Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-21-2007, 05:56 AM
Banned
oinknessx is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to oinknessx
Question Music on Graal

Hey hey, a few things I wanted to talk about.

First off, we all know copyrighted music isn't allowed on Graal. But covers of songs people do on their own are not allowed on Graal either, want to know why? Not because it's a copyrighted song, but because if you include a cover of a song in a product that is SOLD (like Graal) then you have to pay royalties to the band who wrote the song to begin with. If Graal was free like back in the old days, covers would be allowed. Sad to say we won't be hearing any Britney Spears covered by Graalians on Graal.

Secondly the Graal rules say that stuff uploaded on graal becomes the property of Graal, but what about music that is LICENSED for use on certain graal playerworlds, like Bjorn Lynne's stuff on Graal Kingdoms, and the stuff I'm doing for Mythic Legends? Of course they paid for Bjorn's stuff to license it but I'm doing music for Mythic Legends for free, would that be considered licensed music or stuff owned by Graal? Because I'm writing some pretty nice stuff that I might like to put on a CD someday but I don't want the possible lawsuit in the future or something saying that the songs are owned by Graal. o_o Should I be worried or anything, or is it no big deal?

And lastly I'm kinda interested to hear the "law" behind playing music off of an URL on Graal. Technically the music files aren't ON graal so the hosts of the URLs that hold the MP3s probably have no idea about Graal, they probably just think individual people are streaming the songs. I'm basically just wondering, like, what's the statute behind that whole movement?

Just some stuff that's been growing in my brain. o_o
Just curious more on an uneasy side more than egotistical at all.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:16 AM
That guy with a beard
PrinceOfKenshin has a spectacular aura about
Would it make better i covered your favorite songs im a really talented singer

Quote:
Game Master (Server): Greetings PrinceOfKenshin, there are new posts on the forums that demand your urgent attention! God speed, the fate of the world is in your hands. If you fail, middle earth will forever be in the darkness and your children will be enslaved by McKain.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:28 AM
That guy with a beard
PrinceOfKenshin has a spectacular aura about
I am not kidding...I will, it would be fun. pm if you are interested. Or look at my contacts in my sig

Quote:
Game Master (Server): Greetings PrinceOfKenshin, there are new posts on the forums that demand your urgent attention! God speed, the fate of the world is in your hands. If you fail, middle earth will forever be in the darkness and your children will be enslaved by McKain.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:05 AM
Deadly_Killer is on a distinguished road
Streaming music is allowed, but the hosted music is most likely illegal -- though no action will be done (likely)
Old 05-22-2007, 04:17 AM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
What you need is a Nonexclusive Irrevocable Copyright. Meaning Graal can use your music all you want, but it's Not Exclusive to Graal, meaning you can use it all you want too.

Sadly, we seem to be the only ones that think that should be explicitly stated, and so Graal digs itself one foot deeper.

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 05-22-2007, 11:55 AM
That one guy...
zokemon is a jewel in the roughzokemon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to zokemon Send a message via AIM to zokemon Send a message via MSN to zokemon Send a message via Yahoo to zokemon
Because when you are streaming music from another server (like a website) you aren't actually using the Graal servers at all, you just use a music client (in this case, Graal4.exe) much like iTunes, WinAmp or Windows Media Player. You think those programs have to pay royalties when they stream music from a site?

And second: Yes, I'm pretty sure you won't be able to ever use the stuff you use on Graal anywhere else. Ideas are a immaterail and are hard to make lawsuits over but actual files such as songs, scripts and images are very obvious. If you plan on using Graal as a stepstone for "things better" I suggest you just use ideas you wish the develop; as the the material things: just make stuff you are content keeping on Graal. You could ask Unixmad if you could "loan" the files but in such a case, I doubt those files would be allowed on a non-monitored playerworld (any non-gold server).
Old 05-22-2007, 02:51 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Graal won't allow music to be uploaded period because it may be copyrighted. I think that was the whole problem at first.

Also you're allowed to stream it (the URL thing in your audio options) because its coming from a foreign site not one of Graal's.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerami View Post
Graal won't allow music to be uploaded period because it may be copyrighted. I think that was the whole problem at first.

Also you're allowed to stream it (the URL thing in your audio options) because its coming from a foreign site not one of Graal's.
We are allowed to upload music by Oinkness on Mythic.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 05-22-2007, 03:24 PM
I am X-Mann
WHIPENIE4 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to WHIPENIE4 Send a message via AIM to WHIPENIE4
title shoulda been
LAG ON GRAAL

muha. i get bored

- X-Mann (Blessing Graal since 1998) Haha

- Graal 2000 Project (Contact Me to get Apart of this expierience

Windows Vista. Graal. Not a Good Combination.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
I already said that the main problem is that we don't want to get problems because some playerworld staff upload copyrighted music and say that they made it themself. Also we don't want that another game is copying half of the graphics music from some popular Graal playerworld. Websites like MySpace have quite restrictive rules about such thing (everything you put on your site becomes myspace property etc.), so I don't think that we go too far with our user agreement things.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:11 PM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
...is your point that "Nobody uploads copyrighted music to their MySpace page"? Or that "All the music uploaded on MySpace belongs to MySpace, and nobody else can use it"? Or perhaps that "Everyone on MySpace goes to the trouble of writing music themselves to put on their MySpace page, secure in the knowledge MySpace won't steal it"?

As an analogy, it lacks punch.

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 05-25-2007, 04:28 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Websites like MySpace have quite restrictive rules about such thing (everything you put on your site becomes myspace property etc.), so I don't think that we go too far with our user agreement things.
No it doesn't
Old 05-25-2007, 04:52 AM
Inferno (Level Designer)
Infernix is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Infernix
I think he means it become myspace's responsibility for copyright. Myspace does not own squat anyone puts on the site. Kind of defeats the purpose of "my"space.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:32 AM
Banned
oinknessx is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to oinknessx
If I thought MySpace owned my music, I would never upload it on there. I still hold the "copyright" to the songs that my bands have put up there, and whatever individual tracks I put up on my personal space. All they really do is say that you have to own the copyright to upload your song, if you upload it then you agree to that term... if they get a complaint, they'll delete your account. Graal should have something like that where they allow it to be put on there but they don't claim ownership of people's music!

I'm not saying you should delete people's accounts though. There are other more reasonable punishments. People pay a lot of money for their accounts.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:47 AM
Script-fu
Skyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Skyld
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinknessx View Post
If I thought MySpace owned my music, I would never upload it on there. I still hold the "copyright" to the songs that my bands have put up there, and whatever individual tracks I put up on my personal space.
Yeah, it seems like you are totally responsible for any content that you upload to Myspace. Their terms specifically outline that they do not claim the rights over user-submitted files (including texts, images, pictures, videos, sounds, etc).
Quote:
6. 4. MySpace.com ne réclame aucun droit de propriété concernant les textes, fichiers, images, photos, fichiers vidéo, sons, oeuvres musicales, oeuvres de l'esprit ou tout autre élément (désignés collectivement par le terme "Contenu") que vous publiez via les Services MySpace.