Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2006, 01:52 AM
Old Graal Supporter
z4nz0k3n is on a distinguished road
I really do miss old classic. I don't understand really the technical aspects of the NPC server or how clientside acts now, but apparently it's not an easy matter of just switching a few vars around.

Nobody is really expecting Classic to be transformed into the server it should be in a day or even a month. However, so few ppl are actually working on it and updates take forever. That in no way justifies that it should be removed, however. Classic is an official Graal server and shouldn't be done away with despite its current position. I personally can't wait until the day everything *is* brought back up, and that will most likely be the day I upgrade and bring more friends here. =P

As for "stickying" Classic to the top of the serverlist, that's a fairly simple thing to do, all you need to do is have a separate folder between Gold and Playerworlds and name it Classic. Then click on the server named Classic. (Graal > Classic > Classic) I think that's a good idea.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:40 AM
Banned
Devil has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to Devil Send a message via MSN to Devil
Give them time, they will see the waste of space it currently is and remove it.

Keeping classic alive is like pushing **** up hill.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:23 AM
Former Classic Staff
jake13jake will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil View Post
Give them time, they will see the waste of space it currently is and remove it.

Keeping classic alive is like pushing **** up hill.
Actually, it's more so a problem of getting the player base involved in development like it used to be. I'm making horses, and I ask players if they could make a spyfire gani since I don't have anyone I can ask on staff to make it, and not one submission yet.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:31 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake13jake View Post
Actually, it's more so a problem of getting the player base involved in development like it used to be. I'm making horses, and I ask players if they could make a spyfire gani since I don't have anyone I can ask on staff to make it, and not one submission yet.
What's a "Spyfire"?
Old 12-07-2006, 06:35 AM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
Spyfire=the partial-explosion used for horses-breathing-fire.

But if you have an explosion gani, it's kinda trivial.

And if you don't, then you don't have the bombs for them to eat in the first place.

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 12-07-2006, 11:18 AM
Banned
Devil has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to Devil Send a message via MSN to Devil
Quote:
You're supposed to be semi-smart yes?

Get the point, no one wants to help because they know their submission is a waste of time and know it won't bring in players. It's dead, let's move on hey?
Old 12-07-2006, 01:54 PM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyhm View Post
and Playerworlds Can't Give Passwords, so newbies can play Classic without the "Mask of Majora" syndrome - "Every time I go there, it's the same day! I have to redo the [by now] stupid Push The Block quest, then I have to redo the [by now] lame Save The Castle quest..." - instead they just get frustrated at having to remember a 20-character password on a nag-screen: "Just $20 to buy the game and upgrade forever, you'll never have to deal with another one of these Password Saves!" - but people will suffer through such things to play a Free Game, they're used to it.
Era has a password system, but it's basically just for staff and players who want the extra security of another password (or who feel that their account might be compromised). As soon as you log on the coloreffect of the level is set to black, no items can be dropped and you can't move until you enter the password. The passwords are encoded and stored in the players strings, but it probably wouldn't be hard to create something similar that stores all the players strings in a text file and then re-sets them from the textfile to their strings when they log back on and enter the password. It wouldn't be legal to do that though :P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	password.png
Views:	198
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	38820  
Old 12-07-2006, 06:34 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demisis_P2P View Post
Post.
Maybe something like this:

A trial account logs on, and starts playing. When they beat the first quest, they are given a (unique?) password, which the player would input the next time they logged on. In doing so, their account is restored to the last quest they beat (item and heart wise only, deaths/kills/etc wouldn't be saved to keep the incentive to upgrade).

The passwords could be preset on the server, saved in a server string, and then could be combined with a piece of personal (to the computer) information to prevent password sharing (maybe combining the PC ID into the password in some manner?).

Just borrowing ideas from other games.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Former Classic Staff
jake13jake will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
Maybe something like this:

A trial account logs on, and starts playing. When they beat the first quest, they are given a (unique?) password, which the player would input the next time they logged on. In doing so, their account is restored to the last quest they beat (item and heart wise only, deaths/kills/etc wouldn't be saved to keep the incentive to upgrade).

The passwords could be preset on the server, saved in a server string, and then could be combined with a piece of personal (to the computer) information to prevent password sharing (maybe combining the PC ID into the password in some manner?).

Just borrowing ideas from other games.
Remember when UN did that? Stefan and Unixmad won't go for it.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:22 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I don't remember anything UN does because I don't really care about it.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:52 AM
Psionic Youth
Quote:
And I think it's high time that regulation was rethought. It was important at the dawn of P2P that no servers have exceptions - because enough people were still hanging around the proverbial parking lot complaining about how they had to pay, it would have caught on like wildfire, hacks would come out - it woulda been messy.

Now the parking lot's empty. So now we can start letting in a few people who didn't pay for a few minutes.

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck

Old 12-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
What happened to guest accounts, which were supposed to be the future of the game and have plenty of convincing power for consumers to upgrade accounts?
Old 12-09-2006, 09:03 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Guest accounts = bad idea in my opinion but whatever.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Psionic Youth
Scrapped, I think.
A Guest Account could either be pretty much the same as a Regular Account, in which case they never upgrade (and become a security risk), or pretty much the same as a Ghost Account, in which case why bother?

Thus, they should do passwords. Pretty much the same as a really annoying regular account.

Old 12-10-2006, 05:37 AM
Banned
p2p_Sir_Link is an unknown quantity at this point
I see nothing wrong with switching to guest accounts since they claimed their would be a time limit on playability. Simply offer the accounts something, allow them to save but stop progressing on servers at a certain point (I.E, on Kingdoms, don't allow them to level past 10). Give them an incentive, and if they choose to pay, let them keep the stuff they got while trials.