Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2012, 11:35 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
does it really matter what makes it to hosted or not?

SL has been desperately trying to "make it" and it never does. everytime it gets released it dies off again in playercount then disappears from the serverlist. good luck anyway to the current staff though.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:43 PM
David K?
Devil_Lord2 can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Honestly if it's that buggy then just remove it for now until it's fixed.
Haha, that is a great idea, I will suggest that. :]

Digital Media Artist - David K? </3 (UnLoved)
www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Old 02-19-2012, 06:45 PM
SL Oldbie
Loakey_P2P is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Loakey_P2P Send a message via Yahoo to Loakey_P2P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emera View Post
This. It's rigged with bugs and things that just don't work as they should.
you mean riddled with bugs .

p.s i went through the intro with no problems of freezing or anything . maybe its not the server .
-Past Sl Jobs * ET/LAT/NAT/LAT Admin/Developer/Admin/Head Admin/Asst. Manager/Manager
-Current Job - Retired

*Sorry you must have mistaken me for someone that cares .

Last edited by Loakey_P2P; 02-19-2012 at 07:06 PM..
Old 02-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Emera is a jewel in the roughEmera is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loakey_P2P View Post
you mean riddled with bugs .
I mean what I say. I said rigged.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:31 AM
David K?
I don't know about them rigging it to be buggy lol.. but I can say ZeroG and I are going to be in charge of the intro. I personally don't have that much time, but I'd say it should be completed in a few weeks.

www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Old 03-02-2012, 08:47 AM
David K?
I estimate ZeroG and I should have the intro done in a month or so..
I'm adding new levels, tutorial, and some quests for the intro, and he is doing his own thing.

We both have other things besides just Graal, but I'm trying to work on it when I can.
I can promise it will be amazing, and if not by you all, at least I will be amazed. :]

On a further note, the events are being worked on as well, and old quests, by samich and Loakey, respectively. I'm not quite sure who else is doing what though..

www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Old 03-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
None of the PWA members, to my knowledge, experienced any freezeups in the intro during our inspections. We are aware of others having them though. History has shown us that no server reacts the same to every individual. These reactions are actually a good reason in themselves for hosted status. Personally I feel they should give the intro priority or disable it until its fixed. Its now a known issue and if it gives a poor initial opinion of a server it will most likely ruin that servers reputation for eternity to players victimized by it.

Keep in mind that those making these servers are not full time employees of [insert popular video game company here] who spend hours debugging their games offline to ensure smooth gameplay when they go public. These are hobbyists who do this because they enjoy the challenge. Graal is unique in that it offers players the opportunity to build a server that is then critiqued by their peers. Those staff members with enough maturity to handle those critisicms will take the input given to them by the players and improve the quality of their server. Just as Crow did with Atlantis, players should be able to report their bugs here then the staff can address them.

Under PWA guidelines for hosted, these servers will be subject to periodic reviews to ensure that they are not only progressing but that bug issues are being taken care of. There is no set schedule for these reviews but we are watching progress. Other developers are their worst critics of course which is not a bad thing. The predators though should just remember that one day it will be their turn to be the prey and I expect them to handle those critisicms with maturity as well.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:57 PM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattKan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Lord2 View Post
Haha, that is a great idea, I will suggest that. :]
Cuz doing so wouldn't get you fired...
Old 03-03-2012, 05:33 AM
David K?
I'm not sure what they are doing with it, and I so badly want to show what I've done so far... but it isn't finished, nor is it my decision if it is released or not...

So really all I can do is say, while keeping it slightly secret, it will be good, if not great.
You can take this with salt, but I also feel it may show up the server, and I hope they improve everything else like, if not better than the intro...

I'm going to have to also state Classic is the only thing that it can be compared to, yet classic's intro is probably much better lol.. cut-scene wise. It was amazing if I remember correctly..

www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Old 03-03-2012, 05:47 AM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattKan
Quote:
I'm not sure what they are doing with it, and I so badly want to show what I've done so far... but it isn't finished, nor is it my decision if it is released or not...

So really all I can do is say, while keeping it slightly secret, it will be good, if not great.
You can take this with salt, but I also feel it may show up the server, and I hope they improve everything else like, if not better than the intro...

I'm going to have to also state Classic is the only thing that it can be compared to, yet classic's intro is probably much better lol.. cut-scene wise. It was amazing if I remember correctly..
Classic, without a doubt, uses a specially scripted scene system allowing for stuff like this to be executed easily. For some reason I doubt Shaded Legend does the same.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:03 AM
David K?
Eh... true, I don't use any systems nor do I use the scene gani, I create my own scenes via programming the NPCs...

I feel I have a lot more control over everything, and can do it all online.
It may take longer but oh well..

www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Old 03-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quote:
Eh... true, I don't use any systems nor do I use the scene gani, I create my own scenes via programming the NPCs...

I feel I have a lot more control over everything, and can do it all online.
It may take longer but oh well..
Classic's cutscenes were scripted with the idea of both being able to create new scenes and be able to go back and fix problems or add improvements to old ones with relative ease. Every single aspect of cutscenes are a system, from the character NPC actions, screen fading, skip buttons, hiding the player and interface and then re-initializing the player in such a way that doesn't cause any bugs.

It doesn't make sense to script every single cutscene level independently from eachother or the rest of the server. Not only is it time inefficient to keep re-inventing the wheel with each level, if some type of problem were to emerge later on you'd find yourself having to go back and edit each cutscene level one by one.
As an example, due to the way Classic's cutscenes are made, it was fairly easy for me to make it so that if the "Join Event" button were to appear while you were within a scene, and you were to click it, it would warp you into the relevant event level, and then communicate with the scene system to safely remove any affects the scene has placed on you.

As far as what takes longer goes, I'd say the systematic way takes longer at first, but then saves you a lot more time in future.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
-Smart, but long speech-like statement.-
This is why I do not like the idea of Movie Ganis, they can be done more efficiently through merely scripting versus using the movie gani system.
More power to ya for making your cutscenes smart to the other systems too mike.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulg0reSama View Post
This is why I do not like the idea of Movie Ganis, they can be done more efficiently through merely scripting versus using the movie gani system.
More power to ya for making your cutscenes smart to the other systems too mike.
There's a lot more ways you can manipulate a scripted NPC compared to a movie gani character, such as being able to set focus on a character. If I wanted I could even have it so that the player isn't actually hidden within a scene and can walk around to interact with NPCs, even delaying their actions until a player has done a certain thing, such as slashing one of the characters.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
There's a lot more ways you can manipulate a scripted NPC compared to a movie gani character, such as being able to set focus on a character. If I wanted I could even have it so that the player isn't actually hidden within a scene and can walk around to interact with NPCs, even delaying their actions until a player has done a certain thing, such as slashing one of the characters.
Yep. You have much more power and control through scripting it out.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.