Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-16-2009, 08:44 AM
GeToNmYlEvEl is on a distinguished road
My first level-Drake

Please give me positive and negative feedback please.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	firstlevel.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	49639  

Last edited by Crono; 10-16-2009 at 09:06 AM..
Old 10-16-2009, 08:56 AM
smooth as eggs
racycle will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to racycle
well I was with you when u made this but its not bad. =] Hope to see even better content for you =O

Old 10-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Yeah hopefully we will lmao.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:05 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Press alt + 1 to take a full level screenshot and then attach it to your post. It's better than having an imgshack link.

Level itself is ok for a modern level. Seems a bit boring, it's only tables and chairs. Those doors (I assume the two indents on the top are for doors) are pretty ugly and don't really make much sense.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:33 AM
It's suppose to be a pub, but thank you.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Shaun will become famous soon enough
Good:
-Not too much empty, pointless space which is a problem even with some of the most veteran level makers.
-I like how the entrance to the building is clear - you keep a consistent viewing angle which is essential.

Bad:
-The chairs and tables are placed poorly. Remember, it's not a complete bird's eye view.
-The tables and walls could have more decoration on them

Other:
-I'd add more NPCs for interaction and to make the room look more full. I guess it depends on the purpose of the room though.
-I'd ignore what Crono says about the two entryways at the top. It matches the perspective of the rest of the level and is a novel approach. Clearly those entryways are leading into hallways - what you've done seems perfectly appropriate for that.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:22 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
-I'd ignore what Crono says about the two entryways at the top. It matches the perspective of the rest of the level and is a novel approach. Clearly those entryways are leading into hallways - what you've done seems perfectly appropriate for that.
Except I assumed they were generic doors leading to other large rooms which is pretty typical of modern themed servers on Graal. If what you say is what he intended then nice but otherwise I stick to what I posted.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
I'd ignore what Crono says about the two entryways at the top. It matches the perspective of the rest of the level and is a novel approach. Clearly those entryways are leading into hallways - what you've done seems perfectly appropriate for that.
Quote:
Remember, it's not a complete bird's eye view.
In the perspective that has been adopted, the transition between the level posted and the level above it would not have the same perfect lighting. Because of this, the wall and floor perspectives are not matched. Even though the walls are fitting to the rest of the room, the floor between the rooms looks completely flat and it need depth. Shadows as you get further from the current room and closer to the additional one would probably fix this, but at current it is not aesthetically obvious.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
In the perspective that has been adopted, the transition between the level posted and the level above it would not have the same perfect lighting. Because of this, the wall and floor perspectives are not matched. Even though the walls are fitting to the rest of the room, the floor between the rooms looks completely flat and it need depth. Shadows as you get further from the current room and closer to the additional one would probably fix this, but at current it is not aesthetically obvious.
I know two meanings of level that could be relevant - a physical .zelda, .graal, .nw level file and a difference in elevations. Neither of these make sense. I don't know what you mean when you talk about the different levels.

There's no reason to believe the entrance to the hallways would have different lighting unless we see the light sources themselves, which we don't.

Quote:
Except I assumed they were generic doors leading to other large rooms which is pretty typical of modern themed servers on Graal. If what you say is what he intended then nice but otherwise I stick to what I posted.
That wouldn't make sense and if that's what the level-maker did then he's an idiot.

I assume levels make sense, which is why I hate levels with random fence posts and the like as I've seen in the last few years.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:16 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
An empty doorway never looks good. You need to discern it from the rest of the level -- to portray that it leads to something, or that there is depth and content to the doorway. This is why you often see game graphics have pure black in doors instead of a floor or some such. Even pics1 is constructed that way. You can either place a shadow light effect in the doorway, a pure black hallway with a small transition tile(like pics1), or with a more realistic casted shadow graphic into the doorway.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
I know two meanings of level that could be relevant - a physical .zelda, .graal, .nw level file and a difference in elevations. Neither of these make sense. I don't know what you mean when you talk about the different levels.
I fail to see obscurity in what I said. The "hallways" you mentioned in your first post are not a part of this actual physical level, which would suggest that they exist somewhere else.

Quote:
There's no reason to believe the entrance to the hallways would have different lighting unless we see the light sources themselves, which we don't.
The hallways are a completely different room, why would you not see shadows between the levels? Dusty pretty much summed this up.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Quote:
I fail to see obscurity in what I said. The "hallways" you mentioned in your first post are not a part of this actual physical level, which would suggest that they exist somewhere else.
So you meant room, not level.

Quote:
The hallways are a completely different room, why would you not see shadows between the levels? Dusty pretty much summed this up.
Why would you see different lighting in the rooms? While I myself probably would put some black tile as DustyPorViva mentioned, I don't see it being necessary. Without a given light source (details on the lighting), there is no reason to assume the lighting in one room is different from the next. Also, when he/she said adding shadow to indicate a different room would be realistic, there's no reason to believe this - there is no indication that the lighting would be different in the two rooms or the transitional areas. It would be style.

When would it be realistic? When there would be light fixtures on the back walls there, leading to the hallways. We aren't given exact information on light sources and given the constant light to the entire room itself, it would seem most likely that the light source would carry into the hallways (it seems linear with line of sight) so we would see the same amount of light.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Luda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Luda
*Door, what do you have to say about the doors?
Old 10-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Empress Door the Unhinged
Door is a splendid one to beholdDoor is a splendid one to beholdDoor is a splendid one to beholdDoor is a splendid one to behold
I don't see doors, I see walls at the end of each hallway. Am I missing something?
Old 10-20-2009, 05:29 AM
smooth as eggs
racycle will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to racycle
Actualy thats spose to be the top of the doorframe. I hadnt added proper wall tiles for that yet or door gfx