Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-31-2003, 01:15 AM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias
Quote:
Originally posted by Warcaptain

so we should let every single server have the same things?
wheres the originality then.

if you make uhm let say a uhm lets say wing system like eg (which would lose poitns ne wayz) and you dont even use your own graphics for it...they shouldnt be penalized?

(in regards to q menu) as i said, the bar has to be raised.
if you dont even try to spiffy up your q menu, then you should be penalzied... thats got alot to do with new gameplay.

(in regards to char art) you dont think a playerworld should have to make a new head graphic? or shield graphic? or SOMETHIGN
this has to do not with wheather your world is good or not, but if you can manage it and add new things efficiently when its up
if you cant get artwork made YOU shouldnt have a world.

i simply meant, have one town with EVERYTHING in it
and the rest have like little things, or all player houses.

if you use NOTHIGN but pathegen, dont try to make it look nice
wheres the originality?
where in there did you TRY to make it look better

if you use straight paths all over the place, it looks retarded and unoriginal as if you oh wait whats that again? NO EFFORT!

So a server should have all useless npc's that offer no gameplay value? if you are incapable of scripting npcs well, you SHOULDNT have a world. you will get one up, not know what to do because its all overwhelming, and then itll end up on the bottom of the list with 1-2 on all the tiem (probably all staff)

if a pw level gens EVERYTHING, water, grass, trees, bushes, flower, rocks, it looks like CRAP that all should be placed manualy.

thats why its an easy 50 points
and!! it will put you down alot of points, if you dont have a site hou could get max 75% if you have neither you automaticly fail.
Okay do you see the "Originality" category I placed? This means that if people use nothing but the same stuff, then they would get points counted against them. You should not make a chart of how many points are taken away for each unoriginal feature on the playerworld. It is up to the reviewer to make that decision. Let's say a playerworld uses all the default systems and tileset, but has super original things on the server. They should be penalized and not pass because they used the old tileset?

You have no idea what pathgen is do you? It's not limited to what comes with the level editor. Players can modify the pathgen or make their own from scratch, that can make super detailed paths. I don't see how there is any difference in effort except you waste way more time laying the path tile by tile. Your opinion on straight paths being "retarded and unoriginal" is just that, an opinion. That doesn't mean people don't think straight paths are fine. You're penalizing playerworlds based on your opinion that straight paths are retarded? Hello?

Why can't you just admit that your ideas are completely ridiculous? Can you not get it through your thick skull that pw reviewers aren't going to pass these "2x2 level worlds" that you speak of? Lay off the crack pipe and open your bloodshot eyes, so you can see that playerworld reviewers are not blind and retarded, they know what is good and what isn't.

You know, getting angry and pissed off at something like this, usually means that you know you're wrong, but you're just too proud and hotheaded to admit it, so you flip out and yell at me to try and justify yourself.

So basically what you're saying, is that in order for a playerworld to even be considered acceptable, it needs an entirely new tileset, character design, inventory, battle system, status system, and 100 employees from Squaresoft working 24 hours a day on it? I want to raise the bar as well, but you're setting too many specifics. If the pw reviewers raise the bar on what they think is acceptable, then no bad playerworlds will be put online.

Put this image in your sig if you support Bomy Island! (g2k1 revision)
play bomberman while you wait!

Old 01-31-2003, 01:30 AM
Freelance Web Designer
JrTerrorist is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JrTerrorist Send a message via MSN to JrTerrorist
Quote:
Originally posted by Genesis
what are u mad cuz u can't make 1?
yes Genesis, im [sarcasm]very[/sarcasm] mad because I cannot make a tileset.. I suppose my lack of GFX landed me Graphics Administration on Era? (For the *****s (aka. Genesis) .. Im talking about GFX Admin)

Yes, I'm really Arcadius Canavi.
Games I Play: CS, CS:CZ, CS:S, DoD, HL2, Halo2, World of Warcraft, NS
Games I used to Play: SWG, L2, EQ, FFXI, MoH:AA, BF1942
www.gamersmark.com > you.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:56 AM
Banned
Warcaptain is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Warcaptain Send a message via AIM to Warcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to Warcaptain
Quote:
Originally posted by konidias

Okay do you see the "Originality" category I placed? This means that if people use nothing but the same stuff, then they would get points counted against them. You should not make a chart of how many points are taken away for each unoriginal feature on the playerworld. It is up to the reviewer to make that decision. Let's say a playerworld uses all the default systems and tileset, but has super original things on the server. They should be penalized and not pass because they used the old tileset?

You have no idea what pathgen is do you? It's not limited to what comes with the level editor. Players can modify the pathgen or make their own from scratch, that can make super detailed paths. I don't see how there is any difference in effort except you waste way more time laying the path tile by tile. Your opinion on straight paths being "retarded and unoriginal" is just that, an opinion. That doesn't mean people don't think straight paths are fine. You're penalizing playerworlds based on your opinion that straight paths are retarded? Hello?

Why can't you just admit that your ideas are completely ridiculous? Can you not get it through your thick skull that pw reviewers aren't going to pass these "2x2 level worlds" that you speak of? Lay off the crack pipe and open your bloodshot eyes, so you can see that playerworld reviewers are not blind and retarded, they know what is good and what isn't.

You know, getting angry and pissed off at something like this, usually means that you know you're wrong, but you're just too proud and hotheaded to admit it, so you flip out and yell at me to try and justify yourself.

So basically what you're saying, is that in order for a playerworld to even be considered acceptable, it needs an entirely new tileset, character design, inventory, battle system, status system, and 100 employees from Squaresoft working 24 hours a day on it? I want to raise the bar as well, but you're setting too many specifics. If the pw reviewers raise the bar on what they think is acceptable, then no bad playerworlds will be put online.
if 4 points fail a playerworld, theres more probelsm than just that

im NOT saying they need to have all that to pass
but if you want a PERFECT score yuo need all of it.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:11 AM
Freelance Web Designer
If you get a perfect score.. then your special.

Old 01-31-2003, 03:37 PM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias
Quote:

if 4 points fail a playerworld, theres more probelsm than just that

im NOT saying they need to have all that to pass
but if you want a PERFECT score yuo need all of it.
There's no such thing as a perfect score. If all you need is the stuff that you mentioned, the playerworld wouldn't be perfect, it would just be meeting the requirements.

Put this image in your sig if you support Bomy Island! (g2k1 revision)
play bomberman while you wait!

Old 01-31-2003, 03:50 PM
Script Monkey
Kaimetsu will become famous soon enough
RATING SYSTEM:

Gameplay: Is it fun? Will it continue to be fun for a long time?
Total: 100 points

Grand Total: 100 points

OBVIOUSLY there are extra parts. If the scripting is bad then it will most likely not be fun and it will fail. If it is okay but inefficient/full of security flaws then send them away until they fix it. Same for other things like stolen graphics. Segmenting the reviewing method just leads to unbalanced reviews. There's no need to overcomplicate this.

AND TREVOR: My scripting style is the best IN THE WORLD.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:41 PM
Jeff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaimetsu
RATING SYSTEM:

Gameplay: Is it fun? Will it continue to be fun for a long time?
Total: 100 points

Grand Total: 100 points

OBVIOUSLY there are extra parts. If the scripting is bad then it will most likely not be fun and it will fail. If it is okay but inefficient/full of security flaws then send them away until they fix it. Same for other things like stolen graphics. Segmenting the reviewing method just leads to unbalanced reviews. There's no need to overcomplicate this.

AND TREVOR: My scripting style is the best IN THE WORLD.

Agreed. An overall grade of how valuable the server might be to Graal would allow more freedom to the PW makers (i.e. removing all incentives to create needless storylines where they really do not fit) and make the job of the PWA folks easier.

Also agreed on scripting syle.
Version: 3.12
GO d+ s++:+ !a C++ UL+(UL+++)@ P+ L+(++)>+++ E---- W++@ N- !o ?K w(w--) !O !M@ !V PS- PE+ Y PGP t+ 5 X R tv(tv+) b++(b+)>b++++ DI(DI+) D-- G e->e++++ h! !r y
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Old 01-31-2003, 07:58 PM
Telmont Bandit
draygin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by G_yoshi
Long shpeel..

Yes I agree with you on that. I'm just saying if the levels are done proffessionally then it shouldnt matter wether its the old tile set or not. It should be based on skills of the levels not on if its a new tile set or old tile set. You can have old tile set and very nice levls and you can have the old tile set and still have crap levels. Ruling one out just because its the default is just pure stupidity. Allowing both offers something to both sides. People who like the old tile set. People who want new tile sets. It doesnt hurt anything if they want the old tile set. If people dont play because they're using it then it will be taken down. Nothing to be lost only gained.

I stole Spanky's gold!
Old 01-31-2003, 10:32 PM
Freelance Web Designer
What if the tileset looks really leet so all levels look skilled? O_o

Old 01-31-2003, 10:40 PM
Banned
Warcaptain is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Warcaptain Send a message via AIM to Warcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to Warcaptain
Quote:
Originally posted by draygin

Yes I agree with you on that. I'm just saying if the levels are done proffessionally then it shouldnt matter wether its the old tile set or not. It should be based on skills of the levels not on if its a new tile set or old tile set. You can have old tile set and very nice levls and you can have the old tile set and still have crap levels. Ruling one out just because its the default is just pure stupidity. Allowing both offers something to both sides. People who like the old tile set. People who want new tile sets. It doesnt hurt anything if they want the old tile set. If people dont play because they're using it then it will be taken down. Nothing to be lost only gained.
yes i know
levels can look amazing with old tileset

but we have TOO many servers that look EXACTLY the same.
its a big turn off for new players I know that because my friends wont play it:

#1 theres no storyline, or plot
#2 everything looks repetative
#3 players are out of control
Old 01-31-2003, 11:04 PM
Forbidden
G_yoshi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to G_yoshi
Quote:

yes i know
levels can look amazing with old tileset

but we have TOO many servers that look EXACTLY the same.
its a big turn off for new players I know that because my friends wont play it:

#1 theres no storyline, or plot
#2 everything looks repetative
#3 players are out of control
Okay. We've all reached this same conclusion. What are you going to do about it? Sitting there and arguing with us does no good, we knew long ago what the problems were and we're actually doing something about it! Can you believe it!? You are complaining about these things yet I see you taking no action to solve them. Just because you may already have a PW up doesn't mean you can't change it or that you should be excused from appended rules and policies governing playerworlds. Especially these silly new restrictions you are suggesting. If that is what you think a PW needs in order to be "good" then why don't you take the time to do that for your own PW, hmm?
Old 02-01-2003, 11:42 PM
Freelance Web Designer
Because it would include harsh labour involving mouse movement and typing?

Old 02-02-2003, 03:56 AM
busyrobot is on a distinguished road
<blatantly_uneducated_opinion>
Playablilty is everything.

New graphics help so the new world doesn't remind you of all the horribly boring places you've wasted time on in other playerworlds. Graphics are a good hook to get curiousity up, and give a feel of professionalism. Good graphics inspire hope in new arrivals that the rest of the world may have the same attention to detail. But, it's still mostly marketing - the proof is in *if* the rest was done professionally too.

As for a 'score', I think it should always be 'pass', 'fix this' or 'fail'.

The 'score' will end up being it's overall survival and popularity a year later.

</blatantly_uneducated_opinion>

"Uh, Professor, are we even allowed in the Forbidden Zone?"
"Why, of course! It's just a name, like the Death Zone or the Zone of No Return. All the zones have names like that in the Galaxy of Terror."
Old 02-02-2003, 05:53 AM
Freelance Web Designer
I think I know what he meant..

SOmething about GFX sort of hooking players towards servers.. o.O

Old 02-05-2003, 11:48 PM
Banned
Kinatt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Kinatt Send a message via Yahoo to Kinatt
Graphics are only good for 2 things

Getting players to get on initially, and secondly just give eye candy the real hook is the scripting and fun factor from the idea.. so really it just boils down to the idea.. is the idea a good one or a bad one and thats where it is. That is my opinion.