Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-18-2010, 06:46 AM
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
I welcome our new immigrants!

Especially because chances are very slim that I'll see them on GK.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Rgesitreed Uesr
Pimmeh has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Pimmeh Send a message via MSN to Pimmeh
Quote:
Originally Posted by kia345 View Post
I welcome our new immigrants!

Especially because chances are very slim that I'll see them on GK.
Why would you not want more people on GK?
Old 04-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
I'm surprised "become a GP" hasn't been made a pay-for-perk yet, it would be effortless and probably rake in the dough, and that's the important thing right?
Plus you could hardly do worse than hiring a handful of people who are either at the age of 12 or under (not just being derogatory here) or have been jailed for cheating/hacking numerous times previously.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Rgesitreed Uesr
Pimmeh has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Pimmeh Send a message via MSN to Pimmeh
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
I'm surprised "become a GP" hasn't been made a pay-for-perk yet, it would be effortless and probably rake in the dough, and that's the important thing right?
Plus you could hardly do worse than hiring a handful of people who are either at the age of 12 or under (not just being derogatory here) or have been jailed for cheating/hacking numerous times previously.
Yeah, do you really want hackers or people who (verbally) abuse to represent your game? Oh, I totally would...
Old 04-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
If Graal for PC could change its pricing plan, there could be a lot more new people retained from the iPhone server.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Rjax Shizibz
Dnegel will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
If Graal for PC could change its pricing plan, there could be a lot more new people retained from the iPhone server.
Yes.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:19 AM
Gov'nah
Zeltino will become famous soon enough
We have players interested in becoming GP's fill out an Application. Then we sift through to find good Applicants, just like every other server does. We like to hire from the server itself because those players know the community, the server, the players, etc. more-so than PC players who haven't been on the game.

The people we have hired so far have been great GP's. You don't need to have PC Experience to be able to hold a GP position.

NewYorkerNick is a GP for iPhone. He doesn't seem like your stereotype. You pick and poke a lot, Thor. Stop trying to start crap.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:52 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeltino View Post
We have players interested in becoming GP's fill out an Application. Then we sift through to find good Applicants, just like every other server does. We like to hire from the server itself because those players know the community, the server, the players, etc. more-so than PC players who haven't been on the game.

The people we have hired so far have been great GP's. You don't need to have PC Experience to be able to hold a GP position.

NewYorkerNick is a GP for iPhone. He doesn't seem like your stereotype. You pick and poke a lot, Thor. Stop trying to start crap.
I'm not saying all of the GPs iPhone has are bad, i'm not even arguing over the whole Iphone Player > PC Player > Iphone GP issue, but from what i've heard there a couple GPs who have previously cheated on the server, and there being an instance of corruption or 2 in a fairly short amount of time, and I still see iPhone as a server intended to wheel in some quick cash rather than as a project intended to be well worth playing.

I am however glad that Xor chooses to hire from the servers own community, just a shame really that a similar approach wasn't taken towards designing the server, it having ended up as largely a mixture of just about every server rather than either as per the original or new.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:16 AM
aka NewYorkerNick
NewYorkerNicole will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to NewYorkerNicole
Well said Zeltino. If I may add my two cents without sounding like I know more than anyone on these forums do:

With a 900 player average there are bound to be more hackers/cheaters if you will. And since the IPhone server has generally a lot less stuff to do there's more of a need for imagination vs PC servers who have events, npcs and (small) quests. People get bored. I believe this reimagination of Classic was initially meant to be a chat mmo, and Less of a game. Due to the overwhelming growth that happened after Christmas I've noticed a slow transition into a more familiar Graal. I guess it was inevitable.

Due to the low price and the parents who buy their kids iPods and iPhones for Christmas/Birthdays (whatever happened to racecars?), yeah, young people have easier access to it. Does it bother me? Well sometimes... I'm an 80's born and naturally it was difficult to find people I could relate with but you'd be suprised how much of a diversity there really is on there.

I guess we all may have our underlying biases and envys since it's only natural to proclaim what server "is da best server". But if we could all look at this with the glass half full for a minute... We just brought in a new generation of people and a new generation of creativity coming forward.

I can't say too much about the GP process since I'm sort of a new hire but it's not like they hired scripters from iPhone server. That might have been a different situation. The GPs who were already on since December were available to us and left a good impression for us to reflect off of. Just as anyone on pc has seen a GP do what they do (warping, jailing, answering feedback, helping others in general), an iPhone player can catch on pretty fast.

I'd say more but... I'm typing this from my iPod

Last edited by NewYorkerNicole; 04-24-2010 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: Beans.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:01 AM
N-Pulse Assistant Manager
coreys has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to coreys Send a message via MSN to coreys Send a message via Yahoo to coreys
Good luck hacking an iPhone game. You don't exactly have the same tools available to you. lol

Quote:
*SlikRick: so should I even ask about your aim status?
*Xor: well if you want to
*Xor: but i am LARPING
*SlikRick: While on a computer?
*Xor: yes
*Xor: in my living room
*SlikRick: ahh
*Xor: i have a fort setup to hide from beasts
Old 04-24-2010, 07:46 PM
aka NewYorkerNick
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreys View Post
Good luck hacking an iPhone game. You don't exactly have the same tools available to you. lol
Yeah, you have different ones. You'd be surprised on what can be done.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkerNicole View Post
Yeah, you have different ones. You'd be surprised on what can be done.
As far as I know, current iPhone's can't multitask... how can anyone hack the game when they can't even run a different application without Graal closing? Most they can do is mess with the app file. This may be a different story with iPhone firmware 4.0.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:35 PM
aka NewYorkerNick
I guess it depends on your definition of "hack". In the IPhone context a small hack would be editing music/graphics customized to your iPod and bigger hacks would include walking through walls, invincibility, scripting restricted abilities that only admins can access (sword spin is not enabled for iPod players but a few have hacked into the game and figured it out).

Small fish. But still enough to bother other players in forts, spars, an posing as an admin to trick people about releases. Seems harmless but keep in mind 1000 players online at a time.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Banned
12171217 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
As far as I know, current iPhone's can't multitask... how can anyone hack the game when they can't even run a different application without Graal closing? Most they can do is mess with the app file. This may be a different story with iPhone firmware 4.0.
The iPhone can multitask.

And you're also forgetting that you can modify packets as they come in through a proxy. (i.e, drop all "sword" gani packets, player is now invincible.)

EDIT:
To elaborate on the iPhone's multitasking, it's only officially supported by the "Music" and "Safari" apps that are bundled with the phone, one being the interface to play MP3's with and the other being the browser, but if you jailbreak your phone, there's a plugin available for download called "Backgrounder" that lets you run any program in the background. I've used it to listen to the Pandora radio app while browsing.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:48 AM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12171217 View Post
To elaborate on the iPhone's multitasking, it's only officially supported by the "Music" and "Safari" apps that are bundled with the phone, one being the interface to play MP3's with and the other being the browser, but if you jailbreak your phone, there's a plugin available for download called "Backgrounder" that lets you run any program in the background. I've used it to listen to the Pandora radio app while browsing.
Same here, I use it too when I need to do something else like changing the artist I'm listening to while using Colloquy (IRC) or to perform any other action.