Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Bomy Island Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-04-2008, 09:01 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by konidias View Post
Oh my god, KONI!
Old 09-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Cake'd
Nataxo is a glorious beacon of lightNataxo is a glorious beacon of lightNataxo is a glorious beacon of light
but siriously....ABOUT WHEN WILL IT COME OUT?:o
Old 09-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Okay, figured I should answer some questions.

While we know the overworld is not a priority task, it still needs to be done, and much like Zelda, most levels need a purpose. Modifications of the overworld are a bit more tricky than you'd imagine as the majority of the levels are needless fillers, and there's 600+ of them; things need to change in that respect. I personally feel as though the levels are just as important as everything else, because they are a large part of the gameplay. The Underground Lake will still be there, but except for the water-entrance at Bomboria, the entrances to the lake are being moved around, and some new ones added. I'm not sure about revisions for the lake, as that's somewhere I've been avoiding as I personally hated it, and Bird Bird's weird monsters down there, but it'll come.

I don't know when the server will be done, but it won't be released until it is. I guess that's all I can say about that really, but I wouldn't imagine anyone else attempting to release an unfinished server either
Old 09-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Banned
sid.gottlieb@googlemail.com will become famous soon enough
Quote:
ohsnap hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Old 09-06-2008, 02:50 AM
o.o
Switch has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Switch
Quote:
Yeahuh
hai.
u shud be more active, nub!
Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye?
Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:22 AM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias
Just stopped by to see what's up. It's fun to see what's happening with Graal nowadays. Wish I could have stuck around and finished the server but school took priority. I graduated in March but I've been working up until now on 3d animation for a short that might get turned into a full length movie. Now I have to pack and move before the end of the month, and also land a bigger better job somewhere.

But enough about my life... it's nice to see that Bomy Island hasn't totally died since I left. There was only so much left to do on it really... I don't think I intended on having every level have a purpose, just more levels having things to do or see instead of "trees, bushes, rocks, trees..."

Put this image in your sig if you support Bomy Island! (g2k1 revision)
play bomberman while you wait!

Old 09-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
There was only so much left to do on it really...
Really? When I first logged on there was next to nothing there, no scripting, no house insides, only graphics and huge plans that would take a long time.

Quote:
I don't think I intended on having every level have a purpose, just more levels having things to do or see instead of "trees, bushes, rocks, trees..."
Yeah actually, you did
Old 09-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Old Bee
No scripting? The GUI, inventory, all new movement system etc were all done at that point... Even the train had been rescripted (sort of). There was a working time system and weather system, new bomy pet system with a GUI that let you program them to do things... Clothing system that lets you wear a crap ton of things... All of that was scripted already... most of the hard stuff was out of the way. Oh... there was even AI scripted that actually let the NPC have affection for you and walk around the overworld and do things and interact with players... The bread/baking job was totally done except a few minor things too.

Heck, there was even an all new system to chat and read signs.

When I meant "every level should have a purpose" I meant like... instead of levels full of trees there could be new towns or a start to a quest or new job or just an area with a couple new NPCs that you could talk to, or just nice looking levels in general. Honestly it wasn't really that hard to make, I just didn't have time to do it all by myself.

The only thing I recall needing scripting were jobs/quests/kingdoms. That was the major stuff that was left to go... Oh and I think the combat system was halfway done when I left. But yeah... one scripter could have finished most all of that by now.

edit: I forgot about all of the tools were also rescripted, new fun mining system that was totally redone, new bug catching job, birds that actually flew around in 8 directions that could land and you could catch them and keep them as pets, butterflies, roaches, the ability to become tiny sized, several quests had levels and documents done already, the overworld cliffs had been 90% fixed. All of the old trees were replaced with new ones. etc

Whoops, also forgot to mention a whole new playerhouse system where each person got to own a house and an outdoor level and you could buy furniture and put it in your house and have a mailbox and receive/send mail/gifts to people. You could even landscape your outdoor area. That was all scripted too (aside from the mailboxes)

Maybe you are working on a different Bomy Island?

Old 09-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Quote:
No scripting? The GUI, inventory, all new movement system etc were all done at that point... Even the train had been rescripted (sort of). There was a working time system and weather system, new bomy pet system with a GUI that let you program them to do things... Clothing system that lets you wear a crap ton of things... All of that was scripted already... most of the hard stuff was out of the way. Oh... there was even AI scripted that actually let the NPC have affection for you and walk around the overworld and do things and interact with players... The bread/baking job was totally done except a few minor things too.

Heck, there was even an all new system to chat and read signs.

When I meant "every level should have a purpose" I meant like... instead of levels full of trees there could be new towns or a start to a quest or new job or just an area with a couple new NPCs that you could talk to, or just nice looking levels in general. Honestly it wasn't really that hard to make, I just didn't have time to do it all by myself.

The only thing I recall needing scripting were jobs/quests/kingdoms. That was the major stuff that was left to go... Oh and I think the combat system was halfway done when I left. But yeah... one scripter could have finished most all of that by now.

edit: I forgot about all of the tools were also rescripted, new fun mining system that was totally redone, new bug catching job, birds that actually flew around in 8 directions that could land and you could catch them and keep them as pets, butterflies, roaches, the ability to become tiny sized, several quests had levels and documents done already, the overworld cliffs had been 90% fixed. All of the old trees were replaced with new ones. etc

Whoops, also forgot to mention a whole new playerhouse system where each person got to own a house and an outdoor level and you could buy furniture and put it in your house and have a mailbox and receive/send mail/gifts to people. You could even landscape your outdoor area. That was all scripted too (aside from the mailboxes)

Maybe you are working on a different Bomy Island?
No, I'm working on top of the work that was made in your revision. If the content you're talking about was created while you were around, then something has gone on from you leaving to me joining, because when I did join there was the following scripted:
  • Movement which did not mimic the default, and the default is as it is for a smoother movement so I decided against that.
  • The inventory, which is impressive but unfinished.
  • Mining, which was unfinished.
  • "New" style GUI.
  • A start screen, which was unfinished.
  • Bomberman, which is also impressive.
  • Train that was bugged.
  • Clothing system.

That was all.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:57 PM
farte6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Whenever a server switches power a bunch of things are always "lost" to never return and someone pretty much tries to start all over.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:06 AM
Joe Cruddas (VIP)
gravator has a spectacular aura aboutgravator has a spectacular aura about
So now what's going to happen, will some more work be done only for someone else to suddenly decide on other things to do in their life? That seems to be a very common thing with graal, a project that sounds like a winner gets lots of work done but not finished and gets left to another person, that other person may or may not decide that the project is not to their liking and start from square one therefore putting all that good work to waste, or trying to work with what they have and not really getting anywhere.

Is it someones plan to keep dealing with bomy island in private? Or will enough work be taken care of to get it partially playable but have most of the unfinished content disabled while you work on it?
Old 09-07-2008, 12:57 AM
Old Bee
The problem will always be there unless something changes. Because there is no incentive to spend countless hours building a server, and eventually life takes priority. You can only do something as a hobby for so long before you feel you should be compensated for your hard work and time put in. Especially when someone else is going to profit from it.

There's just no real reason for anyone to want to spend one or more years of their life working on something that will only get some thanks from players who appreciate it. Especially people who have to work and pay rent and support family or other people. It's fine for people who are young or supported by someone else, because it gives you a lot of free time to do whatever you want. But even then, where is the reward for all of the work?

That's why it is so hard to get a playerworld completed. If the manager could even stay around for several years, they would still have to find scripters and people to make content who also could work several hours a day for free. It's just a lot harder to do when everyone wants to make their own server and only have skills in certain areas.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:18 AM
Oinkness will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Oinkness Send a message via MSN to Oinkness Send a message via Yahoo to Oinkness
Koni, I was looking forward to Oasis to the point where I would log on once in a while and try to talk to you. I never even knew you started on BI after that. You really saddened me with your failures. I had a lot of respect for your work but alas it seems like none of it was ever completed.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:33 AM
Old Bee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oinkness View Post
Koni, I was looking forward to Oasis to the point where I would log on once in a while and try to talk to you. I never even knew you started on BI after that. You really saddened me with your failures. I had a lot of respect for your work but alas it seems like none of it was ever completed.
Sorry to disappoint... I really am. It was never my intention to hype up my work and not finish it... All the work I did was going to be for the community to enjoy, so please don't hold it against me or anything.

I wish I could have found enough people willing to help, but as mentioned I have a pretty high standard for quality... and while I could have lowered my standards, I think the server would have suffered more for it.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
I for one am greatful for all the work you've done. Very very impressive material on BI from what I've seen.