Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Your opinion
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010, 03:58 AM
Level Designer
Aknts will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Aknts
My opinion.

My opinion is Graal must be making a killing with the prices set and less people playing. I figured they would of made more money back when a lot of people where paying for gold accounts to play on Graal2001. I believe Graal has became way to technical and thats a bad thing. Graal2001-era is what Graal should be right now. Now people are making so much stuff on servers scripting wise, it is not fun. I would pay extra for them to have an old Graal program that could only connect to Graal type servers from around 2001-2005.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:08 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Those were good times back then, there's nothing that can change that opinion but that doesn't mean that they'll be the same now as they were back then because the community has changed dramatically as well as the expectations for games in general.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:18 AM
Delteria
Cloven has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Cloven
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
Those were good times back then, there's nothing that can change that opinion but that doesn't mean that they'll be the same now as they were back then because the community has changed dramatically as well as the expectations for games in general.
Quoted for truth.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:30 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Semi true. Look at Classic iPhone, same formula but just a different platform. However ~12+ years later it got even more popular than Graal could have ever dreamed of.

I'm not by any means saying that Graal should go "simple", just statin facts.

Last edited by Crono; 05-26-2010 at 02:21 PM..
Old 05-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Level Designer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
Semi true. Look at Classic iPhone, same formula but just a different platform. However ~12+ years later it got even more popular than Graal could have ever dreamed of.
Bingo. Look how simple it is, look how cheap it is to play. Graals appeal is its simplicity. What you could do back when NPC Servers came out was enough. Now it has gotten so bloated and the program itself isn't as good as it was.

I've been around Graal since 1.28ish, the game was great all the way up to the new Graal exe. Where it had a blue GUI with games and such you could play. That's when it added all the menus and stuff you can incorporate with the game. Go back to how it was. There is a reason people don't play the game much now.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:58 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aknts View Post
Bingo. Look how simple it is, look how cheap it is to play. Graals appeal is its simplicity. What you could do back when NPC Servers came out was enough. Now it has gotten so bloated and the program itself isn't as good as it was.

I've been around Graal since 1.28ish, the game was great all the way up to the new Graal exe. Where it had a blue GUI with games and such you could play. That's when it added all the menus and stuff you can incorporate with the game. Go back to how it was. There is a reason people don't play the game much now.
That doesn't justify taking a step back in terms of technology, sure not everyone likes the serverlist but you don't play Graal because of the serverlist. It's purpose is to get you from logging in to the server you want to play as fast as it can while still being able to deliver resources such as Graal News and Development Tools.

I don't believe that a serverlist/login interface change is reason enough to say why people don't play anymore either. In fact Graal Classic iPhone uses the same theme and that doesn't seem like it effects the playercount at all.

There's no reason why people can't make the "simple" servers anymore, everything that was there back then is still here today. In fact most of the tools haven't even changed since they were created (this is a bad thing) except for performance reasons like using FILENAMECACHE.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:11 PM
Level Designer
Quote:
That doesn't justify taking a step back in terms of technology, sure not everyone likes the serverlist but you don't play Graal because of the serverlist. It's purpose is to get you from logging in to the server you want to play as fast as it can while still being able to deliver resources such as Graal News and Development Tools.

I don't believe that a serverlist/login interface change is reason enough to say why people don't play anymore either. In fact Graal Classic iPhone uses the same theme and that doesn't seem like it effects the playercount at all.

There's no reason why people can't make the "simple" servers anymore, everything that was there back then is still here today. In fact most of the tools haven't even changed since they were created (this is a bad thing) except for performance reasons like using FILENAMECACHE.
Well that's my opinion of why a lot of people don't play anymore, why do you think? I honestly want to know =).
Old 05-26-2010, 06:37 PM
team canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aknts View Post
Well that's my opinion of why a lot of people don't play anymore, why do you think? I honestly want to know =).
These come to mind.

Boredom, Loss of Interest: This is entirely out of Graal's control and there's only so much you can do to avoid it, and it's only natural to just get bored and lose interest but normally there should be new players to fill the void of a bored one who just left.

Excessive P2P Limitations: How do you hook people with a high success rate when you don't let them save any of their progress or bother them with nag screens.

P2P Cost: Considering the most popular servers are the playerworlds, and the lack of administrative support for it's gold/flagship servers (that are now run by players). People are having to shell out ($30/8 months) a lot for not very much for a game that's not worth nearly as much. Graal's success on the iPlatform has shown that micro-payments can be just as profitable.

Lack of support for newbies: A lot of servers don't really have that many systems in place to teach newbies, and because they aren't exactly as simple as they used to be this lowers the chance of hooking a new player.

Lack of quality content: Considering that all content is developed by volunteers and don't make any money doing so, it's very difficult to develop something of quality unless you have people who are just as willing as you to help get it done. If you want quality service ultimately it comes down to having to pay for it.

Uninviting Community: This kind of ties into the lack of newbie support but it doesn't help to log on a server to be flamed, ridiculed, and harassed for next to no reason, or walking around to see people tossing around racial slurs like a dedicated hate group.

Last edited by fowlplay4; 05-26-2010 at 07:18 PM..
Old 05-26-2010, 07:44 PM
DarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the roughDarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the rough
A strong community provides more benefits than equal amount of strong content. Interaction with other players makes this game fun for me more than content alone. Being able to intertwine good content with a strong community is <3. I personally feel the community is vastly overlooked as sort of a source of content that makes this game fun.

Who can honestly say "I have fun playing all this awesome content all by myself!"?

~DC
2001-2002 - Classic FAQ Administrator/Special Operations Administrator
2005 - 2009 - GC Dev Admin
2009 - Classic Dev Admin Stint
Old 05-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloud_PK View Post
A strong community provides more benefits than equal amount of strong content. Interaction with other players makes this game fun for me more than content alone. Being able to intertwine good content with a strong community is <3. I personally feel the community is vastly overlooked as sort of a source of content that makes this game fun.

Who can honestly say "I have fun playing all this awesome content all by myself!"?
This and not me.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:45 AM
Former Forum Admin/GM
AlkarenHyralt is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to AlkarenHyralt
While no one left would remember, the reason I left Graal and being GM was due to differences between Unixmad and I on the direction we wanted to take graal. And also on how to retain players, make money, develop the game, etc.

He wanted to go the way you've seen over the years, and I didn't because it killed the game.

I continue to be amused how I was right in the end.

Forgotten through the passage of Graal time.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:05 AM
LOCAL DOUCHEBAG
James is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to James
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlkarenHyralt View Post
While no one left would remember, the reason I left Graal and being GM was due to differences between Unixmad and I on the direction we wanted to take graal. And also on how to retain players, make money, develop the game, etc.

He wanted to go the way you've seen over the years, and I didn't because it killed the game.

watchu talkin bout willis?

oh wait...too soon....

JAMES BAY PACKERS
2011 FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2012 FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS

“If I can slow it down in my mind... things will be fine."

-Aaron Rodgers
2011's NFL Most Valuable Player

Old 05-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlkarenHyralt View Post

Hundreds of people have told Unixmad that he's wrong. Even some of the current administrators have told him they disagree with him. Unixmad won't listen, and continues to do whatever he wants. This is why I'll never give that **** another cent of my money.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Registered Space Pirate
Chakrah will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Chakrah Send a message via MSN to Chakrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demisis_P2P View Post
Hundreds of people have told Unixmad that he's wrong. Even some of the current administrators have told him they disagree with him. Unixmad won't listen, and continues to do whatever he wants. This is why I'll never give that **** another cent of my money.

you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him let you ride him.

Chakrah Rain (BTK)
Old 05-30-2010, 11:43 PM
graal player lord
Imperialistic is a jewel in the roughImperialistic is a jewel in the rough
classic iphone got popular because a mmorpg on iphone is cool period.