Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-13-2007, 03:11 AM
Varia Developer
Angel_Light is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Angel_Light Send a message via MSN to Angel_Light
perspective, yeah 3D games arn't true 3d but the with the graal Camera currently you only have an aerial view. With traditional 3d games you can change the camera positions giving the effect of 3d. Simply, you can't change Graal's camera position so therefore we always have an aerial view. if we could we would be able to use you method simply.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:27 AM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Heres what happened to mine when I did it using 3 dimensions.
PHP Code:
  with (findimg(200)) {

layer 4;

dimension 3;

polygon = {

50+100500,

800-100500,

};

image "map.png";

mode 0;

alpha 1;

red 1;

green 1;

blue 1
Graal is not placing the image on the polygon correctly. Perhaps using a simpler rendering algorithm for the image so it doesn't take lots of processing time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	polygon.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	42411  
Old 08-13-2007, 03:31 AM
Varia Developer
Angel_Light is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Angel_Light Send a message via MSN to Angel_Light
with making any 2d image and tilting it, there is always going to be distortion. Example : a flat map of the Earth no matter what type it has distortions. you can't make a 3d img 2d and vice versa
Old 08-13-2007, 03:34 AM
Incubator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel_Light View Post
with making any 2d image and tilting it, there is always going to be distortion. Example : a flat map of the Earth no matter what type it has distortions. you can't make a 3d img 2d and vice versa
Uh, duh? We're talking about using a 2 dimension versus 3 dimensional polygon to get the same effect.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:42 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Well, you did exactly what I did in mines in your new post. You altered the horizontal aspect manually. What I was saying is specifying a z did not 'tilt' the polygon, only change it's vertical position. Z in Graal is more like another Y axis, it doesn't really add any depth. You can achieve the same thing without ever using Z.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Incubator
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Well, you did exactly what I did in mines in your new post. You altered the horizontal aspect manually. What I was saying is specifying a z did not 'tilt' the polygon, only change it's vertical position. Z in Graal is more like another Y axis, it doesn't really add any depth. You can achieve the same thing without ever using Z.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Each vertex on the polygon can have its own z variable, so if I increase the z of the bottom two vertexes its going to damn well tilt the polygon.

Which one of us has been scripting longer? You're starting to irritate me.

Heres the examples:
1st Picture: Square Polygon w/ all vertices z=0
PHP Code:
  polygon = {

50+0500,

800-0500,

}; 
2nd Picture: Square Polygon w/ bottom vertices z=300
PHP Code:
  polygon = {

50+0500,

800-0500,

}; 
3rd Picture: Trapezoidal Polygon w/ all vertices z=0
PHP Code:
  polygon = {

50+100500,

800-100500,

}; 
4th Picture: Trapezoidal Polygon w/ bottom vertices z=300
PHP Code:
  polygon = {

50+100500,

800-100500,

}; 
You're obviously not understanding the fact that the image's Z as a whole is separate from the Z of each vertex. The image's Z as a whole wouldn't even apply in this case since its a polygon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	polygon1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	42416   Click image for larger version

Name:	polygon2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	42417   Click image for larger version

Name:	polygon3.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	42418   Click image for larger version

Name:	polygon4.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	42419  

Last edited by Inverness; 08-13-2007 at 04:05 PM..
Old 08-13-2007, 04:53 PM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Applying a Z to each vertex does not 'tilt' it in the sense that it gives it perspective. You're giving it perspective by modifying the x of each vertex. Your very first script, which I mentioned about the z thing, did not change the x values accordingly, so all it appeared as was a crushed image. You have to apply your own 'tilt perspective' via stretching the width of the image yourself, changing the z will not do that. Which was my original point.
Either way, I did the same exact thing you did, without ever using a z dimension. Like I said in my first post, the z-axis in Graal is nothing more than an additional y-axis. It doesn't add another dimension, just another way to change the position on the y-axis. If you take one polygon and make it 100x100px, then take another polygon and it make it 100x150x50, it will look the same. This all started with your original script which did not replicate my screenshot, which was the whole point in me correcting it.
And I don't know what the hell who's been scripting longer has anything to do with it, and why you're getting irritated.

Last edited by DustyPorViva; 08-13-2007 at 05:04 PM..
Old 08-13-2007, 05:00 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah Inver, you have to apply your own 'tilt perspective' via stretching the width of the image yourself, changing the z will not do that.

YES IM DOING IT FOR THE SAKE OF ARGUMENT, BRING IT > I B MASTR SCRIPTUR OF GRAAL
Old 08-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Incubator
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
<snip>
When you put it like that, yea you're right. I thought you were implying that the same effect couldn't be done with 3rd dimension.

By the way, my original script was not supposed to replicate your screenshot at all.

Hm, I think I'll make a function to calculate depth without manually adjusting the x.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerami
Yeah Inver, you have to apply your own 'tilt perspective' via stretching the width of the image yourself, changing the z will not do that.

YES IM DOING IT FOR THE SAKE OF ARGUMENT, BRING IT > I B MASTR SCRIPTUR OF GRAAL
Old 08-13-2007, 05:32 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
Old 08-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
Hmmm can eventually check if the perspective can be corrected when drawing the polygon.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:09 PM
:o that would be great!
Old 08-14-2007, 09:28 AM
Rgesitreed Uesr
Pimmeh has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Pimmeh Send a message via MSN to Pimmeh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerami View Post
Old 08-22-2007, 10:47 PM
The Shiznic
Tyrial is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimmeh View Post
wai.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:14 AM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk