Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Graphic Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-20-2007, 10:35 PM
N-Pulse Assistant Manager
coreys has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to coreys Send a message via MSN to coreys Send a message via Yahoo to coreys
Rock [3D]

Well, I've been practicing 3D for a long time now, trying to get the hang of it. I started working with Maya, which has worked well with me (I need the full version, cause the learning edition has its...limitations), and I've finally gotten then hang of it and here is my first real attempt at anything 3D. It's simple enough, but I went all out on the texture, I put as much detail as I could think of.

And heres just the texture in case you were curious.

Unfortunately I made the texture too small, so it got kinda stretched. And the downside of having the Maya Learners Edition is it puts that little logo over the view after you render it.

Quote:
*SlikRick: so should I even ask about your aim status?
*Xor: well if you want to
*Xor: but i am LARPING
*SlikRick: While on a computer?
*Xor: yes
*Xor: in my living room
*SlikRick: ahh
*Xor: i have a fort setup to hide from beasts
Old 01-20-2007, 10:57 PM
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
seeing as i cant do 3d at all, anything looks amazing to me, 9 outta 10 for that rock
Old 01-20-2007, 10:58 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
You either need a bigger texture, or one with a higher quality. But I kinda like the rock itself.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Send a message via AIM to coreys Send a message via MSN to coreys Send a message via Yahoo to coreys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
You either need a bigger texture, or one with a higher quality. But I kinda like the rock itself.
Yeah I'm working on a bigger, better one right now. The first one was only 256x256 =/

Quote:
Old 01-20-2007, 11:31 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreys View Post
Yeah I'm working on a bigger, better one right now. The first one was only 256x256 =/
I used to play with some 3D objects, and 1024*1024 is a pretty good size for small ones. 512*512 is better if you want to make a whole game though. 1024*1024 would need to many resources for so many small objects :]
Old 01-20-2007, 11:56 PM
Quote:
I used to play with some 3D objects, and 1024*1024 is a pretty good size for small ones. 512*512 is better if you want to make a whole game though. 1024*1024 would need to many resources for so many small objects :]
I made a 512x512 now, because this program doesn't let me go to 1024x1024. >=( This is practice (although it might be used) for a game (that I cannot mention because mods will get mad ;[) that me and my friend are making. It has so many restraints, once we really start we'll buy something (via the company we are working for that I also cannot name) professional.

Anyways, heres my improved version (hardly).

Quote:
Old 01-21-2007, 12:45 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Looks better to me. But you actually can make good looking textures. I got a newish computer and I was yet too lazy to download my favourite Photoshop plugin to make decent textures
Old 01-21-2007, 12:50 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Noise the texture by about 5-10% to give it a granulated look.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post
Noise the texture by about 5-10% to give it a granulated look.
Eh, I tried but then when I blurred it so that it doesn't look like theres a million dots or random color it just turned to crap and lost a lot of detail.

Quote:
Old 01-21-2007, 01:12 AM
Inferno (Level Designer)
Infernix is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Infernix
Looks like a rotten potato the 2nd time.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:17 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreys
Eh, I tried but then when I blurred it so that it doesn't look like theres a million dots or random color it just turned to crap and lost a lot of detail.
Don't blur it. Take the texture and noise it to 5-10% or even 15-20% if needed. When you do so, make sure you have the noise set to monochrome so you won't get 'random colors.' Usually uniform or gaussian noising works the best. Random noising usually sucks and should be avoided if at all possible.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post
Don't blur it. Take the texture and noise it to 5-10% or even 15-20% if needed. When you do so, make sure you have the noise set to monochrome so you won't get 'random colors.' Usually uniform or gaussian noising works the best. Random noising usually sucks and should be avoided if at all possible.
Paint Shop Pro 7 can't do that. ;-;

Quote:
Old 01-21-2007, 01:24 AM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreys View Post
Paint Shop Pro 7 can't do that. ;-;
I will roffle all of my waffles if this is true.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:26 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Effects -> Noise -> ...
Sure you cant do that with PSP 7?:>
Old 01-21-2007, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Effects -> Noise -> ...
Sure you cant do that with PSP 7?:>
There is a noise filter in PSP7, of course. But it only does random colors.

Quote: