Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-03-2011, 03:07 AM
Zeus Condero
papajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Lord2 View Post
It sounds like it is going to take a loooot of people to keep this up lol
Not really, and i have no intention of leading all the other groups. My hope is that groups form and follow in our footsteps. As long as another person wants to learn with me, im satisfied. I am just trying to create a network.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:07 AM
Zeus Condero
papajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to behold
Okay sorry to do this, but I think a forum would be better than google wave. I say this because its easier for people to sign up and join and its easier to show threads to non members.

Please take a minute to check out http://scriptingschool.forumotion.com/.

This will not change, so don't worry. Sorry about the confusion.

I put up a mini practice script (pretty simple) Under Assignments/Week One. You can see the instructions on top and then see posts below. Feel free to comment on people's scripts (I put a simple script up to show you). If you need help, go to the help section.

Last edited by papajchris; 05-03-2011 at 04:55 AM..
Old 05-03-2011, 05:12 AM
Jazz teh Awesome
oo_jazz_oo is a jewel in the roughoo_jazz_oo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to oo_jazz_oo
Also, as you have different lessons, its important to teach good styling.

PHP Code:
function onCreated() {
  echo(
"Hello World!");

is much better than
PHP Code:
function onCreated(){echo("Hellow World!");} 
Or any other variation, as people like to do weird stuff while styling...
It just makes it easier for others to read your code.

Also, indenting the script inside a function/brackets makes it much easier to read than if everything is indented the same. :P

Old 05-03-2011, 08:37 AM
David K?
Devil_Lord2 can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by papajchris View Post
Okay sorry to do this, but I think a forum would be better than google wave. I say this because its easier for people to sign up and join and its easier to show threads to non members.

Please take a minute to check out http://scriptingschool.forumotion.com/.

This will not change, so don't worry. Sorry about the confusion.

I put up a mini practice script (pretty simple) Under Assignments/Week One. You can see the instructions on top and then see posts below. Feel free to comment on people's scripts (I put a simple script up to show you). If you need help, go to the help section.
Can you post assignments on here since my subscription is on here and I can see if someone replies, then I can head over to there? Because I honestly don't think I will check weekly or bi-weekly and will probably forget in a few weeks to even check it..

I'll check it now though! :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by oo_jazz_oo View Post
Also, as you have different lessons, its important to teach good styling.

Also, indenting the script inside a function/brackets makes it much easier to read than if everything is indented the same. :P
Oh geez, I have when people do
PHP Code:
function onHurtMyBrain(){ 

below "horribleimo";
  if (
youDoItLikeThis){

this.confusedMe "a lot.";
  } else { 

something below;
  }

or if (
wheredthebracketsgo)    what ++; 
or such.. I've never been taught to do it, and seeing others doing it I say it is bad styling.. But then I saw that Stefan does it in his 2001 baddies.. D: I had to tell ZeroG I'd never criticize on him doing it again. :c

Also, I hate that foo bar stuff as well >.> for all I know it is a built in variable or function I don't know about or care to learn.

Anyway, sometimes the simplest scripts can confuse you when you are not use to the styling or if the styling is poor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
Punctuation should be a requirement for joining the group.
Or anyone who is willing to learn from their mistake or at least try..
I don't think anyone should be left out because of lack of knowledge if they really want to, and can, learn. :c
Then again, I don't recommend anyone to try if they do not have Access to RC... D:
Although, I think I know someone trying to build a program to check code like the RC does..
It would be extremely helpful.

Digital Media Artist - David K? </3 (UnLoved)
www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Last edited by Devil_Lord2; 05-03-2011 at 09:06 AM..
Old 05-03-2011, 09:15 AM
The Muffin Man
Tricxta is a jewel in the roughTricxta is a jewel in the rough
Whats peoples on thoughts as far as readability goes if I did:
NPC Code:
function onCreated()echo "Hello world!";

I think it improves readability as its a smaller area to focus on however some might argue it decreases readability, can someone please clarify this?
Old 05-03-2011, 11:53 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricxta View Post
Whats peoples on thoughts as far as readability goes if I did:
NPC Code:
function onCreated()echo "Hello world!";

I think it improves readability as its a smaller area to focus on however some might argue it decreases readability, can someone please clarify this?
The most important thing is consistency. However, I don't think there's a scripter who wouldn't smack you for doing that, especially since the echo is GS1. It doesn't improve readability to exclude braces, it just makes it harder to change later.

PHP Code:
function onCreated() {
  echo(
"Hello world!");

Old 05-03-2011, 12:03 PM
The Muffin Man
Tricxta is a jewel in the roughTricxta is a jewel in the rough
Is there any website that contains all the commands available to use in GS2? And Gscript wiki isnt it, it contains the basics and only the basics, nothing like how to disable the chat bar or something obscure. Or is everything just thrown around everywhere and is a complete mess?
Old 05-03-2011, 12:28 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricxta View Post
Is there any website that contains all the commands available to use in GS2? And Gscript wiki isnt it, it contains the basics and only the basics, nothing like how to disable the chat bar or something obscure. Or is everything just thrown around everywhere and is a complete mess?
GScript is object-oriented, so you want to get away from thinking of it as command-based. To disable the chat bar, you need to act on its GUI object, named ChatBar.

There is a list of server functions here, and a list of client functions here. These are not completely up-to-date, so use scripthelp as well.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Emera is a jewel in the roughEmera is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSmith View Post
Also, being the first to try this could be difficult. This dummy group needs to get. It right or people will be hesitant to try it again. I don't think we will have that problem though, given the dedication of some of the members. Also, once we have a curriculum to base off of and the setup made, I don't see why other classes couldn't deviate from this (other NAT GANI, LAT or even GFX classes)
No pressure...
But i agree lol. I am looking forward to this!
i hope to see a lot of people there!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Zeus Condero
The first assignment is already up (Well a practice one)! So sign up on the forums and post. Me and some others have already met on testbed and began working on making the practice assignment more complex. From this point on I am going to copy/paste our conversations (if they were productive) so that they could be used as a guide as many questions were asked. We will be on there tonight!

Good News! - I am looking into a ventrillo server strictly for those who want to script.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Zeus Condero
I know this is a double post, but i'd like it to show up as an updated thread.

I'd like some input on what we will be working on. Right now I think it would be a great idea to work on a server pack (As many of you are starting servers). We will be working on a
  • Tailor system
  • Hat System
  • Jail System
  • Event System
  • Mining System
  • Custom HUD and Inventory
  • Event Prizes
  • Fishing

(Not necessarily in this order)

Now these cover a wide range of things. For example the hat system would start off as setting a players hat, and eventually creating a GUI for it (As Jerret talked about above). Same with the Tailor Script. These options cover a wide range of skill from simply setting a skin color to have a GUI that saves outfits.

My intention is to eventually compile worthy scripts and hand them out as Server Start-up Packs (What the GDT use to do) or training guides (Of course with the scripters permission).
Old 05-03-2011, 09:19 PM
IaMnOtAnEwB2_red38 is on a distinguished road
This seems interesting, a few years ago I was in the middle of learning GS1 and I seemed to catch on quickly, but never gave myself a chance to pick it back up after the GS2 conversion. Count me in.

Email: [email protected]
Old 05-03-2011, 10:40 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry but that forum is just dreadful.

Couldn't you just use the Group (Moderated) functionality on these forums, and Thread posts for assignments/challenges?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Cap' n Jack
Samurai_X2689 is on a distinguished road
I always wanted to learn scripting and I have learned ssome scripting from my buddies on graal. However, I think this is a good opportunity for me to learn more and get better at scripting. So count me in.

E-mail: [email protected]

Saranghae! No Homo!
Old 05-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Zeus Condero
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
Sorry but that forum is just dreadful.

Couldn't you just use the Group (Moderated) functionality on these forums, and Thread posts for assignments/challenges?
I was going through a few themes so hopefully you took a look while I was adjusting things. I personally like having it on a different website as all scripting things are in one place. Once a thread dies I plan to adjust the title to what the thread may be about (such as functions) and make it easy to search. I like the ability to make changes, but if it ends up not working we can come here