Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Fuzzoodles
iFuzzy is on a distinguished road
Smile Cliff help? :/

Hi there, I'm almost mastered in using every Pics1 tile in the set. But the only thing I am having trouble with now is understanding how to use the cliffs..

Here's a picture of what the problem is. I can't find the tiles for making the corner and turning right to go down and then left.
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuztest.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	51934
Any responses about my question will be greatly appreciated, please explain what tiles I should use in this case, or post a level/picture tutorial.

If I don't understand, I will most likely do this:
-Here's my sort of off topic question/wants and needs:

EDIT: I just noticed there is a lot of cliff tutorial levels in the sticky'd threads, I guess I can just focus on hiring a LAT then, but I don't really have any information to offer yet about Cypheria, so I could inform you all in the future what our plans will be. Right now we are just focusing on a good GMAP .
I'm looking for only 1 LAT to help me out on Cypheria, it's not a silly newbie server you guys are thinking of. I mostly just need one person to tutor me in Cliffing as it's my only weakness. If you really helped me, you will be kept on the RC and join the community if you'd like. Thank you.

-Jordan.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Xelt
King homer daStupid is a jewel in the roughKing homer daStupid is a jewel in the rough
Old 11-12-2010, 12:26 AM
Rjax Shizibz
Dnegel will become famous soon enough
Old 11-12-2010, 01:07 AM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattKan
Hehe I recognize those levels.
On the other hand, free-to-play games, if unbalanced, could result in some consumers paying extremely large amounts of money, and we can certainly not expect to build a good relationship with our consumers in this fashion. In order to have a favorable long-term relationship, we would like to offer free-to-play games that are balanced and reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unximad
Eurocenter Games remains attached to the values of indies game developer and to the service our playerbase community.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:18 AM
Fuzzoodles
iFuzzy is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by King homer daStupid View Post
Thanks! This little sample will give me an small tip on making more cliffs in the future.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:38 AM
Mateus Cerastes
Oladahn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Oladahn
This is a level I made a very long time ago on Delteria. Might be a helpful reference.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
You guys with your online editors...I lulz at you

Old 11-18-2010, 01:09 AM
Ez
Fogell is on a distinguished road
:O iFuzzy, u fail now
Old 11-18-2010, 01:20 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oladahn View Post
This is a level I made a very long time ago on Delteria. Might be a helpful reference.
That's pretty cute in a wrong sort of way.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Mateus Cerastes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
That's pretty cute in a wrong sort of way.
What exactly is that supposed to mean?
Old 11-18-2010, 01:37 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Ha, mixed messages for the win.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:01 AM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
i don't like it- alot of errors =[
Old 11-21-2010, 02:15 AM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oladahn View Post
This is a level I made a very long time ago on Delteria. Might be a helpful reference.[/IMG]
Man, I don't know what it is, but this level is really unappealing to me.

Might be the practical functionality of the level, which is nonexistent.
If you want to see how to properly do cliffing, visit the desert area in A Link to the Past, and be very observant of the way that the same cliffs wrap around the entire set of levels. I have yet to see anyone cliff so well in the Graal universe/context.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:39 AM
Mateus Cerastes
The reason there are errors is because I made non-traditional cliff heights and there aren't all the required tiles to do so. At the time custom tilesets weren't at all common. As far as functionality goes, those cliffs in the Zelda desert? Yeah, they don't look at all realistic. I was going for what you might find on an actual coastal area. Lots of varied heights, broken edges, etc. Just trying something different.

Man, I forgot just how negative these forums are.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:37 AM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
It's cool man. I think it took a lot of skill to come up with what you made, and I won't deny that I have done similar works myself in the past. It's fun.

I honestly give you a 10/10 for artistic merit. As a picture for looking at, and using a video game tileset to come up with the picture, it is a very nice picture to look at. But as a level in a video game that has any sort of purpose or fuction, I would rate it low.

And to make sure I stay on topic: as a guide to tiling cliffs it falls very short. I would make sure to have proper examples in such a guide, otherwise people might use your guide and make the same mistakes their entire lives. It's like showing a young basketball player how to shoot wrong who might have been told how to shoot right alternatively and sent down a path that may have lead them to the NBA. If you teach up-and-comers the wrong way, that can be a great disservice to them and to the community as a whole.