Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 08:09 AM
unknown
Logababy will become famous soon enough
LAg.

Okay, I admit that I don't have the best computer but my lag is boosted by about 100 ms because I'm Australian. I get annoyed when people say I'm eating bullets while on my screen i'm dodging them. Any chance we can some what raise the lag limit for events? Like I can't play any type of spar, it really sucks. Or has anyone got recommendations of how to keep lag down? If your Australian and have a lag under 200 pm me or post here.

PS: This is mainly for suggestions, this is not a complain.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
Nobody in Australia has latency under 200 on Graal. Trust me
Old 06-18-2010, 09:07 AM
IwishIwas1337 is on a distinguished road
Same with me since I'm from NZ =[
Old 06-18-2010, 09:17 AM
unknown
Logababy will become famous soon enough
what about under 250?
Old 06-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
Lower chat size.
Turn off all particle/light effects.
Turn off nicknames during spars.
Shrink your screen size.
Get a better computer/internet.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:20 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaman771 View Post
Get a better <..> internet.
This is the only one that will have any significant difference.

The 250 MS limit is a guideline; it was not made to be enforced unless players are causing problems (lagging so much that they are disrupting the event). If indeed you are eating bullets, it shouldn't be hard to see why that isn't really fair to others.

Hopefully serverside hit detection in events after the reset will help alleviate the problems caused by players on high-latency connections. Graal works as such that players on worse connections almost have an advantage as opposed to other online games where those players have a disadvantage. This is the reason that the latency limit exists.

Indeed the guideline can be unfair to those with poor connections or on the opposite side of the world as America, so I will remind all of the Events Team members that the rule is not supposed to be enforced unless the player is disrupting the event with an unreasonable amount of lag.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:55 PM
ω
Seeya is a splendid one to beholdSeeya is a splendid one to beholdSeeya is a splendid one to beholdSeeya is a splendid one to beholdSeeya is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Seeya
i hear world of warcraft is pretty cheap

Old 06-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Banchou
Komali is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Komali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logababy View Post
Or has anyone got recommendations of how to keep lag down? If your Australian and have a lag under 200 pm me or post here.
Thanks
Move to Tokyo, it's only 8 hours away and has the best connection in the world!
Old 06-18-2010, 10:15 PM
hunterhunk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post

Hopefully serverside hit detection in events after the reset will help alleviate the problems caused by players on high-latency connections. Graal works as such that players on worse connections almost have an advantage as opposed to other online games where those players have a disadvantage. This is the reason that the latency limit exists.

This, from Geo

Superintendent, G. Cassini (Fri Jun 18 16:08:48 2010):
I really hope you are kidding when you say you are going to use serverside hit detection for ANYTHING. They were removed for a reason and if you put the back in you will kill PKing just like Jenn did. There is no skill in serverside PK, this is not a 3d 3rd person shooter where aim is everything, in this server it's all about dodging and no matter how much someone is lagging they still have to dodge. Sure it's a pain in the butt sometimes, but you buck up and deal with it. Putting in serverside PK scripts ruin PK because you would be killing dodging which is 98% of Era PK. Every tiny pixel difference matters in dodging, so if the bullet isn't exactly where I think it is on my screen and I'm weaving between 2 bullets, then I'll be hit by invisible bullets.

Yeah, don't screw up PKing, please.

-Geovanni Cassini

- I personally believe that PKing should be clientside as well, lag really doesn't give players a HUGE advantage...
Old 06-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Rjax Shizibz
Dnegel will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterhunk View Post
lag really doesn't give players a HUGE advantage...
Mmmm, I dont really know..

I agree with Geo that without Dogding on Era, PK'ing will become boring.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Dark_Zeratul101 is on a distinguished road
Serverside hit detection has been done before, but it didn't work out.

I'm not really sure if lag gives a huge advantage, to me it just makes the player incredibly irritating and wastes my patience.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Freudian_slip is an unknown quantity at this point
Serverside hit detection is a not a good idea. It was made clientside for a reason, its been tried. Lets learn from the mistakes of the pass, lag is a problem... the way its being dealt with now is fine, no point of fixing whats not broken.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:36 AM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
Graal works as such that players on worse connections almost have an advantage as opposed to other online games where those players have a disadvantage. This is the reason that the latency limit exists.
So because some people have a disadvantage in some other games you're going to completely change the game mechanics so that they have a disadvantage in this game too? Perfect logic.

Serverside hit detection won't make things fair, it'll just change who has the advantage. Somebody is always going to have a latency advantage, so why not just let it be the laggers for once?

@ Slash, Geo & Raven
Chris can probably script better serverside hit detection than Jenn did.
And he's only talking about serverside in events/spars. So not for everyday PKing (probably only because serverside projectiles are still terrible at travelling between levels).
But Geo does have a point that under serverside the projectile will NEVER be exactly where you see it on your screen and dodging will count a lot less.

Could you achieve the same effect by using a serverside movement system instead of serverside projectiles? At least that way projectiles would maintain their honest positions and be kind of dodge-able if you know your own movement latency.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:44 AM
xChugxLifex
Frankie is a jewel in the roughFrankie is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Frankie Send a message via MSN to Frankie
latency makes it annoying but it doesn't give anyone an advantage. regardless if they're lagging or not, they still have to dodge all the bullets you shoot at them.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:06 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demisis_P2P View Post
So because some people have a disadvantage in some other games you're going to completely change the game mechanics so that they have a disadvantage in this game too? Perfect logic.
Look, I understand this affects you, but you're not making any sense in your logic. Someone is always going to be at a disadvantage with lag, as you've stated, so why should it be the person with low latency?

It seems to me to be better to be at a disadvantage than to be completely unable to play. It might be possible also to use serverside projectiles only for players with high latency.