View Poll Results: Favorite "Classic" Version
Graal 2000 13 23.21%
Graal The Adventure 36 64.29%
"Classic" 7 12.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyhm View Post
The recurring problem is keeping Classic loaded with quests without having Way Too Many Hearts, Way Too Much Damage, Way Too Many Weapon Choices, or Way Too Many Keys.
Can Classic have content that is not quests while staying classic?
Old 08-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Way Too Many Keys
I tried to offer a solution (http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=81096) but well..
Old 08-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I tried to offer a solution (http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=81096) but well..
*L* That too, but I meant keys in the old addinventory sense of "set dungeonkey1got". Flags with graphics. There were a few weapons that weren't too useful In The Wide World, you just needed them to get through the same quest you got 'em in.

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 08-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
*L* That too, but I meant keys in the old addinventory sense of "set dungeonkey1got". Flags with graphics. There were a few weapons that weren't too useful In The Wide World, you just needed them to get through the same quest you got 'em in.
Things just need better organization.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:02 AM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Things just need better organization.
A pretty basic Zelda-like replacement of the Q window could just display a bunch of flags graphically.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:12 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
A pretty basic Zelda-like replacement of the Q window could just display a bunch of flags graphically.
Oh but that wouldn't be Classic.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Somewhat rusty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Oh but that wouldn't be Classic.
It could be made to look just like the old Q menu, except a separate section at the bottom, which also looks just like the old Q menu.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Psionic Youth
Classic is a fallacy. You can't get back the innocence, patience, and low expectations you had when you started playing Graal. Super Mario Bros isn't the game you remember either.

Classic as a standing attempt to mimic Zelda 3 and a milieu of similar 2d games, on the other hand...

Further, True Classic had all the keys appear on the left, right under the Hypothetical Magic Meter.

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck

Old 08-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Somewhat rusty
Quote:
Super Mario Bros isn't the game you remember either.
I still play through Super Mario World (generation gap blah blah) every once in a while

Quote:
Further, True Classic had all the keys appear on the left, right under the Hypothetical Magic Meter.
Yeah but that is bound to get annoying after you accumulate a few keys and stop doing the related quests.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Classic is a fallacy. You can't get back the innocence, patience, and low expectations you had when you started playing Graal. Super Mario Bros isn't the game you remember either.

Classic as a standing attempt to mimic Zelda 3 and a milieu of similar 2d games, on the other hand...

This is true, however, I doubt anyone would mind a fix to the annoying things like the inventory(real inventory, not the qmenu).
Old 09-21-2008, 07:44 AM
The Flying Dutchmen
DutchGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
i miss the classic where you had major guild wars on mod fort. Where laming was a part of the war, where everyone could fight in, laggers, people on slow connection. Everything changed when when suddenly classic (or whoever) decided to add more forts, to babord and in destiny, and those small changes were the effect of the downfall of classic as we know it. Suddenly we had more places to war on, when mod fort was normal to go to.
Furthur i remember a big house that was under babords entrance (from osl) and ofcourse the singles bar under the bridge, where you had to pay toll to enter.

Nowadays classic is full of " 2000" leftovers who think they can bring a change of the current content to what it "was" . While every other server has moved on to reality and that is the modern day.

We need to remember classic for what it was and respect that. And accept that it will never be as it was. Other servers are now popular because they changed their inputs every once in a while to what is popular for the people nowadays, while classic has always been more of a server for old stuff.
People nowadays dont care about old stuff, and look for new and fun adventures.

The thing i miss on every server though , something Classic did have was a community to die for.

Everyone is so focused on gameplay that interacting has become kind of a second plan to most people. Where Classic always had a interactive community where everyone talked to eachother no matter what.
Now servers are full of loners.

I respect the period when tyhm used his skills to make classic the way it was. and i Accept the fact that classic is at the bottom of a pit.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:02 AM
Psionic Youth
Dutch - you've touched on something I figured out pretty late into the game, that fun is a factor of scarcity, and doubling the supply of something (even by popular request) kills the demand. Mod Fort was popular, so I made more. It was fun making a Vampire Tower, but since I didn't have access to global scripting (except through Server Strings) I never got to take the next step, using the Forts as a sort of Semifinal and creating another tier where Fort-Owning Guilds could war, sending major ranged attacks against the other forts, turf wars for supremacy, etc....
which wasn't apparently what made Mod Fort fun anyway, which just goes to show you can't fix everything with clever scripting. :-D

Old 10-03-2008, 05:18 AM
Somewhat rusty
Quote:
you can't fix everything with clever scripting.
You probably just were not applying enough of it.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
With each new generation of players comes a new 'favorite'. This has been rehashed hundreds of times over but what the hay, I'll say it again. You can never please any of the people all the time so my advice to Thor is to develop Classic into what he wants and start ignoring all the complainers. They often just log on, see piece of tiling is different and go drama queen over the change. Yes, the singles bar was a cool hangout, during its time, but by the time it was replaced you rarely saw anyone in it. Angel Clan headquarters rocked for warring but now.... dead empty and has been for years. But don't touch it or you'll be driven from the hallowed halls of Graal as a traitor. When was the last time supernicks spar was popular? When was the last time any of you actually went to Avalon? But I can assure you if those places were removed there would be riots in the streets. Speaking of which, where's Amos, haven't had a good bridge protest in years either.

There has been some really nice content made by many developers over the past few years but it sits gathering dust because someone saw it ahead of its release and started a massive protest over how it wasn't "Classic" enough. Shame people are so dead set on revival that it only results in its demise.

Seriously though, this isn't actually a problem confined to Classic. This happens on every server that someone once called home. Life changes, games change. Either you live with that or you move on.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:01 AM
perfection
Oni has a spectacular aura about
this sux
i have so many ideas
but thors hates most of them
and people say
"NO iTS NOT CLASSIC"

so nothing new can be tryd out becasue its auto not classic? so basically nothing can be released or destroyed?

cant classic get over the passed and make a new server
becasue the current one = DEAD liek yo grandmama

Tags
graal classic, graal the adventure