Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-11-2014, 12:12 AM
i8bit is an unknown quantity at this point
RPG Engine Help

First off, allow me to explain what I'm trying to do. I'm sure everyone has played one of the original Final Fantasy, or even Pokemon games. You're roaming around, and then BOOM, you encounter an enemy and you are in battle.

My battle system is complete, but I'm having trouble grasping my mind around how to get the player to change to his/her own private level to fight that specific enemy. If a player is in battle, I don't want other players to join that same battle.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-11-2014, 12:19 AM
Inari is on a distinguished road
One approach would be to use copylevel to make a new level for each player and then just change the tiles and monsters shown on that level once it was created?
Old 10-11-2014, 01:43 PM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
Use this instance system-

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...light=instance

I use it on Era all the time. (Read the entire thread as all your questions will have already been asked)
Old 10-11-2014, 01:54 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Thoughts? Sure! Don't use copy level or the instance manager at all. Don't get me wrong, they have their place, and Chris' instance manager is great. But for a system like this, you probably won't need it. Am I correct in assuming that the fights will be round based, just like Pokemon and Final Fantasy? No need for extra levels for every player, then. If you want to initiate a fight right there and then, wherever the player is, just hide them from the other players, and also hide other players from them, then just draw the enemies and whatnot on the client side. If the fights don't necessarily need to happen where the player is now, but can happen in an area that looks like the one the player is in, warp them to a designated level for that area, and do the same as above. All players currently fighting in such an area would end up there, so you won't get around hiding them from each other.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Thoughts? Sure! Don't use copy level or the instance manager at all. Don't get me wrong, they have their place, and Chris' instance manager is great. But for a system like this, you probably won't need it. Am I correct in assuming that the fights will be round based, just like Pokemon and Final Fantasy? No need for extra levels for every player, then. If you want to initiate a fight right there and then, wherever the player is, just hide them from the other players, and also hide other players from them, then just draw the enemies and whatnot on the client side. If the fights don't necessarily need to happen where the player is now, but can happen in an area that looks like the one the player is in, warp them to a designated level for that area, and do the same as above. All players currently fighting in such an area would end up there, so you won't get around hiding them from each other.
It's "real-time" combat. Almost like the Tales of series if you've ever played.

And I thought about it. scripting baddies via clientside would make the combat much smoother. But if a player is in a party for co-op during combat, I can see where some issues might come in
Old 10-11-2014, 04:33 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Yea, Tales games combat is pretty fun. Could get a bit tricky, though. Well, see if it works out for you; and if it doesn't, use Chris' instance manager
Old 10-13-2014, 12:46 PM
So I was thinking about this pretty long and wanted to get some expert opinions.

What if every baddie roaming around the gmap had it's own designated "battle level"

For example, let's say there is Monster #1, Monster #2, Monster #3, etc.
When you run into Monster run, you warp to battleMap_monster1.nw
So in this way, others could join the fight.

Taking all criticism
Before I jump into anything, I want to have a solid proof plan
Old 10-13-2014, 05:38 PM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Isn't there a server option for single player levels? I thought that made each level act as if only you are in it.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:51 PM
Global Administration
MysticalDragon is just really niceMysticalDragon is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to MysticalDragon Send a message via MSN to MysticalDragon
No there isn't. I guess you can hideplayers from other players but there still technically in the same level. Best thing would be to make your own unique instance engine for your needs.
http://support.toonslab.com
[email protected]

Old 10-14-2014, 02:54 AM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
We have a script on Zodiac in my starting area that hides other players and hides yourself from others aswell as disabling all sounds from other players, if i catch raven online I can ask him for permission to post it here