Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-23-2006, 07:52 PM
Fox1545 is on a distinguished road
The purpose of the NPC Scripting Forum

People frequenting this forum probably know that I do not often create new threads, even more so as my status on Graal depends on Unixmad not noticing me mostly, but with the increasing hostility towards discussing new topics within the thread that they came up in, I think it is appropriate to create a whole thread for this issue.

It seems to me based on my casual observation that there is a discrepancy in the perceptions of this forum, of the forum regulars on the one hand and the newbie scripters and Stefan on the other hand. The first group wants, unsurprisingly, a forum to discuss scripting, much like a persistent and more popular version of everybody's favourite IRC channel. This includes showing off awesome scripts, discussing awesome features of the scripting engine, or perhaps making fun of unawesome ones, or even requesting more awesome ones, or teaching people how to script so they may contribute to the set of awesome scripts being shown off here. I have most often been able to find people willing to elaborate on their theories on how exactly some mysterious bonus features actually work or what the fastest way to concatenate two floating point numbers, backwards, is, and often I have been able to learn a new, fascinating detail about how a certain function that has been giving trouble to some scripter does not work.

Then there are the other dudes who think that this forum exists as a kind of storage unit for scripters, whose sole raison d'être (that's French) is to perpetually refresh the thread listing, eagerly awaiting an opportunity to post a sample from their infinite, absolutely complete database of premade scripts that will interface with just about any kind of hacked-together experience-levelup-classes system stolen from Valikorlia's second remake, especially the one that used putnpc to transfer state between recursive function calls.

The guys posting the previously described sort of threads, while not being inherently bad persons on a social level, who might have more friends, social life and contacts with the opposite gender of choice than all the people in the previous group combined, contribute nothing to this forum. The traditional argument against what I just said is obviously that it will teach them to be slightly more awesome scripters, which will, after a few iterations, make them awesome enough to switch to the first group and provide fun and entertainment for the whole gscript family and also exciting and amazing new gaming experiences to the dudes in the third, unmentioned group of people who just regard this forum where you do not go in order to avoid nerds. Yet I consider this extremely unlikely!

This is because most of these guys do not actually care about the scripting. They enter these forums with a `u giev' attitude and leave it with a `u sukc' mood because, obviously, you cannot create your own playerworlds with this method. Yeah, sure, the socially-minded people from the first groups might eventually give in and just post the script and the original poster might somehow manage to not break it while pasting it to his 1.39 gserver and someone will eventually have fun playing with it until the newly hired NAT person breaks it when they try to fix the formatting, but after all, no one learned anything from the whole experience and it just leads to a bunch of frustration for everybody, except perhaps the arrogant and mean people from the first groups who did not even bother reading the thread, and the other guys' playerworld did not really profit from it either.

So, you see, this kind of thread leads not where we want these forums to be. Sure, the liberal anti-moderation hippies now can argue that we should not tell the Graalians where they lead their forums to and that we should not pretend to know more about scripting than they do just because they do not know how to make their doors open when the player with the correct amount of bombs passes them slightly to the east, and I am not even going to argue with them because I am just here, with this thread, going to suggest that we create a whole forum for these guys, instead of pointing out that we do exactly that outside of this single forum and do not even have the pretense of knowing how to script to make people listen to us for no reason other than our retarded personal moral values.

Indeed I suggest that we create a Scripts Requests subforum. In this forum, and only in this forum, it will be permissible to Request A Script With A Specific Effect and to Post Whole Scripts That Somehow Do Not Do What You Wanted. This will make it easy for the dedicated individuals that gladly deal with these requets, instead of wasting their time teaching people how to script, to satisfy those requests with yet unexperienced efficiency, without having to deal with the nerds in the main scripting forum talking about why you should not using serverr. strings as loop counters for some retarded reason.

I also request that this forum is by default filtered out of the "Search for new posts" search mask because that is how I usually check if anything interesting happened.

Last edited by Fox1545; 01-23-2006 at 10:28 PM..
Old 01-23-2006, 08:35 PM
PipBoy Extraordinaire!
Rick is on a distinguished road
Hear hear.

+1 karma or fame or something of that sort!
Old 01-23-2006, 09:30 PM
RED SQUARE CLUB
Damix2 will become famous soon enough
ben++ rick++

Scriptingforum-- =/
Old 01-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Banned
Yen is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Yen Send a message via MSN to Yen
Wow. -Knocks on the wall o' words.-

It's one thing when people are asking for short, easy, 12-line scripts.
It's another when they're asking for scripts that require 200+ lines of code.

In most cases, it seems to be the latter.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:05 PM
one of the good guys
Prozac is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Prozac
I hear ya ...

Graal has three main places where npcs and community intersect:

graal.net - code snippet library - you can post and download scripts.
new rc - gs2 chat channel - you can post and download scripts.
npc scripting forums - against the rules to post scripts

Remember that song from Sesame Street?
"one of these things is not like the others, one of these things just dosen't belong"

I am all for the idea of a npc subforum for script requests and npc help.
And a more clear and precise definition of where the line is drawn between helping someone with npc code is allowed in small bits, or helping them too much will get your post deleted.
If such a definition of how much help is too much cannot be determined then throw out the old rule since it is only obstructive to helping the customers of Graal, leading to poor customer service and a bad business practice.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:02 AM
dark overlord
Lance is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozac
I hear ya ...
Did you read this paragraph?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben
This is because most of these [requesting] guys do not actually care about the scripting. They enter these forums with a `u giev' attitude and leave it with a `u sukc' mood because, obviously, you cannot create your own playerworlds with this method. Yeah, sure, the socially-minded people from the first groups might eventually give in and just post the script and the original poster might somehow manage to not break it while pasting it to his 1.39 gserver and someone will eventually have fun playing with it until the newly hired NAT person breaks it when they try to fix the formatting, but after all, no one learned anything from the whole experience and it just leads to a bunch of frustration for everybody, except perhaps the arrogant and mean people from the first groups who did not even bother reading the thread, and the other guys' playerworld did not really profit from it either.
Your comment would indicate that either you did not or that you just skimmed it.

Quote:
Graal has three main places where npcs and community intersect:

graal.net - code snippet library - you can post and download scripts.
new rc - gs2 chat channel - you can post and download scripts.
npc scripting forums - against the rules to post scripts
It isn't against the rules to post scripts period (it's even in the forum's description) and people do this pretty frequently. It is against the rules to post full scripts as solutions to people's problems instead of explaining to them what they're doing wrong. Did you actually bother reading the rules, or did you just skim those too?

Quote:
Remember that song from Sesame Street?
"one of these things is not like the others, one of these things just dosen't belong"
Mostly because it's a poor appraisal of reality?

Quote:
I am all for the idea of a npc subforum for script requests and npc help.
Ben said it best on #gscript:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben
[13:29:11] ben: So did Prozac actually just misunderstand my post and agree with my intentions anyway?
Quote:
And a more clear and precise definition of where the line is drawn between helping someone with npc code is allowed in small bits, or helping them too much will get your post deleted.
If such a definition of how much help is too much cannot be determined then throw out the old rule since it is only obstructive to helping the customers of Graal, leading to poor customer service and a bad business practice.
So, wait. Rules that by their nature depend on the context and as such cannot be so clearly defined as you'd like are obstructive and should be thrown out? Care to justify that claim? Should it be applied to the rest of the forum rules, like those about spam? (As a side note, did you miss that whole discussion?) Or, how about Graal's own license agreement, which talks about acceptable standards being defined by GraalOnline administrators? Should those go, too? If so, why?

The only "obstructive" thing is that "gimme" attitude that precludes learning.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:47 AM
one of the good guys

wow. you take me way too seriously.

I'm just going to go either work on my playerworld, or make a gs2 tutorial based on practical examples - sort of like the wiki, but more conductive to learning from a graal newcomer's standpoint.

no sense hanging around an area of the forums where i do not appear to be well liked. sorry for posting something that the mod decided to spend time demolishing any logic behind it to bits, ie. flaming me.

i gotta learn to stop giving you fodder.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:14 AM
dark overlord
Quote:

wow. you take me way too seriously.
Did you honestly expect otherwise, especially after suggesting that the rules are "obstructive to helping the customers of Graal, leading to poor customer service and a bad business practice"?

Quote:
I'm just going to go either work on my playerworld, or make a gs2 tutorial based on practical examples - sort of like the wiki, but more conductive to learning from a graal newcomer's standpoint.
So, you have no answer to my questions, then?

Quote:
no sense hanging around an area of the forums where i do not appear to be well liked. sorry for posting something that the mod decided to spend time demolishing any logic behind it to bits, ie. flaming me.
Where were you "flamed"?

Quote:
i gotta learn to stop giving you fodder.
Or, you could make coherent points that you could back up when asked to?
Old 01-24-2006, 07:58 AM
one of the good guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
Rules that by their nature depend on the context and as such cannot be so clearly defined as you'd like are obstructive and should be thrown out?
Could you perhaps break that thought down into a sentence structure I can understand, please? I have read that several times but do not see what you are asking/stating.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:10 AM
dark overlord
Quote:
Could you perhaps break that thought down into a sentence structure I can understand, please? I have read that several times but do not see what you are asking/stating.
I was trying to ascertain if the argument you were trying to make when you said:

Quote:
extrapolated into:

"Rules that (by their nature) depend on the context [of the situation at hand] and, as such, cannot be so clearly defined as you'd like are obstructive and should be thrown out."
Old 01-24-2006, 08:16 AM
one of the good guys
No, that is not quite what I was saying... but that was an acceptable reply.

But, alas, I am too offended and frustrated with the way my replies are generally treated to post anything else at this time.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:41 AM
Scripter
ZeLpH_MyStiK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ZeLpH_MyStiK Send a message via Yahoo to ZeLpH_MyStiK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox1545
The first group wants, unsurprisingly, a forum to discuss scripting, much like a persistent and more popular version of everybody's favourite IRC channel. This includes showing off awesome scripts, discussing awesome features of the scripting engine, or perhaps making fun of unawesome ones, or even requesting more awesome ones, or teaching people how to script so they may contribute to the set of awesome scripts being shown off here.
::sighs:: it used to be like that years ago.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:29 AM
http://wiki.graal.us/
adam has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to adam
I remember when it was like that.

It was a loooong time ago. When Tyhm was super active. And Kyle0654
and Ace##### Yeah, that was fun. I miss that. Before you had to pay to get on the forums also.

For development help, contact the patrons of the #graaldt irc channel below, I am usually there.
Click Here to Join IRC Chat Now! -- irc.freenode.net Channel: #graaldt
Quote:
<Dustyshouri> no, RogueShadow is always talking about scripts lol
<Dustyshouri> in fact, he pretty much brought Graal back as a topic single-handedly
Old 01-25-2006, 06:43 AM
Scripter
ZeLpH_MyStiK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ZeLpH_MyStiK Send a message via Yahoo to ZeLpH_MyStiK
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam
I remember when it was like that.

It was a loooong time ago. When Tyhm was super active. And Kyle0654
and Ace##### Yeah, that was fun. I miss that. Before you had to pay to get on the forums also.
Haha the good ol' (free) days.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:14 AM
call me Chad, it's cooler
Dach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yen
It's one thing when people are asking for short, easy, 12-line scripts.
I don't know about you, but I'm not going to make scripts for people that don't even want to try to learn anything. That is just a waste of my time.