Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
District 9 mockup/ideas

Well, a while ago I posted about a horror/zombie server. I still haven't even tried to do anything about it, as I'm not really interested in putting that much effort into Graal. Anyways, I have been coming up with ideas for the server nonetheless that I thought I'd share.

Because this isn't 3D, trying to give the right mood and setting is pretty hard. So I figure there would be a lighting-type implementation. It isn't actually lighting though, but actually the players perspective. Everything outside of the player's eyesight will be blackened(indoors). The actual physics involved in rendering the perspective will be the same as the player having a flashlight on their face. The difference between this being perspective and lighting effects is that other players will not have any effect on the blackness, so you won't see another player's 'lighting'. I've attached some mock-up's of what this would look like.

As far as what happened to create the whole setting... a nuclear disaster, yada yada... You start out in a bomb shelter. Because of the blast, the town will be completely wrecked, and will have something like a snow falling constantly. The radioactivity has mutated the DNA of those who it has killed bringing them back to life as zombies... but at the same time, also completely mutating humans and animals into completely different monsters. Anyways, you get the idea.

As for gameplay, it'll be a mix of many things. Inside, movement will be much like Metal Gear Solid games. You will be able to sneak around and press against walls to peak around the corner(moving your viewpoint around the corner, letting you see more) and such. Puzzles will be involved also, depending on the area and building you're in. You will be able to only hold one of each type of weaponry, as for the types they are as follows:
Melee weapon(knifes, bats, swords)
Light firearm(handguns,uzi's,bow)
Heavy firearm(machine guns,rocket launchers,crossbow)
Projectiles(anything you can throw, fruit, ninja stars,grenades)
So, if you have a knife and decide to pick up the bat, you have to switch them, leaving the knife behind. Things will differ between each weapon, such as available ammo. So even though a rocket launcher is awesome... I wouldn't think too fast about leaving your AK behind for it when the AK would probably be much easier to find ammo for. Also, weaponry will be nearly anything you'd think about to use as a weapon. Pipes, bats, anything 'detached' and that can be used more than once(exceptions are for projectiles. You could use things like CD's, bottles and such as long as you find more to supply yourself).
There is also a fear-factor. The more hideous a create you encounter, the more it will rise. Also, things like being frightened will make it shoot up. It will slowly lower(think of it as your heart rate, as I would say I'd use a electrocardiogram for this) back to normal. But... if it goes too high, you'll get an adrenaline rush. This will raise your melee weapon's strength, your speed, and other factors. While this helps you, once your adrenaline runs out you will be tired out for a while.

As for the purpose of the game, it's solely to survive. There is no 'beating' it. All you can do is simply roam around doing whatever you can. Explore abandoned buildings and perhaps find a nice weapon hidden in there, or some other rare item. Find underground hidden areas where you can fight against others(much like spars), find hidden shops. Everything will be hidden because just like you, other people(like shopowners), need to hide and survive. Inside buildings, gameplay will be a lot different. Gameplay indoors will be a lot different than outside. Indoors, it will be more sneaky, one on one/two/three. Also, the stronger monsters will most likely be found inside. The insides will be where most quest-like objectives will be found, mazes and such. Outdoor however, there will be lots of zombies and monsters, and it'll be more like a free-for-all match. Just run and gun.

Anyways, things are sketchy, and I don't think I'll ever do anything with this as the perspective along would be most likely impossible to script. I'll post any ideas I have in this thread. Well, here are some mock-ups(sorry, no GUI's or sprites yet... I may add them later). First and second is just the perspective walking down the hallway, the third is what it'd look like peeking around a corner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	district9mockup1.PNG
Views:	187
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	42364   Click image for larger version

Name:	district9mockup2.PNG
Views:	164
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	42365   Click image for larger version

Name:	district9mockup3.PNG
Views:	172
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	42366  
Old 08-08-2007, 12:21 AM
Rgesitreed Uesr
Pimmeh has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Pimmeh Send a message via MSN to Pimmeh
Save this for 3D playerworlds...really
Old 08-08-2007, 12:24 AM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Rofl, if and when they ever come out. Also, prices will probably be high. I doubt 3D production will ever be as much as Graal2D's is.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:32 AM
Rgesitreed Uesr
Pimmeh has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Pimmeh Send a message via MSN to Pimmeh
Thats true...but if you make it offline stefan might buy it from you
Old 08-08-2007, 12:45 AM
I don't have the computer to work with any 3D, and I'd hate not to be able to play my own idea

Anyways, if what I want for this server is actually possible, I might actually attempt to create it. Though it'd take a lot of resource(lots of graphics, and really good scripters) to make it happen. It is really something I'd love to see happen.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:34 AM
jwd
Codein has a spectacular aura aboutCodein has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Codein Send a message via MSN to Codein
I say again, the Chzo Mythos series would be an excellent area to draw inspiration from. The serious proves, even with low quality graphics and .midi for music, games can be great and seriously f*****g scary.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:41 AM
This is exactly what I'm going to try to do(well... if I ever attempt it). That's what my perspective system is meant for, adding a sense of mystery. Not knowing what's behind you, around the corner(I might remove the peeking around corners), behind the pillar right in front of you. If I tried to make a horror server without the perspective thing, it just wouldn't be the same, so I wouldn't even attempt it without it.
At first I wasn't even going to give it a second thought, but after thinking up the perspective thing, I don't think it's a bad alternative.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:12 AM
Graal 3D
UberModeKappa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to UberModeKappa
Nox had a similar perspective where shadows were cast around corners.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Ex-Graal Global
Spark910 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Rofl, if and when they ever come out. Also, prices will probably be high. I doubt 3D production will ever be as much as Graal2D's is.
Pretty sure they will. The technology wont be used much otherwise.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:33 PM
jwd
Dusty, will there be any options for being able to play as these disgusting mutations you describe? That'd be pretty cool.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:41 PM
I was thinking about letting yourself get 'infected' but I have no clue how I'd incorporate that into the gameplay.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:56 PM
jwd
Are the zombies going to be slow like typical zombie horror films or fast like '28 Days Later'?
Old 08-08-2007, 07:14 PM
It depends. Since there are going to be different mutations, there can be slow and fast zombies. It'll be completely dependent on the area you're in. If you're in a difficult building, the zombies will most likely be faster, but if you're in an easy, beginning part of the game, they'll most likely be slow.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:39 PM
jwd
Ah, I see. Well, I'm extremely fond of the idea in all cases
Old 08-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Quick health GUI mock-up. Please ignore the ugly face graphics, I put all the work into the skull then got tired of pixeling by the time I got to doing the face. It fades into a skull depending on your health(I'll probably include a bar under it for accuracy).
Attached Images