Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
If the item would not be considered part of game lore it should not be part of the economy. There is no place for a magic outfit changer on a modern server.
Saving outfits is not a part of the game lore. If you want to discuss consistency of theme for servers, changing your head magically has no place, nor does changing your clothes using text commands, nor the tailor that is being discussed in the thread. Items are not classed as part of an economy because they follow a theme.

Quote:
If you think event coins can be considered an economy then we have very different definitions of economy.
I suggest you go read up on some economics because in every valid definition of an economy, they are.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Saving outfits is not a part of the game lore. If you want to discuss consistency of theme for servers, changing your head magically has no place, nor does changing your clothes using text commands, nor the tailor that is being discussed in the thread. Items are not classed as part of an economy because they follow a theme.
Changing your head and clothes on a server have nothing to do with it because they don't cost money.

If you earn money by doing tasks in-game then the money you earn should be applied in-game too.

For example, if you had to do in-game tasks to get money to be able to change the UI color of the game client then there is a problem.
Quote:
I suggest you go read up on some economics because in every valid definition of an economy, they are.
My idea of an economy is much more grand than what you're thinking of. My idea of an economy is similar to what EVE Online has.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Got Milk?
WarLord2004 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Changing your head and clothes on a server have nothing to do with it because they don't cost money.

If you earn money by doing tasks in-game then the money you earn should be applied in-game too.

For example, if you had to do in-game tasks to get money to be able to change the UI color of the game client then there is a problem.
Actually this is where classic vs gold comes in...

You do need to spend money in order to change clothing on DEV Servers :-p

Else if you already own a classic account and don't wish to upgrade they give you some B/S.

Upgrade your account for more cool Looking Head/Bodys.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:58 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:

Outfits are part of the game, and they feature in game, so they are part of tasks that you have to do in game. Changing your outfits take time, if you have many different outfits it is often hard to keep track of the specific colors and filenames, outfit savers save this time therefore they are an addon feature. I cannot make it any more clearer than that.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Incubator
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarLord2004 View Post
Actually this is where classic vs gold comes in...
That is beyond the game (Playerworld) itself.

Quote:
Outfits are part of the game, and they feature in game, so they are part of tasks that you have to do in game. Changing your outfits take take, if you have many different outfits it is often hard to keep track of the specific colors and filenames, outfit savers save this time therefore they are an addon feature. I cannot make it any more clearer than that.
When I say game I mean Era as a game, not Graal as a whole. You're simply not understanding how I think. If outfits didn't exist and everybody looked the same you could still play Era because your looks aren't part of the game, they're just icing on the cake.

As another example, by your logic I would have to pay in-game money for a UI mod on WoW.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:07 PM
Quote:
When I say game I mean Era as a game, not Graal as a whole. You're simply not understanding how I think. If outfits didn't exist and everybody looked the same you could still play Era because your looks aren't part of the game, they're just icing on the cake.
Customization is arguably more of a core game mechanic than a meta one, but either way the item is still suited as an economical money sinker regardless of mechanics because it is saving time when using default features, not just enabling default features.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Incubator
Quote:
Customization is arguably more of a core game mechanic than a meta one, but either way the item is still suited as an economical money sinker regardless of mechanics because it is saving time when using default features, not just enabling default features.
Visual customization is not part of the gameplay of Era. If all players were forced to have the same look it would not affect Era gameplay so the economy should not be affected either. Obviously this tailor that is part of the economy relies on the fact that player appearances are customizable and its status would be affected if they weren't. The gameplay should be a closed system and this pokes a hole in it.

I really don't know how to explain it any better. What Era has is not something I would consider a true economy because items are not finite.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Visual customization is not part of the gameplay of Era. If all players were forced to have the same look it would not affect Era gameplay so the economy should not be affected either.
Visual customization is a major part in every single Graal server. If you truly don't believe that, then why does Era sell hats? They're visual customization, they're a part of the gameplay, and they're a part of the economy. I never said that the visual customization part of an outfit saver is the purpose that makes it a viable item, it's the time it saves.

Quote:
Obviously this tailor that is part of the economy relies on the fact that player appearances are customizable and its status would be affected if they weren't.
A lot of the economy relies on the fact that there is a huge emphasis on player customization, not just a tailor system.

Quote:
The gameplay should be a closed system and this pokes a hole in it.
How is this a closed system, and how is it "poking a hole" in anything? Honestly..
Old 10-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Incubator
Quote:
How is this a closed system, and how is it "poking a hole" in anything? Honestly..
Gameplay is typically not dependent on the level of graphics, I'm sure many gamers know this.

There are exceptions like Graal, because some of Graal's playerworlds don't actually have their own solid gameplay.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Gameplay is typically not dependent on the level of graphics, I'm sure many gamers know this.
Nor do economies or outfit saving NPCs.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Incubator
Quote:
Nor do economies or outfit saving NPCs.
That wasn't exactly good English but if you're saying that outfit saving NPCs aren't dependent on graphics then you're wrong.

Because if all players looked the same for one reason or another the outfit saver would become useless.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Quote:
That wasn't exactly good English but if you're saying that outfit saving NPCs aren't dependent on graphics then you're wrong.

Because if all players looked the same for one reason or another the outfit saver would become useless.
Yeah I am, and I knew you'd focus on that one point instead of replying to a valid one. It's pretty damn obvious that outfit saving NPCs are dependent on graphics, because that is what they're saving, but good game. If all of the players looked the same however, do you believe that the gameplay would be the same?
Old 10-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Incubator
Quote:
If all of the players looked the same however, do you believe that the gameplay would be the same?
Yes, provided gameplay elements don't rely on certain visuals. Such as a red or blue color of a player to tell which team they're on. In Era's case, gameplay does not rely on the player's look. You would tell what gang a player is part of by their nickname, not their outfit.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Yes, provided gameplay elements don't rely on certain visuals. Such as a red or blue color of a player to tell which team they're on.
Okay. Do you believe that Era would be half as successful as it is if you could not choose what you looked like and do you think that an economy is part of the gameplay?
Old 10-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Incubator
Quote:
Okay. Do you believe that Era would be half as successful as it is if you could not choose what you looked like
If Era's success depends on you being able to choose what you look like then it must not have very good gameplay. Games are rated with multiple categories, gameplay and graphics being two of them. They should not depend on the other. A game's success is measured with more than just its gameplay or its graphics.
Quote:
do you think that an economy is part of the gameplay?
Yes. So if economy falls into the gameplay category then it should not be involved with the graphics category, such as with an outfit saver.