Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Bomy Island Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-16-2007, 03:52 AM
Hollow
Myomoto is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Myomoto Send a message via MSN to Myomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by konidias View Post
It's an interesting idea, but would kind of take away from having to hunt down the exact color clothing you're looking for. Also how exactly would the dying work? Could you dye any shirt any other color? Would there be a specific "colorless" set of clothing which you could dye? Could you only dye lighter colored shirts to a darker same color? I'd need more of an explanation of this idea before I could think about implementing it... =p
There would have to be some sort of charge for using it, of course, maybe you'd even have to bring your own dye?
There could be a big tank of bleach that you could throw the clothes in at first, so it'd go white, and then you would gradually color it the light, normal, dark and deep variation of the basic colors by letting it soak 1 to 4 times in the color tanks, black could be a bit different, because anything could be dropped into the black tank and just become black, unless it is white, then it'd go more and more gray, I guess.

Hm, maybe the dyes would have to be 'rare' items that you would be able to trade with each other.
Also, you could introduce new colors from time to time that you could only get from using the color shop, thus keeping the 'hunt for looks' idea alive
Old 02-16-2007, 04:12 AM
LOCAL DOUCHEBAG
James is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to James
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myomoto View Post
There would have to be some sort of charge for using it, of course, maybe you'd even have to bring your own dye?
There could be a big tank of bleach that you could throw the clothes in at first, so it'd go white, and then you would gradually color it the light, normal, dark and deep variation of the basic colors by letting it soak 1 to 4 times in the color tanks, black could be a bit different, because anything could be dropped into the black tank and just become black, unless it is white, then it'd go more and more gray, I guess.

Hm, maybe the dyes would have to be 'rare' items that you would be able to trade with each other.
Also, you could introduce new colors from time to time that you could only get from using the color shop, thus keeping the 'hunt for looks' idea alive

I think dye should be some sort of special rare item. Perhaps from events? Or scratch the idea entirely from clothes, and distribute it to hair! Make the default hair colors natural ones (black, brown, blonde, red/orange, etc). You need certain ingredients to make certain colors. I think that'd be pretty interesting, and make hair colors a lot more unique. Just to put it in perspective, here's an example of what I'm thinking.

Quote:

Light Blue Hair
1 empty vial + blue dye + rare item

Blue Hair
1 empty vial + (2) blue dyes + rare item

Dark Blue Hair
1 empty vial + (3) blue dyes + rare item
I dunno, just my two cents!

Edit: Hmm, I just noticed Myomoto said dye should be rare....I concur as stated above!

JAMES BAY PACKERS
2011 FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2012 FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS

“If I can slow it down in my mind... things will be fine."

-Aaron Rodgers
2011's NFL Most Valuable Player

Old 02-16-2007, 04:35 AM
Follower of Ultros
Valder is on a distinguished road
I also think that if Dye does become a rare item that the price of it should be regulated by the staff. Hopefully the economy can be kept in balance with that kind of staff-support.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:54 AM
Inferno (Level Designer)
Infernix is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Infernix
I SEARCH FOR THE RARE HAIR DYE...come on now guys. I think you can think alil harder than that.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:20 AM
LOCAL DOUCHEBAG
James is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernix View Post
I SEARCH FOR THE RARE HAIR DYE...come on now guys. I think you can think alil harder than that.
It's a game man? Graal has always been about customization. If people want to look "their way" on a certain server, it makes it more enjoyable to earn it. It also makes it so you can't just easily copy the looks of other players. I guess it gives you the feel of some kind of status/achievement.

It's not like it's going to be the main feature of the friggin playerworld.

"PLAYERS! YOUR MAIN OBJECTIVE IS TO FIND THE HOLY HAIR DYE, YOU CAN DO IT! BE SURE TO FIND THE RIGHT ONE, OR I SHALL BESTOW ETERNAL DAMNATION ON YOU ALL!"

JAMES BAY PACKERS

-Aaron Rodgers

Old 02-16-2007, 05:55 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Dying hair should not be as difficult. It should be as simple as going to your local convenience store and purchasing the hair dye. Not everything has to be this difficult.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:07 AM
Follower of Ultros
Valder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
It's a game man? Graal has always been about customization. If people want to look "their way" on a certain server, it makes it more enjoyable to earn it. It also makes it so you can't just easily copy the looks of other players. I guess it gives you the feel of some kind of status/achievement.

It's not like it's going to be the main feature of the friggin playerworld.

"PLAYERS! YOUR MAIN OBJECTIVE IS TO FIND THE HOLY HAIR DYE, YOU CAN DO IT! BE SURE TO FIND THE RIGHT ONE, OR I SHALL BESTOW ETERNAL DAMNATION ON YOU ALL!"
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:21 AM
LOCAL DOUCHEBAG
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
Dying hair should not be as difficult. It should be as simple as going to your local convenience store and purchasing the hair dye. Not everything has to be this difficult.
It is that simple, in the real world ; games are meant to challenge you. It's just an idea, but I fully support is because it would make players unique.

If nothing was difficult to obtain in a game, no one would play. Think about all the huge MMORPGS that make little things complicated to obtain, there's a lot of them. I'd list the top 3, but I don't think I need to.

Here's a simple scenario for you:

Your idea of not having hair dye hard to get
+There's a veteran player sitting on a bench with shiny blue hair and a sweet looking sword.
Newbie: hi how do u get blue hair?!!
Veteran Player: just use the "sethaircolor" command
Newbie: o sweet!!! hmm....o and how do u get that sword?
Veteran Player: say "setsword sweetultrassj454564sword.png"
Newbie: COOL!!!

Twenty minutes later

Newbie: *thinking to himself: hmmm...what the heck, everything is so easy to get...i'm bored...there's no challenge to this game*

I mean, I've been in a position on other games where I have access to all the items...it just takes the fun out of the game in my opinion. Challenge is what makes games great! The harder they are, the better they are, but there definitely is a level of difficulty where it just gets rediculous...I've played a few extremely challenging games that just take way too long to get anything. I mean, they're still great and all, but some people have lives.

JAMES BAY PACKERS

-Aaron Rodgers

Old 02-16-2007, 09:56 AM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
Lovely!
Old 02-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I mean, I've been in a position on other games where I have access to all the items...it just takes the fun out of the game in my opinion. Challenge is what makes games great! The harder they are, the better they are, but there definitely is a level of difficulty where it just gets rediculous...I've played a few extremely challenging games that just take way too long to get anything. I mean, they're still great and all, but some people have lives.
I agree wholeheartedly. I believe that is why staff on servers who get everything handed to them do not appreciate anything there and end up wanting staff toys and such.

Like right now when I hire someone they get access to all the items, abilities, staff boots, warping, etc... It takes away from the fun of having to earn the items.

Put this image in your sig if you support Bomy Island! (g2k1 revision)
play bomberman while you wait!

Old 02-16-2007, 06:50 PM
Social Engineer
Personal Jesus is on a distinguished road
Extract the dyes from plants and make another job out of that.

Random plants around the OW would be able to give you a random color dye with popular colors (black, blue) being more rare than the less popular ones (pink, purple).
Old 02-16-2007, 07:31 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernix View Post
lol i agree
Old 02-16-2007, 08:03 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
I can agree with refining ingredients to create hair dye (hell, you could make a mini game out of it or something, people throw ingredients into a pot and mix, and they can get a hair dye based on what they put in), but questing for rare items to get rare colors is just stupid. You're just limiting variety, you complain about everyone being the same or something, your idea just inforces it.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Hollow
Myomoto is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Myomoto Send a message via MSN to Myomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
I can agree with refining ingredients to create hair dye (hell, you could make a mini game out of it or something, people throw ingredients into a pot and mix, and they can get a hair dye based on what they put in), but questing for rare items to get rare colors is just stupid. You're just limiting variety, you complain about everyone being the same or something, your idea just inforces it.
Baking like 80 breads to be able to buy a hat wasn't stupid in the old days? People still did it.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias
Actually... I like the idea of hair dye being an item. You could go to a salon to get it styled a certain way and then you could dye it depending on which dye bottles you have.

The plants on the overworld thing would be neat. It would add some random aesthetics to the OW and people could get lucky and find the "rarer" colors... Though I think the normal colors could be available in shops or something.

Going by what was said above... I think it would work to have players find these colored plants and pick them. Then take them to a place where they drop it in a barrel and add some water, and then stir it using the directional keys (like going up left down right around and around) and then if they have a bottle they can put the dye in the bottle.

I don't really think it would work too well for clothing... since hair isn't an item it works easier. But yeah, I like the hair dye idea... I might do something like that. There would still be a lot of colors you could change your hair to without finding the dye.

Put this image in your sig if you support Bomy Island! (g2k1 revision)
play bomberman while you wait!