Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
If everyone looked exactly the same in a multiplayer game, it's obvious that the game would become a failure.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 10-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
If everyone looked exactly the same in a multiplayer game, it's obvious that the game would become a failure.
As I said, graphics and gameplay are two seperate categories that games are rated on. If you have bad graphics it shouldn't affect the gameplay category.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
If Era's success depends on you being able to choose what you look like then it must not have very good gameplay. Games are rated with multiple categories, gameplay and graphics being two of them. They should not depend on the other.
Graphics serve a purpose in many gameplay features, and some gameplay features are for the purpose of looking good graphically. In a good game, graphics and gameplay generally come hand in hand. Presentation has a huge effect on every game overall, and customization on Era and Graal as a whole is a huge part of what is attractive about it.

Quote:
Yes.
Are you against hats as an item that you buy and sell? They're an example of what I've mentioned above.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Incubator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
and customization on Era and Graal as a whole is a huge part of what is attractive about it.
This is due to lack of gameplay.
Quote:
Are you against hats as an item that you buy and sell? They're an example of what I've mentioned above.
It depends on the economy.

In my idea of an economy, I would be against it because hats would serve no gameplay purpose. They're only eye-candy. If hats had gameplay value such as giving you special magic abilities or so (such as the masks in TLoZ: Majora's Mask), then they could be included in economy because they have value.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:11 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
If you two keep going back and forth without budging, Darlene might just close this thread because she hates when people do that!
Old 10-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
This is due to lack of gameplay.
Not really, there is no other MMO with the amount of customization that Graal has. Graal still has gameplay on servers like Era, Zodiac, and the emphasis on customization is still high. Games often boast customizing characters as a good feature, albeit they don't have as much as Graal, but it is still mentioned and why is that? Because it is a part of the gameplay.

Quote:
In my idea of an economy, I would be against it because hats would serve no gameplay purpose. They're only eye-candy. If hats had gameplay value such as giving you special magic abilities or so (such as the masks in TLoZ: Majora's Mask), then they could be included in economy because they have value.
That might be your idea of some features in an economy, and that's fair enough but an economy (according to Wikipedia) is the "realized social system of production, exchange, distribution, and consumption of goods and services of a country or other area" which means that eye-candy options on Era are indeed a part of their economy, but not it's only purpose.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:03 AM
Incubator
Quote:
Not really, there is no other MMO with the amount of customization that Graal has. Graal still has gameplay on servers like Era, Zodiac, and the emphasis on customization is still high. Games often boast customizing characters as a good feature, albeit they don't have as much as Graal, but it is still mentioned and why is that? Because it is a part of the gameplay.
I said before, when I say game or gameplay I am referring to Era's not Graal's. I view each Playerworld as their own game that simply uses a common engine. The fact that you think customizing your character could be considered part of the gameplay shows how little you know about game development in general.
Quote:
That might be your idea of some features in an economy, and that's fair enough but an economy (according to Wikipedia) is the "realized social system of production, exchange, distribution, and consumption of goods and services of a country or other area" which means that eye-candy options on Era are indeed a part of their economy, but not it's only purpose.
And those options being part of its economy shows how badly Era is made.

The outfit saver on Era is not produced because a unit is created magically by script. It is not exchanged because there is no reason why anyone would exchange such a thing as it has no gameplay value. And, it is not distributed because no company in Era makes them, and because of my first point.

For an item such as a sword in my economy, it would be produced using component items. It would have to be distributed from the company making it to a store for it to be sold. People could exchange the item because it has a gameplay value other than looking pretty. And consumption would be its utilization.

On EVE, you can make money by mining minerals and selling them to those that need them to make items. You can make money buying minerals and producing an item from them and selling it. You can make money buying items and moving them to another location that needs them. Do such things exist on Era?

I'm tired of arguing about this because you're simply lacking a basic understanding and I don't feel like teaching it to you.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:16 PM
Quote:
I said before, when I say game or gameplay I am referring to Era's not Graal's. I view each Playerworld as their own game that simply uses a common engine. The fact that you think customizing your character could be considered part of the gameplay shows how little you know about game development in general.
Customization may be just aesthetics and not something you proactively take part in, but they are still a part of the gameplay features. Warhammer Online is a relatively new game on the market, this game focused heavily on advertising it's player customization gameplay features. I guess I'm not the only one who has no idea about game development

Quote:
And those options being part of its economy shows how badly Era is made.

The outfit saver on Era is not produced because a unit is created magically by script. It is not exchanged because there is no reason why anyone would exchange such a thing as it has no gameplay value. And, it is not distributed because no company in Era makes them, and because of my first point.

For an item such as a sword in my economy, it would be produced using component items. It would have to be distributed from the company making it to a store for it to be sold. People could exchange the item because it has a gameplay value other than looking pretty. And consumption would be its utilization.
LOL I must be insane or something!! An item does not need to have a point of exit to be considered an item in the economy. Economy items are not limited to consistency of theme, they are still items in the economy even if they do not make sense. There is no hat factory on Era, they're just sold in shops and restocked at various times. You trade your money resources for those items, thus they are a part of the economy. I couldn't care less about EVE or any other MMORPG's economy, because it is not relevant to Era's economy.

To reiterate the initial point though, you claimed it should not be a part of the economy, I have stated why it is. Regardless of how bad Era's economy is, it is still a part of the economy and so my point still stands.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Vulcan is on a distinguished road
Arrow

If such a system were to be created, servers could easily chose whether or not to allow hats be set with this system by it having the server option operate as follows:

globaltailorsystemmode = 1/2/3
  • 0 - disabled
  • 1 - enabled, with hats
  • 2 - enabled, without hats

...or if the system were to be built the way Ziro suggested....

PHP Code:
this.disabledServers = {"Graal Kingdoms""Zone" };
this.hatsDisabled = {"Zodiac"};
if (!(
servername in this.disabledServers)) {

// proceed

if (!(servername in this.hatsDisabled)) {

//set hats

}

//set other stuff

Playerword Issues: Support Center
Email: [email protected]

Old 10-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Incubator
Quote:
Customization may be just aesthetics and not something you proactively take part in, but they are still a part of the gameplay features. Warhammer Online is a relatively new game on the market, this game focused heavily on advertising it's player customization gameplay features. I guess I'm not the only one who has no idea about game development
Gameplay and graphics are too separate categories. Just because the retard in charge of the advertising says something doesn't make it correct. I'm not going to argue about this with you because I really don't care whether you know what you're talking about or not. If you decide to go into game development in the future I have confidence that you will get some sense knocked into you.
Quote:
LOL I must be insane or something!! An item does not need to have a point of exit to be considered an item in the economy.
I said that was my idea of a full-blown in-game economy, not the idea.
Quote:
I couldn't care less about EVE or any other MMORPG's economy, because it is not relevant to Era's economy.
Learn by example.
Quote:
so my point still stands.
In your opinion. "Just another money sink" says alot about Era's economy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
If such a system were to be created, servers could easily chose whether or not to allow hats be set with this system by it having the server option operate as follows:
We don't need server options for such minor scripts. There should simply be a clientside script commands called by a system script:

(@ "-GlobalTailor").disable();
(@ "-GlobalTailor").disablehats();
(@ "-GlobalTailor").enable();
(@ "-GlobalTailor").enablehats();
Old 10-17-2008, 12:33 PM
♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪
Angelu will become famous soon enough
Inverness sounds like he plays a lot of Shooter :O
choose your Skin, choose your Team, buy your Weapons and gogogo XD
There are Games called Second Life and other "MMOG" where the point of the
Gameplay is to get money and buy visual things for it like clothes hats or whatever and they dont have any effect.
Before you say Rufus know nothing about game development think your own about what Gameplay is...
In the end Gameplay is to do something and to get a Reward for it.
This Reward can be a new Cutscene, a NPC who says "Thank You",
a new Weapon and yes even the fact that you got Money to buy new visual things...

To the Topic:
I have nothing against the System if evry Server can disable it without any reason...
Old 10-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Incubator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelu View Post
<snip>
I already mentioned that community-type games are the exception because they're based on interaction with other people.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:01 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
If you think event coins can be considered an economy then we have very different definitions of economy.
I feel you lost all credibility after you said this, and stopped reading.
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
I already mentioned that community-type games are the exception because they're based on interaction with other people.
In case you missed it, Graal is one huge community based game, and no server is an exception to that.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
In case you missed it, Graal is one huge community based game, and no server is an exception to that.
Zone is an exception.