Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Keep Offline Scripting?
Yes, keep offline scripting 29 87.88%
No, do away with it 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2003, 05:59 PM
Graalian since 1998
osrs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to osrs Send a message via AIM to osrs Send a message via MSN to osrs Send a message via Yahoo to osrs
Stupid idead of get rid of offline scripting, but well, this wouldn't be a problem as long as a style & test button were added to NC.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:38 PM
The Great Nappa
Nappa is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Nappa
Get rid of it. It's no use. They are adding the test button and style button onto the RC editor, so noone should have to complain. Only problem with this, though, is that noone knew will be able to script unless servers want to hire apprentice scripters, to learn from their current scripters and pass on the trade. I am totally against putting the RC into the client, though.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:42 PM
Gone
zell12 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to zell12 Send a message via AIM to zell12 Send a message via MSN to zell12
What about servers that have no need for server side scripts. They don't want to hire newbies to learn, so HOW will they?
Old 12-18-2003, 06:46 PM
The Great Nappa
Nappa is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Nappa
Quote:
Originally posted by zell12
What about servers that have no need for server side scripts. They don't want to hire newbies to learn, so HOW will they?
They will still have to use apprentice scripters. The only difference is it will go alot quicker, with the small amount you can possibly do on the clientside.

If they don't want to hire newbies to learn, then they should just go hire someone who already knows what they are doing. Of course, anyone with common sense wouldn't join a server without an npc server(no offence to classic, I just think its obsurd.)
Old 12-18-2003, 08:02 PM
:]
Thak2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Thak2
Ugh, Graal used to be all about making stuff for it. When I, and many other people first learned about being able to make your own levels, I jumped, and realized that this game is awesome. Making stuff rocks.

But now, newbies won't even have that chance? Someone new to the game wanting to make levels will have to buy their own playerworld? Because certainly no one will hire them. Dumb.

Offline editor is useful, in a tonne of ways. Not everyone has highspeed internet, and can remain connected to the internet for forever, some dialup users like to make levels when the phoneline is busy.

And, what is so terrible about offline scripting? I do all my scripting offline, and it works fine online. Hell, a lot of people will never learn how to script now, without the curiousity driven npc tinkering offline.

Why is this even being added in the first place? For efficiency sakes? It is good how it is now.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:19 PM
Gone
Send a message via ICQ to zell12 Send a message via AIM to zell12 Send a message via MSN to zell12
I agree with Thak. This idea is wacked. Why. Why is it comming to this. Graal used to be fun, now it is moving from "classic" to "GK."
Old 12-18-2003, 10:11 PM
Banned
Kigan is on a distinguished road
I think that there should be a seperate Graal Development Environment that has a server emulator to run NPC scrips etc. So you can develop offline. I've always thought it was kind of dumb to have the editor intergrated into the client.

But from Graal's standpoint, they're getting $100 a year for people who want to develop playerworlds. The $100 isn't really for hosting the playerworld, because they still have Playerworld Reviewers (which is very dumb, if people pay, let them put **** up, even if it's crap, it wont look bad for Graal, just the idiots who run those servers, that's why they're called "playerworlds").

Think of the $100 more like a Developer Fee. Like Nintendo will charge you to make Game Cube games. The difference here is that there is nothing for the developer to profit from. So it seems kind of ridiclious.

The fun thing about Graal has always been that players can get so involved. Making levels, adding to the world themselvs.

No offence, but I think Graal Kingdoms isn't fun at all. I only got Gold and VIP subscription to send Stefan a little more cash because I enjoy Graal. Then again, I thought Bomby Moon was stupid too. If I wanted to spend hours working to get money, I'd work, not play a game of... working?

Graal has always been about comunity. Unfortinately, like any comunity, as it gets bigger, more popular, it gets more fragile, it's eaiser to be friends and have a comunity with 20 people than 1,000 people.

As for Graal 3D, it won't work. Not unless Stefan hires some real good developers from somewhere like 3D Realms. Graal simply won't compeate with other 3D engines out there, and won't be able to catch up without a miricle. My suspicion is that Graal 3D will also be the end of player-created-levels and modles which will make Graal even less fun.

Here's a sugustion. Take Graal Classic, and make it a seperate client. Make 3D a seperate client. Improve the managment of Graal's playeworld system and you've got a good income base to take work on stuff like Graal 3D seriouslly.

End of Rant
Old 12-18-2003, 10:37 PM
dot dot dot
Blitz_Hunter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Blitz_Hunter
Red face

So..How are we going to make levels and such if the editor is being removed..I dont like it.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:02 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Once again I'll say it, Graal is changing and it's just not going to be the same Graal we know. They're trying to change in a lot of ways. Like Thak said, Graal is all about making stuff. When I first found the level editor I was pissed in my pants (im joking).

Then again, just wait until they launch this whole new "online omgfgleet levelz editorplz". When they see development on servers are going.."bad" and things are just not working out like before, they are bound to make some changes. Then again, it can't possible get that bad >_>;

This happens with a lot of games anyway, first it's all for fun, then it starts to grow, it becomes a job, they charge money, things begin to change just for the money, you start to lose the strong community from the rapid increase in players, game starts to change again, some people are un-happy, everything goes boom. (i dont think the last part will apply to graal though) XD
Old 12-18-2003, 11:55 PM
Com013 is on a distinguished road
a) keep Classic out of the discussion, in January we have an NPC Server. Yes, this is a deadline.

b) What drew me mainly to playing Graal in October/November 2001 was the level editor, I liked most games that include decent level editors so I liked Graal a lot. Even more when I found out what scripting possibilities there are. I made a lot of scripts before I ever connected to one server, I guess even before I ever saw the GraalOnline homepage (I downloaded it from a freeware site).
In other words, without the level editor I probably wouldn't be here.

I think it would be possible to add a level editor to Classic and other servers so players can tile their own level in a safe enviroment, but I fear it wouldn't be like an offline editor since they could only edit when they go into a certain house that has the editor inside and of course they have to be connected to do that.
Scripts wouldn't be possible at all, since that would ge abused.
I guess Stefan would make a server where every player can upload levels/scripts in a safe way, but I fear you would need to pay to use that server and as I told you, I for example only went online because I saw the level editor, not the other way round.

My advise is to make a small server that you could only locally connect to. Maybe it could be done through a button "Local Play" in the main menu of your client that starts the mini-server and connects you to it.
On the local mini server you would have the same tools as the playerworlds like the RC (maybe downsized since there is only one player now) and the level editor.

e-mail: [email protected]
Old 12-18-2003, 11:56 PM
Gone
I think that if I have a choice between another MMORPG and Graal, i'd choose the other. Why? Better support from the Admins. It is already finished (the game). And many more things.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:17 AM
Former Classic Staff
jake13jake will become famous soon enough
hmm... how am i going to keep a downgraded version of graal..........
Old 12-19-2003, 02:26 AM
Scripter
ZeLpH_MyStiK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ZeLpH_MyStiK Send a message via Yahoo to ZeLpH_MyStiK
I think no matter what you guys say, they're gonna take away the offline editor. Seeing that they have already added a new command to the Remote Control's NC Commands. It's /style weapon/npc/class name. It's the same as the offline editor's style button, except I just tried it out, and it was as good as the one in the offline editor. I believe those are just bugs and that they will be fixed in the future.

P.S. Stefan if you are reading this, maybe you can add the commands.rtf, or anything to the side of the scripting window in the RC, cause it's just way too plain. By the way, the /style command is not green when you type in /help in the RC. Minor bug?
Old 12-19-2003, 02:33 AM
Scripter
ZeLpH_MyStiK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ZeLpH_MyStiK Send a message via Yahoo to ZeLpH_MyStiK
O.o sorry, forget that minor bug thing with the green text. It's just that there's no colon ( there. =)
Old 12-19-2003, 02:42 PM
Graalian since 1998
osrs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to osrs Send a message via AIM to osrs Send a message via MSN to osrs Send a message via Yahoo to osrs
A revolution will happen if the offline scripting be removed. v.v