Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English) > Server Maintenance
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Social Engineer
Personal Jesus is on a distinguished road
extreme lag

over the past few days Era and other classic servers have been experiencing extreme lag at random.

any answers?
Old 11-02-2007, 08:49 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Yea, there were several, pretty evil lag spikes :o
Old 11-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
Stefan told Ibonic that Zodiac and UN seem to be using a large amount of resources and he's going to check it this next week.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:37 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Unholy Nation is not on the same machine as Era. But Zodiac is...pff.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:44 AM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
We have optimized Zodiac a little bit, should be better now.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:54 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
We have optimized Zodiac a little bit, should be better now.
You optimized it?! I wonder what the hell they did to cause those horrible lagspikes.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:28 PM
My empire of dirt
Twinny is just really niceTwinny is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Twinny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
You optimized it?! I wonder what the hell they did to cause those horrible lagspikes.
Novo did quite an optimization when I was working there but it has always been laggy. Unless the team recently made some awful changes, I'd say the optimizations just improved what has always been there.

You said we, Stefan. Who else helped you?
Old 11-03-2007, 02:04 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinny View Post
I'd say the optimizations just improved what has always been there.
If it was Zodiac, it didnt lag the other playerworlds on its machine so badly...
Old 11-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
Optimization in terms of reducing the memory usage. Each player had hundreds of clientr.muditem_ flags, the original scripters probably thought those are deleted at logout, but they are not, it's clientr.mud_. So those flags required a huge amount of memory on server-side and also made login slower. Also there were two dbnpcs with a huge amount of variables which were not used anyway but it was adding more and more.

I cannot blame the scripters, but if each server would take >500 MByte memory then there is not enough memory on the machine. There should eventually be some tools to measure the memory usage of npcs, players and levels.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:57 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Quote:
Optimization in terms of reducing the memory usage. Each player had hundreds of clientr.muditem_ flags, the original scripters probably thought those are deleted at logout, but they are not, it's clientr.mud_. So those flags required a huge amount of memory on server-side and also made login slower. Also there were two dbnpcs with a huge amount of variables which were not used anyway but it was adding more and more.

I cannot blame the scripters, but if each server would take >500 MByte memory then there is not enough memory on the machine. There should eventually be some tools to measure the memory usage of npcs, players and levels.
I think it would be better to put all the not-so-much-memory-eating playerworlds onto one of the better machines you mentioned somewhere, and only put one or two memory-eating playerworlds on the other ones. If you got enough...
Old 11-03-2007, 04:15 PM
My empire of dirt
Quote:
Did you rewrite the system (I sure hope so) or just remove unnecessary flags? I know the second lot of item flags are just descriptions of items and as such are unnecessary. It's an awful system. Instead of the current method, could just store them clientside in a temporary space: retrieve only what you need when you need. Depends on what you did though .

Quote:
There should eventually be some tools to measure the memory usage of npcs, players and levels.
/memstats

Last edited by Twinny; 11-03-2007 at 04:36 PM..
Old 11-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Graal Administration
The systems are actually quite intelligent, those flags are sent when needed, but they were not deleted if not needed.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:12 PM
My empire of dirt
Quote:
The systems are actually quite intelligent
Zodiac systems....intelligent!? I will not....I cannot accept this . The amount of patchwork needed was horrendous. The whole 'lol clientside weapon/stat system' was awful enough....