Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
make TServerPlayer vars read only

I think it might be highly beneficial to be able to allow a server to make the default TServerPlayer vars such as hearts, fullhearts, arrows, darts, AP, etc read only except for defined NPCs/Weapons/Classes.

Would then allow the server to make a class or something that players could be joined to to handle healing, adjusting arrows and stuff (which is personally preferable because doing so would allow easier changes to custom vars later on should defaults be replaced with something custom)

Would also allow for easier logging to weed out abusive scripts by logging time, level, player, and what called it via callstack
Old 09-10-2010, 06:33 PM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
I don't see the point? If you wanted you could do custom functions to represent the same thing (if that's what you're going for...)

HTML Code:
public function onHealPlayer(amount) {
  this.hearts += temp.amount;
  triggerclient("weapon", "weaponname", "updateHP", temp.amount);
}
public function onAddMoney(amount) {
  this.rupees += temp.amount;
  //yada
}
Old 09-10-2010, 06:49 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAndrewx View Post
I don't see the point? If you wanted you could do custom functions to represent the same thing (if that's what you're going for...)
The 'major' point is to protect the server from rogue LATs and other malicious behavior by locking the modification of a variable to a certain script. So only your class script could make changes to it. Would also force the scripter to use a certain API instead of a direct call.

I'd personally want something like this to go even further and be able to lock variables like.. clientr.item.* and so on.

I.e:

protectedvariables=player.rupees,"playerfunctions_ money,-MoneySystem"
Old 09-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Kevin Azite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAndrewx View Post
I don't see the point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
The 'major' point is to protect the server from rogue LATs and other malicious behavior by locking the modification of a variable to a certain script.
bingo, the thing about using functions is more of a secondary suggestion of mine that obviously that doesn't need to be handled by a change to the server or client, but that I feel would make sense for servers to start doing as a matter of convenience to themselves and any new scripters they may hire
Old 09-10-2010, 09:31 PM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
ahhh- makes sense. suppport++

thanks
Old 09-11-2010, 04:01 AM
One More Time
MrOmega is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MrOmega Send a message via MSN to MrOmega Send a message via Yahoo to MrOmega
Quote:
The 'major' point is to protect the server from rogue LATs and other malicious behavior by locking the modification of a variable to a certain script. So only your class script could make changes to it. Would also force the scripter to use a certain API instead of a direct call.

I'd personally want something like this to go even further and be able to lock variables like.. clientr.item.* and so on.

I.e:

protectedvariables=player.rupees,"playerfunctions_ money,-MoneySystem"
Rogue Lats... Well, for one you should always maintain good contact and relation with all your staff. Secondly if your log everything properly you can find these rogue lats and ban them accordingly. I can see it be put into graal in the future, but really I see no point, just bad lazy staff.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:37 AM
Banned
12171217 has a spectacular aura about
Levels for guild houses should always be checked in a text editor before being uploaded; UN always has problems with stuff being uploaded due to thanks to lazy staff.

EDIT: I'll leave the typo, it's funny. I hate when people talk to me when I'm typing something on my phone, but I hate it even more when someone else has to halt our conversation to answer a text; so generally I try to split my conversation into two; and I'm pretty damn good at it. But not this time.

Last edited by 12171217; 09-11-2010 at 05:03 AM..
Old 09-11-2010, 06:12 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOmega View Post
Rogue Lats... Well, for one you should always maintain good contact and relation with all your staff. Secondly if your log everything properly you can find these rogue lats and ban them accordingly. I can see it be put into graal in the future, but really I see no point, just bad lazy staff.
Well yeah but it's a lot nicer/comforting to prevent something completely than to play damage control later should something slip through the cracks. It's also a lot easier to log one way out then multiple.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:04 AM
One More Time
MrOmega is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MrOmega Send a message via MSN to MrOmega Send a message via Yahoo to MrOmega
Quote:
Well yeah but it's a lot nicer/comforting to prevent something completely than to play damage control later should something slip through the cracks. It's also a lot easier to log one way out then multiple.
Hmm I see some purpose now, still mainly a problem with lazy lats
Old 09-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Quote:
Hmm I see some purpose now, still mainly a problem with lazy lats
You can't ever have worked on a 100+ player server. Both Zodiac and Maloria had extremely huge issues with LAT's creating unlegit items simply by figuring out player flags etc. or asking former scripters and whatnot.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 09-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Kevin Azite
I will probably post a generic class in the NPC Forum later that has functions for adjusting default player vars which will be a good starting point for anyone hoping to adopt such a system
Old 01-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Kevin Azite
bump
Old 01-04-2011, 12:29 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
As a former Era manager, this would have been extremely useful.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Fear tactics might be useful in this case too. Notify all LATs that any abuse like what you're talking about would result in an immediate and permanent ban.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
Fear tactics might be useful in this case too. Notify all LATs that any abuse like what you're talking about would result in an immediate and permanent ban.
If you think about it a little bit you'll realize maybe this will work on approximately 40% of those who follow like sheeps, About 30% will question the random proclaimation and 30% will ignore it.

It's a good start but it may need a little more constructiong upon before actually wanting to use this as an idea :S

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.