-like quests, also the new Graal3D will be more Classic-style, and I see that servers like Era and Classic itself go into the same direction.
What about other playerworlds? Will they all just eventually just get removed? Or will a specific effort be put in place to actually help them? I've always wondered about this situation.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:57 PM
:pluffy:
Chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by James205
What about other playerworlds? Will they all just eventually just get removed? Or will a specific effort be put in place to actually help them? I've always wondered about this situation.
Referring to SL? Dude, SL has always been one of the better servers. The players just never liked what was offered there for some reason.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:10 AM
A Serious Epidemic
Googi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Googi
Making Classic free again will never happen. Not just Graal but virtually every single non-HTTP-based online game (i.e. Not Neopets) has gone full P2P. Obviously it's the fiscally sound way to go.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:32 AM
one of the good guys
Prozac is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Prozac
Quote:
hackers is why Sanstrata went down in the first place. that was a server, that some people would say, was as fun as or better than classic.
the npcs were too simple, not enough security, no npc server.

still, all attempts to ressurect it have been led by folks who want to to great things with it - great complicated things. too complicated.

Simple fun can be good - so long as you plan ahead, and prepare for the worst, but expect the best. which is what I'm trying to do with argos.
pk is ok, weapons are simple, and while there are stats, i plan to make them transparent and natural to the gameplay, and lots of fun quests and puzzles, as well as events, sparring, and event-quests on local and world levels unlike anything i have seen before on graal.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:36 AM
:pluffy:
Chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozac
hackers is why Sanstrata went down in the first place. that was a server, that some people would say, was as fun as or better than classic.
still, all attempts to ressurect it have been led by folks who want to to great things with it - great complicated things. too complicated.

Simple fun can be good - so long as you plan ahead, and prepare for the worst, but expect the best.
I remember it being attacked a bunch. Once all the levels were removed and the person uploaded a level with staff boots for everyone to use. Sooo '1337'
Old 05-16-2006, 02:02 AM
Starting not to love you
Curt1zzle has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Curt1zzle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel
  1. quiet
  2. won't
  3. sentence structure
  4. thread structure

Do not even get me started about capitalisation.

• Grow
• The
• Hell
• Up

This message has been deleted by Sam. Reason: you should better stop it now
Old 05-16-2006, 02:10 AM
one of the good guys
Prozac is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Prozac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt1zzle
• Grow
• The
• Hell
• Up

another thing about the forums
is that it has always been (to my recollection over 5 years) a place where people are far more nastier to each other than in-game.
If you want people to criticize and make fun of you and poke holes in your ideas and tear apart your hopes and dreams, and tell you why your plan won't work, then by all means keep posting here. it's a great place to get depressed.

if you want to make a server, first gain the skills to make it, then make what YOU think is fun and would work with many players.
Make it fun for you, then see if others like it. some will not like it, you cannot please everyone and should not expect to. but chances are if you think it is nice, and fun, someone else will. and they will bring their friends, etc.

this is a game, have fun with it!
Old 05-16-2006, 03:03 AM
Classic Systems Admin
Polo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Polo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Yes, we definitely want the go down the adventure route more

Proof that the staff are crazy..
*Ghost Pirate: I'm a little teacup short and stubbe here is my raygun here is my butt
DragonX: Jumping jack rabbits Batman! Our eggo waffles have been stolen! To the batmobile Robin!
X-Mann (RC): I have a head ache