Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loakey_P2P View Post
the only problem i see with that "just start all over" approach is classic is the last one still standing . I'm still puzzled by your decision to leave classic in dev stage but that's your decision . many great things were built up on shaded tho and removing the whole arka story line, removing all the cutscenes and making whole new ones, making whole new quest's just seem's like one big step back to me . its even more complicated by the staff not being concerned what so ever at repairing the server but piddling with stupid new stuff that only gets halfway done before the staff disappear never to be seen again . I'm just saying they should TRY to keep what remains of the server before they just go gutting it . cujo seem's to be under this idea as well .
Ofcourse it doesn't always work out as it's a long term approach and as you say staff rarely remain committed for long enough, among plenty of other reasons. The concept however is that it's a big step backward from something which isn't working that would allow a server to eventually take 2 big steps forward. By sacrificing time in the short term and giving yourself a clean slate to work with, you're making development quicker and easier in the long run. To continue adding on top of an out dated foundation can be a struggle, to attempt to simply re-work it can be time inefficient.

As we all know what's good in theory isn't always good in realistic practise, the simple but realistic approach may often produce more of an end product than the ambitious long term approach, and to some this is better than nothing. At the same time however the quicker end product is less likely to push the boundaries of quality and offer something unique to Graal. So I suppose it's best to weigh it up according to the priority.