Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Petrification of a Newbie
Darklux is a jewel in the roughDarklux is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to Darklux Send a message via AIM to Darklux Send a message via Yahoo to Darklux
My Plans for now:

- Finishing the first Town (with a nice oldskoolish city wall maybe)
- Integration of some Elements of Dusty's former Classic-Style Project (Credits! Thanks for the great work!)
- Further refining the concept of the oldskool world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
I wish more levels would be made this way. This style creates the impression that town buildings are plotted rather than a mere random collection of buildings. The orderliness is easy on the eye. Not over-detailing as so many levellers do these days also puts more focus on the finer details that do exist.
Thanks! I plan to keep it that way, the main Town won't even grow that much further. I am still now sure, how much bigger it will grow - but it will rather orientate to old. small standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
Yeah, Delteria's overworld in 2002 was a revolution in the way housing was done on Graal. Probably the best example of a large-scale town ever. The levels themselves weren't great in terms of detailing, cliffs, etc, but the streets/housing was great for its time and still holds up imo.
I played some Delteria when it was running back then, but I am myself rather orientating on pre 1999+ Style Playerworlds, yet keeping it nice and simple. But -if you have some nice screenshots, I am always interested

Last edited by Darklux; 06-21-2012 at 07:43 PM..
Old 06-21-2012, 07:48 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklux View Post
I played some Delteria when it was running back then, but I am myself rather orientating on pre 1999+ Style Playerworlds, yet keeping it nice and simple. But -if you have some nice screenshots, I am always interested
Oh no, it was by no means oldschool. But the buildings felt like they were plotted and the entire city kind of...well, felt like a city. For the time the buildings were large (even bigger when you consider the avg resolution was probably 800x600) and it was a unique feel.

It wasn't the old style you're feeling though, but I know the angle you're coming from. Elven Lands was cute. Sadly I started in 2000, im one of those Bravo trashcan noobs that hopped between EL, Bravo, "Classic", etc. Didn't have a home server until Xone, but that was the summer of 01.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
Oh no, it was by no means oldschool. But the buildings felt like they were plotted and the entire city kind of...well, felt like a city. For the time the buildings were large (even bigger when you consider the avg resolution was probably 800x600) and it was a unique feel.

It wasn't the old style you're feeling though, but I know the angle you're coming from. Elven Lands was cute.
Are we talking about the Delteria where you could shapeshift into wolves and whatnot? 'Cause I vaguely remember what those buildings looked like.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 06-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Send a message via ICQ to Darklux Send a message via AIM to Darklux Send a message via Yahoo to Darklux
Minor Update.

I've got the roof windows from Dusty and slightly modified them, is it okay or slightly too much?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dev Darklux_2012-06-21_21-37-42.png
Views:	274
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	54858   Click image for larger version

Name:	theoldetimes_newwindows.png
Views:	277
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	54860  

Last edited by Darklux; 06-21-2012 at 11:59 PM..
Old 06-22-2012, 05:56 AM
Banned
Ducati_Link is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ducati_Link
I really really liked the black roof - I think it was Crono who said he didn't.. but I dunno, it worked really well with the gold.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:50 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
Are we talking about the Delteria where you could shapeshift into wolves and whatnot? 'Cause I vaguely remember what those buildings looked like.
Ya. The tiling wasn't good, but the way the city was setup it actually felt like a city. When you walked down this street it actually felt like street. You constantly had relatively large houses around you etc. Hard to explain that feel.

p.s, the wolf thing you were talking about. oh good times~

The OW was made in early 2002, compare the levels to anything from that era and yeah...complete change from the norm. That's kind of why I like Darklux's large classic buildings, and how they're in close proximity.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati_Link View Post
I really really liked the black roof - I think it was Crono who said he didn't.. but I dunno, it worked really well with the gold.
Hey

I will likely add two more roof types - a dark one (maybe I will use the black) and a slated one, I am still looking around to find one.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:09 PM
I am still unsure which color to add as last roof color, so I've tried out a bit.
Any comments? Which should be added, or generally any idea on interesting color combinations?

(Edit: I think the Colors of the middle roof parts are still a bit odd ideas welcome xD I am sadly no GFX Genius)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	houseattempt_black.png
Views:	233
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	54861   Click image for larger version

Name:	houseattempt_green.png
Views:	221
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	54862   Click image for larger version

Name:	houseattempt_green2.png
Views:	246
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	54863  
Old 06-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
I feel the saturation needs to be dropped a ton. I also feel they should be much lighter. For example in pics1 there is no deep black used; almost all outlines use a black that's more darker gray then black. It's very soft, so having this 100% black on a roof just contrasts way too much against pics1 and makes it look like it doesn't belong.

Also dude, fix the shadow to the house :P
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	edit1.png
Views:	241
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	54864   Click image for larger version

Name:	edit2.png
Views:	246
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	54865  
Old 06-22-2012, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
I feel the saturation needs to be dropped a ton. I also feel they should be much lighter. For example in pics1 there is no deep black used; almost all outlines use a black that's more darker gray then black. It's very soft, so having this 100% black on a roof just contrasts way too much against pics1 and makes it look like it doesn't belong.

Also dude, fix the shadow to the house :P
Thank you will fix that shadow in a moment.

Update:

Working on the tileset at the moment, expect the new roof colors shortly.
I am also adding playerhouses on interest

Should I keep the name? It's not too nice, but maybe the name is already out for too long to change it any ideas?

Last edited by Darklux; 06-23-2012 at 01:17 AM..
Old 06-23-2012, 03:35 AM
Banned
Yeah, the house fix Dusty did are prefect. I like the 'gold/brown' roof border on them.. makes it look more like it should be like that, rather than a recolour.

If you're talking about 'The Olde Times' I like the name, suits.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Yeah, the house fix Dusty did are prefect. I like the 'gold/brown' roof border on them.. makes it look more like it should be like that, rather than a recolour.

If you're talking about 'The Olde Times' I like the name, suits.
I held a night working session today and already added Dustys idea to the tileset

I'll start playing around with them tomorrow
Old 06-23-2012, 04:05 AM
Jikes, atleast still had to finish two demo houses to show off the new roof tiles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	newroof_demohouses.png
Views:	231
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	54866  
Old 06-23-2012, 04:31 AM
Banned
I may know someone who might like to help out on this as a side project - let me talk to them
Old 06-23-2012, 07:01 PM
Quote:
I may know someone who might like to help out on this as a side project - let me talk to them
I am still sort of unable to hire at the moment, as I still need to refine the major course and design of the server

Yet of course any help is appreciated as soon as this can be called a real Playerworld project - I will probaply call this a real project when the first town is finished, so just contact me.

I enlarged the town today, adding a castle/mansion to the Town.
Feedback strongly appreciated

Credits to Wan for his nice Cliff Presets
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	the_olde_castlehouse.png
Views:	252
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	54868