Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-05-2003, 06:14 AM
:o
Mykel has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Mykel Send a message via MSN to Mykel
Quote:
Originally posted by draygin
All the swamp tiles look like an attempt to hide poor detailing skills. Completely redo grass detailing design.

Water needs detailining.

Red tree's clash with level theme, colors shold blend not clash.

Waterfall is out of place. As previously stated as if it comes out of the ground itself. (looks bad)

Sand looks good nice firm grasp of how to do it. might consider trying the other border tiles for grass to sand. But it looks good.

Cliffs look good.

I dont like the path detailing it looks icky. Maybe trying a different tile placment or different tiles.

I think thats good for now until you get some of these things changed.

Rating: 4/10 Level subpar
OK, I will have him...err, I mean I'll edit it.
Old 07-05-2003, 06:40 AM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias
For the level in the first post, I don't like it. I'm not even looking at it aesthetically either. I'm talking about gameplay. The way you have tiled is absolutely awful for players to walk around on the level. I dislike the trees running down the middle, creating the illusion that it's easy to get from one side to the other, when it's quite difficult. Plus you're using those 1 tile dirt spots that are BLOCKING TILES. Meaning people will get stuck on them while trying to walk.

Levels shouldn't be so obtrusive. Make them easy to walk around on. Yes, I do think that this stuff counts in grading a level. What good is a level if you can't play on it? Sometimes you have to put looks aside and focus on how the level will play.

Put this image in your sig if you support Bomy Island! (g2k1 revision)
play bomberman while you wait!

Old 07-06-2003, 10:13 PM
Azrael528 is on a distinguished road
First Level: 6/10 Could use more raised ground and stuff, but the detail is ok. Your the path is kind of weird. The houses are cool, and those little blocking dirt tiles are a nono, just like mushrooms and rocks.

Second level: 5/10 Too much swamp, no water tiling. Ziggy zag your cliffs. If you get rid of some of the swamp and add actual detail itll be nice.

Quote:
Pickles your freakin' sister has been IMing me. Unless she's hot tell her to stop.
-ShadowStrike2k1
Old 07-07-2003, 09:00 AM
Eric_1337 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Eric_1337 Send a message via AIM to Eric_1337
Quote:
Originally posted by konidias
For the level in the first post, I don't like it. I'm not even looking at it aesthetically either. I'm talking about gameplay. The way you have tiled is absolutely awful for players to walk around on the level. I dislike the trees running down the middle, creating the illusion that it's easy to get from one side to the other, when it's quite difficult. Plus you're using those 1 tile dirt spots that are BLOCKING TILES. Meaning people will get stuck on them while trying to walk.

Levels shouldn't be so obtrusive. Make them easy to walk around on. Yes, I do think that this stuff counts in grading a level. What good is a level if you can't play on it? Sometimes you have to put looks aside and focus on how the level will play.

But we aren't grading the level on how you can walk through it and play it, we are grading it on the quality of the level. Positing one level doesn't need to have some sort of plot to walk around through, it may be added, but just because you can walk through it doesnt mean it makes it any better or worse.