Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Some new features since the last time CTF was hosted are the replacement summon working in the same way as normal entrance summoning with there being a button for players to click, Event Starting/Ending/Replacement messages (plus game related messages to those within event levels, such as a player scoring) included within the recently released Chat System, and an on screen timer to count down towards the game being unfrozen for whenever there is a stoppage.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Zormite
BigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond repute
It's goin' down.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:29 PM
Gladius
BlackSolider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlackSolider
The CTF Madness has started.

Ice is first up.

If you want to play, stop by Classic and we'll try to get you into the next game(s).

Edit: complete. I think we hosted 4 or 5 games, to varying degrees of competitiveness. I hope most of you enjoyed your return to Classic, and perhaps it won't be the last

Last edited by BlackSolider; 04-05-2010 at 01:54 AM..
Old 04-05-2010, 02:03 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Overall i'd say that went well, it's disappointing to see that so many will participate for a sumo but then not be interested in another game type, while likely the majority sumo isn't everyones preference, and if you do keep the activity going by participating within the other game modes that brings the possibility of another sumo being hosted.

Would anybody out there be interested in tiling their own game mode?
It's much easier + quicker to add new modes now compared to before and this doesn't come at the price of more lag, if people were to come up with a set of levels that provide a different type of experience to the current modes there's a chance we could add it.
All they have to include is the 2 spots inwhich the flags are placed, and atleast one (more than 2 could be interesting) base for each teams players to spawn at.

It's become clear that attacking is somewhat difficult in modes that involve closed bases such as Large, Indoor2 etc, this is as a result of the default-style blink removing whenever you slash or press arrow keys in such a way you lose it, something we could possibly do is make a seperate blink that always lasts a particular amount of time regardless just for team events, thoughts?

Something else we may implement soon is a tool to temporarily give players the typical weapons such as Bow, Bomb or possibly other weapon types which aren't released as this is missed to an extent within the future mode, I also haven't forgotten about the Timed Mode idea I mentioned, hope to implement this soon aswell.

Any other ideas welcome.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:27 AM
Gladius
BlackSolider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlackSolider
I suggest the "tile your own ctf" needs a few requirements, such as:
-the map needs to basically be symmetrical
-the tiling needs to be consistent throughout, no random tiles/coloring
-an overall theme (snow, fire, outdoor, castle, etc.) should be obvious
-don't just be a new sumo map

Obviously those aren't fixed rules, but there needs to be some guidelines so we get quality work, not something that was thrown together in 10 minutes. Likewise, we don't want to have 20 gametypes of ctf, since we don't want it being overhosted like it was in the past.

I'm not well-versed in the HD details to comment on the "blinking" and other stuff, but if it's clearly unfair in favor of the defense, then obviously we need to find a way to even things up.

A few ideas:
-make the numbers on the clock bigger (when about to unfreeze,) b/c i can barely see them as is
-would be nice if the GC could type in a message that only people in the event could see, perhaps where the clock appears at the bottom. Simple messages like "restarting soon" or "we're waiting on X to get back" could be helpful. Obviously we have the chatbox for this, but I imagine it'd be inconvenient to try and play ctf with that thing covering a good portion of the screen.
-Also, it'd be nice if there was a button or something at the bottom that showed if any events were currently being hosted, that way I'd (hopefully) stop getting PMs from people saying "PLZ LET ME JOIN" and such.

Just some thoughts.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:31 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
The hit detection is nothing like default. Fixing that would be a good start.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:41 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
if the hd is going to be clientside then they need to try their best to replicate the default

i for one had trouble hitting some people
Old 04-05-2010, 02:42 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
The hit detection is nothing like default. Fixing that would be a good start.
They are both using exactly the same mechanism and values.
Both Default and the scripted system are checking other players for the sword gani, and then checking for the intersection of 2 boxes, the first being a 2 by 2 tile box of your players body, the second being a 2 by 2 tile box infront of the attacker offset depending on their direction, from what i've measured Default isn't dealing damage throughout the entire length of the sword gani being visible and the scripted system lasts the same amount of frames, recoil is somewhat more technical but again the times match up.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:44 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
They are both using exactly the same mechanism and values.
Both Default and the scripted system are checking other players for the sword gani, and then checking for the intersection of 2 boxes, the first being a 2 by 2 tile box of your players body, the second being a 2 by 2 tile box infront of the attacker offset depending on their direction, from what i've measured Default isn't dealing damage throughout the entire length of the sword gani being visible and the scripted system lasts the same amount of frames.
I don't care how it's done, it's nothing like default. Try playing UN for a few days and then go back to Classic, you'll notice a mighty big difference in pretty much every aspect of it.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:50 AM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
Things I pointed out during the event for ease of access:

The join events icon is taking focus from the client, halting movement when an event starts.
It would be nice to allow more customization on the chat UI, primarily changing the transparency of the scroll.

as far as sumo modes go, see if Mighty still has the cave/sumo he levels he made, I may still have them somewhere if you can't reach him
Old 04-05-2010, 02:54 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I don't care how it's done, it's nothing like default. Try playing UN for a few days and then go back to Classic, you'll notice a mighty big difference in pretty much every aspect of it.
Classic was using Default for a while throughout the stages inwhich the custom systems were being made, and having alternated between them for testing they didn't seem as different to me as you are making out,
granted they don't feel exactly the same and then there are some small deliberate but negligible differences, but there isn't really much more that can be done to make it more like Default, unless the values were to be changed to values other than measured for Default based on personal feeling, or the built in code were to be made public and it revealed other differences.

Regarding UN though, quite alot of the higherups of the established guilds there that have tried the HD have been fairly complimentary of it, several not even realising that it was scripted.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Zormite
BigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, when I was sparring after the CTF matches, I noticed some funky hit detection as well.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSolider View Post
-make the numbers on the clock bigger (when about to unfreeze,) b/c i can barely see them as is

-would be nice if the GC could type in a message that only people in the event could see, perhaps where the clock appears at the bottom. Simple messages like "restarting soon" or "we're waiting on X to get back" could be helpful. Obviously we have the chatbox for this, but I imagine it'd be inconvenient to try and play ctf with that thing covering a good portion of the screen.

-Also, it'd be nice if there was a button or something at the bottom that showed if any events were currently being hosted, that way I'd (hopefully) stop getting PMs from people saying "PLZ LET ME JOIN" and such.
Done, done and for the last thing i've added a message into chat box for now, possibly will add an alert for it another time.

Regarding blink i've altered it so that it always lasts for 1.25 seconds while participating within Team Events, this is exactly half way between the default + scripted minimum time of 0.5 seconds and maximum time of 2 seconds (if anybody can prove these times are wrong it would be appreciated), it would be nice to experiment a game of large or indoor/indoor2 with this soon.

Last edited by ffcmike; 04-07-2010 at 01:16 AM..