Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Luda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Luda
The people who just recently said that could of said it back in 06 also.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terazel Tenjin View Post
Not to be a complete Negative Nancy, but what there is to lose are 1.) time that could be better spent on a different project and 2.) server slot.

Edit: Also find it kind of funny how all kinds of people are making the "it's been dead" call now when it's been called as early as 2006. But at least it's finally getting recognition. Always takes that step back to see the whole picture.
1. There is always going to be someone wanting to restore Classic anyway so those on the project probably wouldn't work on a different one anyway.

2. I wasn't aware there was a specific number of Classic tabbed slots.

3. Dead is such a relative term. While I've even joked about 'last one to leave, turn out the lights." Other servers have also been called dead long before their actual demise. In a few cases the servers made a comeback just before total extinction. I think saying Classic being in torpor is a fitting description for now.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Petrification of a Newbie
Darklux is a jewel in the roughDarklux is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to Darklux Send a message via AIM to Darklux Send a message via Yahoo to Darklux
Is there an alternative to the hidden- tab and ongoing development under the same admins?
I don't think so, Classic can be hardly called playable at the moment - especially due the lack of quests.

And why should the devteam/administration be changed? Certainly won't speed up the development or increase the count of developers. Having a big staff is nothing easy on graal atm, too many playerworlds, too few players.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Gladius
BlackSolider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlackSolider
I assume you haven't been around the past few years, so I'll sum this up.

Right now we have two managers; one has been manager for two or three months now (I think; time flies,) while the other has been for a few years now.

During those few years, Classic has not improved significantly at all. Minor changes were added over time by a dev department that was essentially a revolving door, but nothing significant. A lot of people see the server's current problems as the fault of the 'elder' manager because he did little to solve them over a period of several years.

It's kind of like the "three strikes" rule in baseball, only he's on ten strikes but hasn't been called out yet.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
What a lobbyist.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 07-13-2009, 07:20 PM
mistral_007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSolider View Post
I assume you haven't been around the past few years, so I'll sum this up.

Right now we have two managers; one has been manager for two or three months now (I think; time flies,) while the other has been for a few years now.

During those few years, Classic has not improved significantly at all. Minor changes were added over time by a dev department that was essentially a revolving door, but nothing significant. A lot of people see the server's current problems as the fault of the 'elder' manager because he did little to solve them over a period of several years.

It's kind of like the "three strikes" rule in baseball, only he's on ten strikes but hasn't been called out yet.
Add:
Maybe we all know who said, whoever havent sinned should throw the first stone. We shouldnt really blame Storm or any lat admin since no one better stepped up and did a better job.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Prince
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral_007 View Post
Add:
Maybe we all know who said, whoever havent sinned should throw the first stone. We shouldnt really blame Storm or any lat admin since no one better stepped up and did a better job.
Most of the blame will end up on the manager for any server. They are responsible for making it successful.

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 07-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
Most of the blame will end up on the manager for any server. They are responsible for making it successful.
Perhaps. But we sucked in finding someone who fit better. And no, 4 ppl wanting mr Frog or someone random as manager doesnt count...
Old 07-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Prince
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral_007 View Post
Perhaps. But we sucked in finding someone who fit better. And no, 4 ppl wanting mr Frog or someone random as manager doesnt count...
Perhaps it could be that we sucked in removing the old one.

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 07-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Gladius
Or perhaps that people couldn't get him removed, despite several attempts.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSolider View Post
Or perhaps that people couldn't get him removed, despite several attempts.
With valid reasons, and reasons how someone could do a better job is presented and a lot of people backing it up it's not impossible. I don't really know anyone that have the time, quality, support, will to do anything better.

I havent seen any big serious tryings. Stop playing the server until that person is changed is another option, if there's a lot of people doing it, it will have an effect.

My point is, why blame someone, everyone is at blame. For example could someone potenially have gotten the manager post before Storm. And i'm not saying storm is good/bad.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:42 PM
DarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the roughDarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the rough
Storm was nearly invulnerable from being fired up until the PWA recently were allowed to start making significant changes under Bell. Even then, it is hard to even convince to the PWA that he needs to go. You can see this by him surviving multiple reviews one after another a few months back. Despite his record and negative rating of him, he still retained his position.

In summary, no, noone could have simply replaced him years ago, as there was noone around that would fire him, I'm not even sure that there is a person that would today.

Is Storm to blame for Classic's state now?
Yes and no. Storm didn't directly cause the problems regarding content and direction, this was the constant development administration changes. Whenever an admin change happened, the server would normally be developed in a different direction that usually invovled needlessly redoing what has already been done and not using nearly done or even finished content of the previous administration.

Storm's fault lies in 3 areas.
1. Notoriously inactive.
2. Not a very good 'frontman', if you look at other server managers, they are very adept at PR, and constantly promoting the server and doing good PR with players. Storm doesn't do that, hell, neither manager really posts here unless they are threatened.
3.Simply not controlling administrators. I am pretty sure not one single admin has been fired/removed/demoted under Storm. Coming from experience, they are pretty much able to come and go as they please. Unless they did something extremely malicious, an administrator on Classic would have perfect 'job security'. Dev Admins were able to vastly alter and in ways, damage the server(think back to when Hell Raven was going to redo _everything_, we lost over a year of dev time under him, and we had more devs then aswell.). Storm should have been present in these situations, making sure a basic direction was followed and no needless revamps and reconstructions out of the sake of glory were made.

~DC
2001-2002 - Classic FAQ Administrator/Special Operations Administrator
2005 - 2009 - GC Dev Admin
2009 - Classic Dev Admin Stint
Old 07-14-2009, 06:27 AM
Gladius
Sounds about right.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:46 AM
Zvarri!
TESTRETIS has a spectacular aura about