Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-04-2012, 12:41 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
Are you ****ing serious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskdjfhg View Post
Can Stefan please just hand down PC Graal to someone with a brain that actually gives a **** about his loyal community of over 10 ****ing years?
Not that I'm usually the defender of Stefan but he was referring to the fact that so many people are against v6 and that Steam integration would be an arguement in favor of v6.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:15 PM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
You guys are still using v6? Should upgrade to the beta v7, so much nicer.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:53 PM
dbug will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Rocks View Post
You guys are still using v6? Should upgrade to the beta v7, so much nicer.
lol, there is no v7. I use v6 only. I dislike v5.. but then again i was eagerly awaiting external scripted windows
Old 09-05-2012, 08:37 PM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
It was a joke, not sure if you remember the "hacker" who claimed to be releasing a preview of v7 in order to phish passwords.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Führer Glazey
dude2020 is a jewel in the roughdude2020 is a jewel in the rough
You have to pay Valve 100$ fee to post a game to Greenlight.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:08 AM
Tee Hee
smirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to smirt362 Send a message via MSN to smirt362
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude2020 View Post
Well thats never going to happen

Don Hertzfeldt <3
Old 09-06-2012, 01:20 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude2020 View Post
It's a one-time fee that goes towards charity. The only reason they even have it is to weed out people who aren't even submitting serious games(spam, trolls). You'd have to be fairly well-off just to pay $100 to troll Greenlight. $100 when you're talking about game development(especially with a game that's been around as long as Graal has) is nothing. In fact, you have to pay much more for iOS I believe.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:38 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
It's a one-time fee that goes towards charity. The only reason they even have it is to weed out people who aren't even submitting serious games(spam, trolls). You'd have to be fairly well-off just to pay $100 to troll Greenlight. $100 when you're talking about game development(especially with a game that's been around as long as Graal has) is nothing. In fact, you have to pay much more for iOS I believe.
$100 for iOS as well but that's a different sort of process. You pay $100/year for a developer subscription. Submitting apps doesn't cost anything (they take a cut of your profits, though).
Old 09-06-2012, 02:06 AM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
$100 for iOS as well but that's a different sort of process. You pay $100/year for a developer subscription. Submitting apps doesn't cost anything (they take a cut of your profits, though).
Ah... well either way it's still comparable in costs so I don't see why people would jump to say $100 is too much for Stefan to bother with.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:24 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Ah... well either way it's still comparable in costs so I don't see why people would jump to say $100 is too much for Stefan to bother with.
Indeed. A donation to charity as a barrier to prevent spam is an interesting idea, though. Obviously it only works in some very specific circumstances, but interesting nonetheless.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Hazard to Graal
Jiroxys7 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
Who else do you know that would say "a green lantern thing" to refer to Steam Greenlight?
That was my favorite part!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:54 AM
A decade of fun~ 'w'
linkrulz4 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to linkrulz4
Graal wouldn't make it on Steam. It's not ready for that kind of thing.

I'm shocked no one has even heard of Desura, because it'd do much better on that market than one as anal as Gabe Newell's burger machine. The community is less hardcore cawadooty gamersbrah, and is much more open to modders and indie development. I'm not sure why this wasn't already done, but it should have a long time ago. Just because Steam announces you can pay $100.00 to gamble at getting your game hosted does not mean it's a great idea.

Consider this:

It takes 1000 votes to get 1% of an upvote rating. I can only assume this amount scales even larger based on increments. So far, very few games have gone even above 10%, and even then they seem to fluctuate drastically. These are real, legit, and innovative titles that are meant as serious standalone projects, most with lots of funding and positive representation on the gaming market well before they were on Steam Greenlight. Steam Greenlight is NOT for indie titles that haven't been properly updated to meet current standards since 2006, and show it. Steam Greenlight is NOT like the iOS market, where everyone and their mother can submit an app that is literally just a button that makes a noise for $0.99 USD. Steam Greenlight is probably the most anal community of gamers and critics that only want the cream of the crop to make it, and whatever will put more money into Gaben's wallet.

I will tell you exactly what will happen the moment it gets uploaded.

First, people are immediately going to report it for being a Zelda clone. Let's forget the fact it started out this way and has changed. We're entering a new market. People are going to automatically make the connection, especially the diehard fanboys. Already that's going to potentially kick us out of the race.
The next thing that will happen is the game will most likely result in very few positive ratings, which is based off if people will buy the game or not. People already do not want to buy Graal for what it's currently selling for. I can guarantee you that over 100,000 people will not want to buy Graal on steam when it has a maximum playercount of 3,000 on a good day, most of which are on the iOS version idling anyways. Already, this is a waste of money keeping it hosted there. You've already lost the gamble.

But the list goes on.

Graal is going to have to provide videos and content of what is already available. People are going to assume it's unfinished based on what is currently public and has been for over ten years. In reality, Graal really does play like some kind of obscure beta project. It has some seriously strange glitches and lots of bugs that are unexplained, like the weird behavior of GS2 or the odd lag spikes that shouldn't be happening anymore. This is sad, but true. They're going to expect a whole new product that they will never likely receive.

What else, they're going to expect a level of quality Graal will not deliver, such as a professional PR system and hosted server management/administration. Players are going to log onto servers and realize most of them are ran by people not even out of high school. As much as the PWAs work hard, they are not at all fit to handle a massive influx of players, should it ever happen, as they are right now. If Graal were to be released on Steam, I guarantee it would be booted just as fast for potential complaints it would bolster based off the fact it's a very poorly managed game, from a professional standpoint. That's another waste of money trying to host it on there, which is not free. With the new networks of gaming hubs and forums with the 'steambook' upgrade, it's very easy to look up a game and see the community and how much is broken about it. Based on the kind of people who play on Steam, Graal would be one of those games that has thread after thread of complaints, no question. This would destroy its representation very quickly.

One other thing.
Graal has way too much Intellectual Property violations scattered randomly throughout its servers to really be introduced to a market as anal as the 'ultimate PC platforming application'. It's not going to be able to claim parody either, and the game making money would only make it worse. People are going to see heads of //.hack characters, super mario bros., Zelda, etc. etc. and probably complain about that. Not to mention, there's always that one guy who uploads a sprite ripped right out of Chrono Trigger and manages to get it uploaded. Seen this crap too much. I don't know why it happens, but it does. Probably because majority of staff have no idea what a copyright law is.
There would have to be a major purging of the servers again, just like the early 2000's, of possible illegal content to prevent any potential lawsuits or claims. The more attention Graal receives, the more likely this will happen. A lot would have to be changed to fix it, such as the submission process of personal graphics. Honestly, it may have to go back to doing it on the actual Graal website again, with a dedicated team going over them with a fine-toothed comb. It's going to be a lot of trouble, and a ton of work. Work that, as history shows us, is not going to get done because of the effort put forth by certain people in charge of those processes already.

I could go on for days, I think. You get the point, I hope. This is a bad idea, and a waste of money.
If you want Graal to be hosted in some kind of gaming network, go research Desura. It would have a much higher chance, albeit not 100%, of being hosted there than on Steam.

Look.
http://www.desura.com/development
There's a link.
Have at it.

Last edited by linkrulz4; 09-09-2012 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: adding
Old 09-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Ya, what an absolute waste of $100. I also like that you open up by saying it's Gabe's Burger Machine... ya your opinion is not biased or skewed at all.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkrulz4 View Post
-Hardcore Smackdown of an explaination-
Thank you for saying exactly what was on my mind sir, +rep. (minus the burger factory bit, that just seems a bit unfair to greenlight)

This guy has said extremely important things to the matter of this idea.

But to actually add to the conversation myself, It's not a TOTAL waste, but for it to work would require a completely new, simplistic, disconnected form of Graal to be placed into Greenlight, nothing more could possibly get through with our resources without just making our own game.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:54 PM
the fake one
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkrulz4 View Post
one as anal as Gabe Newell's burger machine.
how u gonna hate on valve w/ that signature??