Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-22-2010, 06:39 PM
tempandrew is on a distinguished road
I hate it. I actually can say I full on hate it. Here's everything you did wrong.

I feel like you pushed the treeline way too close to the house. When a house is being made they don't plot the construction 1.3ft away from the nearest tree. It's unrealistic. Push it back a little bit. Your fence on the top goes directly into the path. Why? It should go along the path to restrict people from going outside of the path, to keep them going to the house. Use better placement. There's also way way too much clutter. I can only imagine the frustrations walking through this level would bring. Space things out, because right now you'll be worming through tiny 2-tile passages trying to get where you're going. There's nothing more annoying than walking through a GMap feeling like you're going to win Event Coins at the end of it. Also, bunch hedges together. Don't just randomly dot them, find a place where it makes sense for them to grow (out of the way) and bunch a few together. You also didn't use ANY grass tufts, and if your tileset lacks them, then you need to put them the **** back in. A level without grass tufts rarely looks good, it's the most essential part of detail. Put groupings of 3-5 grass tufts together, and space them apart well. Your path can use improving as well. Right before you get to the house, there's a line of about 4 straight across tiles. Don't do that. When pathing, you should get in the practice of restricting yourself to 1 straight consecutive tile or 2 corner consecutive tiles.

Here's a small snippet of grass>grass pathing on Babylon that's done correctly.
Dirt paths should be straighter than this, I'm just trying to show you the limitations you should follow.

You're making some progress. I feel practicing in pics1 is really useful, but since you're going to be using this tileset mostly, just use this one. Basically, loosen things up, conform to the basic rules of LATing, and above all, make sense. You'll be doing fine in no time.