Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Rjax Shizibz
Dnegel will become famous soon enough
It looks great.

Keep up the awesome work.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Banned
12171217 has a spectacular aura about
From a gameplay standpoint it's pretty poorly designed, really.

It's advertised as a sort of chat application in the AppStore, but it's pretty dumb to make such a massive overworld, with such few players. It's ridiculous to anticipate a large playerbase, when nobody in their right mind is going to sit behind a damn iPod playing Graal for more than 15 minutes at a time.

Making such an early release with so little content, bloated across such a massive overworld, was very stupid. People will take a look, see how "meh" it is in it's current form, people will forget about it very quickly, reducing the player count when it finally DOES improve.

Also, why the Hell did you simply drop the old Classic server onto it and call it Graal Classic in the AppStore? I can see where you got your inspiration, such as Doom Classic or Wolfenstein 3D Classic, but those are games from people's pasts, and calling it Graal Classic and dropping a game from the 1990's on it is really strange. There's a reason why Graal Classic isn't on the top of the serverlist; the formula is sorely dated, and needs revision.

Overall, it's rathered flawed.

1) Make the overworld smaller and give it a purpose.
2) Get rid of the old-fashioned gameplay; there's a reason why Graal Classic isn't at the top of the serverlist.
3) You drop players in a huge city, with playerhouses that have signs and such that say things related to Graal's history, yet the overworld is a watered-down version? Inconsistent.. Weird.
4) Infinite bombs and arrows, it's a spamfest.
5) Seems to be running at higher than 20 FPS, making players move faster.
6) No QMenu.
7) Why can I grab thin air? Shotty movement system.

I was looking forward to this, as. I've had an iPod for the past few months and saw some of the other Eurocenter releases, which I was quite happy with, considering their success as far as how they were being sold on the AppStore and their gameplay factors, but with this release, I might as well be playing that old-ass Java Graal client.

Also, lack of cliff jumping.

Last edited by Sam; 12-15-2009 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: merged
Old 12-15-2009, 08:12 PM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
This has been explained before, era has too many effects, thats why it sucks

Old 12-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12171217 View Post
There's a reason why Graal Classic isn't on the top of the serverlist; the formula is sorely dated, and needs revision.
I don't think that's the real reason, actually.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:38 PM
GREATEST
Ares is on a distinguished road
why yes, i will try this
Old 12-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
When it was first released, I logged on through my regular Graal client and it was a surprise. Not the server itself, because I don't think there was any effort placed into it at all, but with how the players were. People were exploring in little groups, arrows were shooting everywhere, and everyone had a positive outlook towards what they were on. It was cute, amusing, and refreshing. Only in that regard did it feel like Graal Classic.

The server itself should not have been released in the state it is in. This could have potentially been a great advertisement for Graal on the PC, but the only thing it contains is PKing and a very empty deviation of Classic's overworld. I was interacting with some of the players, hell, I even made a friend called SEPTIC who found the game exciting. However, after a while people started wondering what there was to do outside of "PVP" and people started logging off. SEPTIC said he was going to refer all of his friends to the application, but with nothing to do on it, they're not going to stay for very long.

Overall I feel it could have been done much better, and I think it needs some desperate attention (and THOUGHT put into it) before potentially great opportunities are lost, and you start getting the negative reviews in.

--
Side note: Aside from the lack of content, in the content that is uploaded there are heavy religious undertones all over the place. Sure, these things existed in Classic (places like Jesus Freaks, the Graal City church) but when you've got such a small amount of content, you start noticing NPC's telling you that you're evil and God is good just that bit more. If you can feel comfortable removing the Angel Clan, I'm sure these things can go.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
About some criticism: The overworld is not really that big, you can see everything in 5 minutes, it's only a small part of Classic. Also it's called Classic because it's Classic The game play of Classic is what Graal made a success. The frame rare is 20 fps, the speed of players is 0.6 tiles per frame instead of the default 0.5 fps to make it feel more fluid / less laggy and have a chance against PC players. It's showing the grab animation when you press A to give some feedback, pressing a button should always give a visual feedback. Currently there are no other items beside bow, bomb and sword so a Q menu would be pointless. You can tap on the player to see the player profile which shows your current amount of gralats.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
...because I don't think there was any effort placed into it at all...
Rufus will always stay Rufus
Old 12-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Rufus will always stay Rufus
Lmao.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
It's showing the grab animation when you press A to give some feedback, pressing a button should always give a visual feedback.
That doesn't make a lot of sense... if a button does nothing at the moment, it should actually have no visual feedback -- it's just deceiving. Most games have tons of buttons that do nothing when they're not intended to do anything... it's how buttons are intended to work. If I use my mouse and click on a part of the screen that has no buttons or anything, I wouldn't expect my mouse cursor to change just because I clicked for visual feedback, because that would be pointless.

It's all rather minuscule of a point, however.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:17 PM
Graal Administration
Have you played the iPhone/iPod touch version? Getting some feedback is always important, especially since there are no hardware buttons.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:18 PM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Have you played the iPhone/iPod touch version? Getting some feedback is always important, especially since there are no hardware buttons.
Fair enough, however like I said really a small thing, not like it's game-breaking or something anyways.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Luda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Luda
Quote:
Also it's called Classic because it's Classic The game play of Classic is what Graal made a success.
Do you plan on adding other servers? If not, I think It should just be called Graal.

Quote:
It's showing the grab animation when you press A to give some feedback, pressing a button should always give a visual feedback. Currently there are no other items beside bow, bomb and sword so a Q menu would be pointless. You can tap on the player to see the player profile which shows your current amount of gralats.
In the future if you add a Q menu, you should remove the bomb/arrow icons and replace them with E1 and E2 (Equipment 1 and Equipment 2, or something like that). Also, when I was watching the video I noticed that when you picked up a bush you pressed the bomb button to hide under it, I thought that was kind of funny because a bomb has no relation to hiding under a bush whatsoever lol. Heart icon's should be smaller and gelats should be displayed on the screen.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Ya, icons should change to reflect their purpose. If you're holding an object and can hide under it, the weapon buttons should change to show you can hide under the object, and sword/grab button should change to show you can throw it. These are the sort of things new players probably won't figure out by themselves very. Could probably just use the text 'throw' and 'hide', however.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Graal Administration
At the end the buttons are still mapped onto keys (D) That's why the bush hiding works. We will make it so that it's displaying the gralat amount when you pick it up.