Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Gladius
BlackSolider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlackSolider
Look dude. I'm posting about both sides because both sides have something to say. Each side has some good points; each side has some bad points. Why not analyze both?

If I had an opinion, I'd post it as well. But right now I still can't decide what exactly a classic manager needs to do (dev, public relations, organize staff), and therefor I can't comment on storm nor any possible replacements, if they are needed at all.

All I know is that classic needs to fix a lot of things, and the manager isn't the only problem. Would a tough manager with a drive and vision be a good thing for classic? It's possible.

Until we (the people of classic) can come to an agreement on what we want/need our manager to do, theres no way we can find the best candidate available. Besides, like ranger said, right now the management position is full, and I've only seen one person in this thread that has the power to change that (though I could be wrong).
Old 03-06-2009, 11:18 PM
*TUCH U SO HARD*
LOA--Paul will become famous soon enough
I don't think Storm's duties should change, but the title should. I would not mind taking up the duties I listed at all. Storm should still be a top developer. But a manager should be doing the duties I listed (managing)
Old 03-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Retired Oldbie
grim_squeaker_x is on a distinguished road
I vote for a change! I agree that MasterStorm has done a poor job. But I don't know anyone that would do a better job. But at this state, anyone would do a better job as Manager.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:17 AM
Remonq is just really niceRemonq is just really nice
this is all kind of irrelevant seeing as how storm won't be removed any time soon since he has recently been trying to do his job
Old 03-07-2009, 12:43 AM
Bowie's Deciple
Kristi has a spectacular aura aboutKristi has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Kristi Send a message via MSN to Kristi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
Last time I recall, it shouldn't be who the PWA wants as manager in all honesty. That's like saying the people can't vote for president.
No, it isn't. Classic is a server owned by a corporation; it is not a democratic nation.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:03 AM
*TUCH U SO HARD*
LOA--Paul will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi View Post
No, it isn't. Classic is a server owned by a corporation; it is not a democratic nation.
Yeah but most corporations already have some sort of cycle time and accountability in place production wise for projects like this. Cyberjouers is highly atypical in that aspect so who knows what they will do.

The job should be seen as 'project manager' rather than 'scripting/levels manager'. Right now, it's basically head LAT with some other RC rights. I dont see a lot of actual oversight going on. Most of what it takes shouldnt really take RC rights besides to verify what was done by others. Manager should be keeping track of things in excel and using other methods. Everyone should have some specific assignments (with enough leeway to get good original approved side projects going)
Old 03-07-2009, 01:27 AM
how's it going eh?
jorollychu is a glorious beacon of lightjorollychu is a glorious beacon of lightjorollychu is a glorious beacon of light
storm has no vision he cant see past the movement systems
03-15-2012 05:49 PM Good riddance. All you do is whine. Hopefully when you are gone you'll man up - Supernanny
Old 03-07-2009, 01:35 AM
Bowie's Deciple
Kristi has a spectacular aura aboutKristi has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Kristi Send a message via MSN to Kristi
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOA--Paul View Post
Yeah but most corporations already have some sort of cycle time and accountability in place production wise for projects like this. Cyberjouers is highly atypical in that aspect so who knows what they will do.
So either you think it is a democratic nation, and your proof is terrible, or your rebuttal is irrelevant to my statement and shouldn't have a "but". I simply stated that mystic's analogy is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOA--Paul View Post
The job should be seen as 'project manager' rather than 'scripting/levels manager'. Right now, it's basically head LAT with some other RC rights. I dont see a lot of actual oversight going on. Most of what it takes shouldnt really take RC rights besides to verify what was done by others. Manager should be keeping track of things in excel and using other methods. Everyone should have some specific assignments (with enough leeway to get good original approved side projects going)
No, Thor should be the one with the spreadsheet as the development administrator. The manager should oversight the team leads and make sure they are doing what they are supposed to do. If you think Thor is doing a good job, Night is doing a good job, and Stryker is doing a good job, then by default you think Storm is doing a good job, since that is his position. If you are unsatisfied with one of the three listed above, then Storm is doing a less then perfect job by not replacing them.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:47 AM
Gladius
Are any of the three listed (admins) doing a good job?

Night got on and scolded me today for my horrible actions, but beyond that he hasn't done much recently. I heard he's sick but idk.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:25 AM
how's it going eh?
jorollychu is a glorious beacon of lightjorollychu is a glorious beacon of lightjorollychu is a glorious beacon of light
all 3 are not doing a good job

thor
nighty

stryker
03-15-2012 05:49 PM Good riddance. All you do is whine. Hopefully when you are gone you'll man up - Supernanny
Old 03-07-2009, 02:29 AM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi View Post
Never said we had a sole right in choosing who we want/don't want as managers. But as the paying customers, our voice should be considered most of all.

@ Your Manager Statement: If all admins are doing their Job fine, that does NOT mean that Storm is doing a great job. He's supposed to be the one briefing the server and the dev team the most. I don't recollect the Dev Admin deciding what goes on Classic or not. That really should be the managers job but I don't have a problem with Thor though. Anyone can make sure staff admins are doing their job. Classic has lost hope and there is nobody but the manager to blame for that since that person has to be the one to ensure prosperity. Right now, the FAQ team is fine, GC team is fine, GP team is a bit inactive, and Dev team is a bit slow.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 03-07-2009, 03:36 AM
Doctor Who?
jacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
Never said we had a sole right in choosing who we want/don't want as managers. But as the paying customers, our voice should be considered most of all.

@ Your Manager Statement: If all admins are doing their Job fine, that does NOT mean that Storm is doing a great job. He's supposed to be the one briefing the server and the dev team the most. I don't recollect the Dev Admin deciding what goes on Classic or not. That really should be the managers job but I don't have a problem with Thor though. Anyone can make sure staff admins are doing their job. Classic has lost hope and there is nobody but the manager to blame for that since that person has to be the one to ensure prosperity. Right now, the FAQ team is fine, GC team is fine, GP team is a bit inactive, and Dev team is a bit slow.
Thats because manager isn't really a position classic has ever had... Seriously I would believe that expecting anything out of a manager besides being there to be trusted and remove inactive admins or admins who are blatantly corrupt. Seriously Manager isn't a job that you have to be super active to do.--Storm isn't doing a bad job(Well maybe for not kicking the dev team in the ass when they were stagnating the last two times), I would say that manager is more of a checks and balances kind of position that enables you to have different staff divisions without worrying about somebody getting too much power.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:50 AM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
So logging in every few often days isn't a bad thing for a manager? Sorry, but tell that to the PWA's who removed managers of other servers for that same "decent management".

Managers have to think too, you know. Anyone can do Storm's job right about now. Logging in every 3 days, answering pms with a "hmmm", and taking care of a few staff transgressions whenever they arouse. How devastating it is

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 03-07-2009, 04:01 AM
how's it going eh?
Hans Dershowitz
Old 03-07-2009, 04:07 AM
Gladius
If the job of a classic manager is to just guide to staff and give em a boot in the right direction occasionally, storm can do it if he becomes more active. Hell we don't need to fire someone who basically makes sure things are in order. We can get a trained monkey to do it.

Now, if the job of a classic manager is to bring in the dev team each week and check on their progress towards goals X, Y, and Z....then we need a new manager b/c storm hasn't done that.

The problem is, everyone has a different opinion on what classic manager should do. I think if the dev team was releasing more consistently and going in a direction favorable to the players, we wouldn't have a big issue with storm. However, this doesn't seem to be the case. The last dev release was the chat box...the last major release were the 2 quests. The next big dev release is supposedly the auction thing, which I don't know the due date of. But chat boxes and auctions aren't what the players want. I won't sit here and pretend to know what the majority wants, but tickets+prizes+lack of content are a few of the issues. Until some of these issues get fixed, it won't appear to the public that the dev team is doing much good, and thus storm isn't doing his job by guiding them.

Wow I rambled again. In summary: if the manager needs to keep the staff in line, storm can probably do that. If the manager needs to guide the dev team towards a certain goal, storm might not be able to do that. We must, as a community, decide whether the dev team is doing enough to solve our problems. If not, we need to somehow get a new manager who can push the devs to more productive and constant releases. Who that is, I don't know.
Closed Thread