FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 07:48 AM
Era Developer
Bl0nkt will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Bl0nkt
Era Baddies -- A Continuation

Hey there, guys.

I've recently come back with rights to the dev server and have begun working on some rather large projects, one being (what I am also featuring right now) a near-finished product of my baddies project I started quite a while ago.

The above video is Era veteran, The Guy, and I testing a semi-wide-scale battle. The lag you see is the result of our less-than-spectacular dev server, but for the most part remains smooth.

Baddy Features

I tried to focus solely on a bit of realism with these baddies. I didn't want them to feel like a pumpfest of lead while they mindlessly chase after someone with a knife. A few things are quite apparently from the video:

-Baddy strafing and distance keeping
This holds true when they aren't flagged in the code to be a melee-based baddy. This video has no examples of a melee baddy, but I'm sure you have a general idea of how it'd work.

-Baddy threat
The baddies will not seemingly have a vendetta against the first person they see as was the case of other baddies in the past. Those doing more damage will be considered more dangerous targets, and will be switched to accordingly.

-Baddy line of sight
You may have noticed they do not attack until you are seen. This is intentional.

-Baddy damage sources
In the past, I've had a gripe with systems that seemed to work well for all typical damage sources like guns or melee, but then seem to disregard non-conventional sources of damage such as explosions. Most, if not all, sources of damage are accounted for this time around.

Some Non-Apparent Tidbits

-Friendly and easy-to-use setup
These baddies are highly customizable with simple variable changes. NPC Speed, bullet spread, ammo type, etc. are all options to set.

-Reflex
This was a neat idea I had to add another level of baddy difficulty. The reflex variable is essentially a pause in the baddy's reactions to your movements so that it doesn't seems so gung-ho and robotic.

So, what do you plan on doing with these?

That's just it, they're flexible enough to implement in nearly any system. I've been focusing primarily on quests with neat stories and fun gimmicks, and some lifelike baddies were key to helping this come true. There are many ideas that I, and others that I collaborate with, have come up with. My proposition for the new gang system involves these guys as well. However, that will come later once I get more of that developed and out of the way.

Anyway, I've been working hard to provide you guys a fun environment. And that's what I find so much fun. So I hope you guys dig it and I'll keep you all posted.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:53 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
good job
Old 03-20-2012, 08:10 AM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
HACHI GOOD WURK MAN, GUD 2 C U BACK <3caps

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 03-20-2012, 08:17 AM
King
Herb_P2P is a glorious beacon of lightHerb_P2P is a glorious beacon of lightHerb_P2P is a glorious beacon of light
nice!, We need the Boris baddie back!

and also glad to see you back, Hachi!

R.I.P. Travis Fo
Late Night Crew
Old 03-20-2012, 11:42 AM
!
Andre2006 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Andre2006
I have been waiting for this!
Old 03-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Era since 2005
bloodykiller is infamous around these partsbloodykiller is infamous around these parts
impressive work but i really don't see where these baddies could fit into era...they have nothing to do with the gang system and we've finally gotten rid of those time-wasting quests, replacing them with a proper hp system
Old 03-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Still wasting time here?
Scoper is a glorious beacon of lightScoper is a glorious beacon of lightScoper is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Scoper
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodykiller View Post
impressive work but i really don't see where these baddies could fit into era...they have nothing to do with the gang system and we've finally gotten rid of those time-wasting quests, replacing them with a proper hp system
silly boy.

I don't know how you plan to implement these baddies, but i can't wait to find out c:

"I don't believe that right choice confers immunity. I no longer believe in reward. I simply believe that choices must be made regardless of their chances of success. And so I've come here."
Quote:
take my liver but not my classic accounts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohola_KinG View Post
That's the type of guy you are. Never wrong, always right. Headache material you are.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Emera is a jewel in the roughEmera is a jewel in the rough
That looks fantastic. I've never heard f baddies on Era before, but I'm sure it'll be a great addition to the server. Green pepper for you!
Old 03-20-2012, 06:52 PM
IT'S TIME TO PARTY LET'S
Good_Ol_Daze will become famous soon enough
Quote:
They're involved in Hachi and I's gang idea.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:54 PM
!
Andre2006 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Andre2006
Tim was working on a Tutorial, and "baddies" could be implemented into that so new players can practice, you could base some sort of event on these, some sort of survival challenge.

There are many ways to make use of these, nice work!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Era since 2005
bloodykiller is infamous around these partsbloodykiller is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoper View Post
silly boy.

I don't know how you plan to implement these baddies, but i can't wait to find out c:
dnt call me a boy behind ur screen pat, remember i have ur facebook and ik what kind of nerd u r
no1 cares about ur idea daze unless u actually tell us. all i can tell u is that if these guys r involved with the gang system it'll fail and everyone will hate it (just as i said regarding the current gang system, and no1 believed me..yet here we stand)..u should go work on another project that duznt require gang experience
Old 03-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Fiberwyre_P2P will become famous soon enough
Zombie survival plox
Old 03-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Era since 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberwyre_P2P View Post
Zombie survival plox
lol this is a nice idea! but i doubt any staff member will put a lot of time in such a demanding project since lately they don't even have time to fix bugs like the neo rifle randomly not being able to hotkey (like 16 hours have passed and it hasn't been fixed yet)
Old 03-20-2012, 09:54 PM
world-class douchebag
RogueShatterblade will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to RogueShatterblade
Quote:
dnt call me a boy behind ur screen pat, remember i have ur facebook and ik what kind of nerd u r
no1 cares about ur idea daze unless u actually tell us. all i can tell u is that if these guys r involved with the gang system it'll fail and everyone will hate it (just as i said regarding the current gang system, and no1 believed me..yet here we stand)..u should go work on another project that duznt require gang experience
that hilarious moment when a pseudo-troll just looks stupid instead of being successful

*Bell: I'm going to faint, Ocelot turned into a real human being. One I can actually have some respect for.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Era Developer
Bl0nkt will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Bl0nkt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberwyre_P2P View Post
Zombie survival plox
Apparently no one remembers that Outbreak event I made, huh