Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Graphic Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Figured I'd post this. It's the swamp statue from pics1, though I've optimized it for my tilesets. The reason this is because the original is a whopping 47 colors. Ya, it's filled with gradients, so removing that bugger and replacing it with a more cleaner version will give you a lot more leeway... though I guess not too many customize pics1

Name:  untitled.PNG
Views: 1611
Size:  2.0 KB

Later I might just take pics1 and clean the hell out of, removing the most unused tiles(like the volcano tiles) so people can make more useful tilesets for their classic-type servers.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Rjax Shizibz
Dnegel will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
The reason this is because the original is a whopping 47 colors.
Found it out a few months ago actually when I was playing around with the Pics1 tileset, I started wondering why it had so many colors.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:32 AM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Well here it is, a clean pics1. Now, this isn't mean to be anything amazingly useful, but more of a base to start with.

See, right before 2k1(and the new Graal client) was released, pics1 got a major reworking. Along with it, lots of new graphics... things like the tree got a new uplift, new signs and so on... but also, a horrible standard in terms of efficiency. For example, the tree image itself uses a lot of colors when it shouldn't have. Also, a lot of circumstantial tiles were added that really were only useful to 2k1. Tons of tiles added just to tile corners of houses and trees that could have easily been fixed with images instead. Either way, pics1 ended up being bloated and full of crap, and even moreso, full of a bunch of ugly tiles no one ever uses.

So what I did was I took pics1 and cleaned out all the stuff you usually wouldn't use on an overworld. Not only does this clean up a lot of wasted colors(I got it from 256 to 210), but opens up a lot of space for you to add your own circumstantial tiles. I know when I make an overworld/server, I add tons of custom tiles to make the levels look nicer, fix a lot of tile errors, and to really open up a lot of possibilities. I suggest everyone else do the same whenever they start an overworld with pics1.

Really, that was a lot of talking just to say I removed a lot of **** from pics1... but it irks me at how poorly the tileset was handled. I may eventually compile all the custom tiles I make into this and post it again, but I dunno... problem is I am always coming up with new tiles and such, so every time I start a new overworld I end up with a different tileset completely(I always end up doing it from scratch).

Just remember, I removed a lot of tiles based on my personal opinion of the tileset, so you may see(or not see) tiles removed that you use, or see tiles that are not gone that you think should have been removed. It doesn't matter, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pics1_clean.png
Views:	1395
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	51181  

Last edited by DustyPorViva; 06-13-2010 at 01:58 AM..
Old 06-13-2010, 01:41 AM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
What's that thing showing on the top of the snow/dirt path tiles? Some stone ?
Old 06-13-2010, 01:45 AM
Oh, I forgot to fix that. That's actually an error in pics1 itself :P Like I said... very poorly planned tileset. I'll fix that now, as I had a few other things to fix as well.

edit: okay, fixed
Old 06-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Rjax Shizibz
This is pretty nice!

It looks as good as the old tileset, but uses less colors.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:46 PM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
Quote:
Well here it is, a clean pics1. Now, this isn't mean to be anything amazingly useful, but more of a base to start with.

See, right before 2k1(and the new Graal client) was released, pics1 got a major reworking. Along with it, lots of new graphics... things like the tree got a new uplift, new signs and so on... but also, a horrible standard in terms of efficiency. For example, the tree image itself uses a lot of colors when it shouldn't have. Also, a lot of circumstantial tiles were added that really were only useful to 2k1. Tons of tiles added just to tile corners of houses and trees that could have easily been fixed with images instead. Either way, pics1 ended up being bloated and full of crap, and even moreso, full of a bunch of ugly tiles no one ever uses.

So what I did was I took pics1 and cleaned out all the stuff you usually wouldn't use on an overworld. Not only does this clean up a lot of wasted colors(I got it from 256 to 210), but opens up a lot of space for you to add your own circumstantial tiles. I know when I make an overworld/server, I add tons of custom tiles to make the levels look nicer, fix a lot of tile errors, and to really open up a lot of possibilities. I suggest everyone else do the same whenever they start an overworld with pics1.

Really, that was a lot of talking just to say I removed a lot of **** from pics1... but it irks me at how poorly the tileset was handled. I may eventually compile all the custom tiles I make into this and post it again, but I dunno... problem is I am always coming up with new tiles and such, so every time I start a new overworld I end up with a different tileset completely(I always end up doing it from scratch).

Just remember, I removed a lot of tiles based on my personal opinion of the tileset, so you may see(or not see) tiles removed that you use, or see tiles that are not gone that you think should have been removed. It doesn't matter, though.
Would it be worth while to make a picso version of pics1?
I think part of the reason pics1 is such a mess is because everything is splattered all over the place (all the water, water/cliff tiles, etc).
Converting it to picso would mean you could group all related tiles together again neatly.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demisis_P2P View Post
Would it be worth while to make a picso version of pics1?
I think part of the reason pics1 is such a mess is because everything is splattered all over the place (all the water, water/cliff tiles, etc).
Converting it to picso would mean you could group all related tiles together again neatly.
I think I asked before and the reasoning was that not all of pics1 would fit into the other format.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDragon View Post
I think I asked before and the reasoning was that not all of pics1 would fit into the other format.
Didn't Stefan implement some dude's idea to make picso infinitely stretchable, as long as you increase it's length by a proportion of it's current length so that the tile type ratios could stay the same?

Or was that all just a dream I had? A fantastic Stefan-dream.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demisis_P2P View Post
Didn't Stefan implement some dude's idea to make picso infinitely stretchable, as long as you increase it's length by a proportion of it's current length so that the tile type ratios could stay the same?

Or was that all just a dream I had? A fantastic Stefan-dream.
Nope. He can't, as the hex that the NW format uses maxes out at the current tileset size.

And yes, the problem is the type 0 format(default) is made specifically with the pics1 tileset in mind... and pics1 has A LOT of blocking tiles. Type 1(not picso :P) was made to be more flexible... thus has a lot of non-blocking space. Because of this, you end up with a ton of wasted space for custom tiles and not so much room for all the many blocking tiles pics1 uses.

Either way, converting ends up being a pain in the ass because you end up with a new format... thus it's not easy to convert to it, many classic levelers will not be comfortable with the format, and you lose all the support of predefined tiles.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:31 PM
Kanto League Champion
Quote:
Nope. He can't, as the hex that the NW format uses maxes out at the current tileset size.

And yes, the problem is the type 0 format(default) is made specifically with the pics1 tileset in mind... and pics1 has A LOT of blocking tiles. Type 1(not picso :P) was made to be more flexible... thus has a lot of non-blocking space. Because of this, you end up with a ton of wasted space for custom tiles and not so much room for all the many blocking tiles pics1 uses.

Either way, converting ends up being a pain in the ass because you end up with a new format... thus it's not easy to convert to it, many classic levelers will not be comfortable with the format, and you lose all the support of predefined tiles.
Yeah. I went back and found the thread from 3 years ago and it was one of your threads :P
I posted in it on another account that I forgot I had until right now.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
I really wished to be not limited in terms of tileset size...

Old 06-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
I think anyone thats ever fought with pics1 has threatened to 'fix' it. Only Dusty has the patience to attempt it to even this state. My attempts usually ended with Excedrin headache #437.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Rjax Shizibz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
I really wished to be not limited in terms of tileset size...
This^
Old 08-04-2010, 01:23 AM
jedzed will become famous soon enough

an edit on dustys church wall, with added extras.. (made for houses, all tiles fixed)