Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Unholy Nation Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 07:37 AM
WaDaFack is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Sparring, a lag competition?

Over the passed few years, legit sparring has faded into a huge lag competition.
Other than it being actual skill, all you need to do is lag your internet than spar in such a technique, you are almost unbeatable by the average player.
It's just ridiculous on how players who have 200+ MS think they are the top10 sparrers on Graal just because they can warp behind you than all of the sudden hit you. It's basically the person with the best lag basically dominates everyone.
To fix this. . .UN should get it's own hit detection script; one that is far more accurate, or at least prevent people from sparring if they have [89-100[ MS.
I, myself, isn't a sparrer but I just find it dumb that nice-fair and clear sparring was taken over by internet lag.
This doesn't just go for UN but for any other server with 1v1 competition.

Comments? Feedback?

Old 07-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Baszle is on a distinguished road
no
Old 07-18-2009, 08:03 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
I don't think there is any way to make HD more accurate... you can't get rid of lag, therefor you can't get rid of the effect lag has player interaction(AKA HD). You could serverside it, but you still get lag problems(see what Classic had dealt with for a LONG time).

I think a nice addition would be screwing with the rating system, and having the gained rating for winning scaled from 25-100%, depending on the last check(when the spar ends?) of their ping. <50ms would mean you gained 100% of your due rating, and >300ms would mean you'd only get 25% of your 'gained' rating from winning. Anything between those numbers would scale accordingly.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:46 AM
Dark_Zeratul101 is on a distinguished road
Over the past years? Lag has always been around on Graal. I can't see how it has gotten "worse" It's always seem consistent.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
He is right though. More and more people are tending to lag. Could be intentional.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 07-18-2009, 03:49 PM
|Mêrçy|
LordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to all
If you're considered a 'good legit sparrer' you would be able to beat people who lag, delay, skip, and etc. There has always been laggers on EVERY server and just because they lag does not mean that they are any good. I know I can personally beat most laggers.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquirt View Post
If you're considered a 'good legit sparrer' you would be able to beat people who lag, delay, skip, and etc. There has always been laggers on EVERY server and just because they lag does not mean that they are any good. I know I can personally beat most laggers.
I agree, there has always been lag but now it's just getting worse.
. . . and being good at sparring does not refer you to being good at fighting a lagger. It's two different styles/techniques when fighting, you wont fight a lagger as you do to a normal person, will you?

Old 07-18-2009, 05:37 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Learn to anticipate their actions, and lead your slashes. Finally don't spar intentional laggers.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
Learn to anticipate their actions, and lead your slashes. Finally don't spar intentional laggers.
Leading your hit's isn't as easy as it sounds. Players tend to "trick" you out, so leading can just resolve into you being hit.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
They are inevitable to fight in spar tournies.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 07-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
I don't think he means the lag is getting worse, but the people are -- they are intentionally lagging up their connection to get the upper hand.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:04 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Then perhaps UN needs to take better precautions to people using net limiters, and tapping.

I'd probably make a utility console for ping, and watch their ping before sparring, during, and after. Do this for a few spars, and you should be able to get an idea if they're doing it intentionally or not.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Delteria
Cloven has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Cloven
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
I don't think he means the lag is getting worse, but the people are -- they are intentionally lagging up their connection to get the upper hand.
This is pretty much what an entire spar tournament consists of on UN. It is something that should have been policed for a long time now, though many of the leading participants tend to be in cahoots with one or more staff members.

Please note that I do not say this simply to rant about the staff, as I just have this silly expectation of seeing some sort of professionalism on Graal someday. It would make UN a better place which is ultimately what's important.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Zeus Condero
papajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloven View Post
This is pretty much what an entire spar tournament consists of on UN. It is something that should have been policed for a long time now, though many of the leading participants tend to be in cahoots with one or more staff members.

Please note that I do not say this simply to rant about the staff, as I just have this silly expectation of seeing some sort of professionalism on Graal someday. It would make UN a better place which is ultimately what's important.
Graal will never have professionalism when 12 year olds can be staff members.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Delteria
Cloven has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Cloven
Quote:
Originally Posted by papajchris View Post
Graal will never have professionalism when 12 year olds can be staff members.
I don't think it's a specific age so much as it's Administrative staff not gauging maturity correctly. Even in real life, quite a few of the younger staff I've hired have outperformed their older counterparts. Ultimately (and within reason) it's going to depend upon, and should be evaluated on, an individual basis.