Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 12:00 PM
-Ramirez- has a spectacular aura about
Most importantly, regarding the use of more intelligent event operation designs, GET RID OF MASS MESSAGING. Whoever decides to make such changes, do NOT forget this, and ignore Night if he tries to tell you no! This is the single most antiquated thing the server still does and it needs to DIE, promptly.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:14 PM
Banned
Shadow87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to Shadow87
Well its clear Classic GC have nothing on speed compared to other server ETs, but think about it, why do you think we are still GC and they are all ET? Game Coordinators still have to coordinate everything, Events team people just kinda have to kick back and enjoy the show because everything is click click! clack clack nuggah!!
Old 03-31-2009, 09:04 PM
٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶
Kill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ramirez- View Post
Most importantly, regarding the use of more intelligent event operation designs, GET RID OF MASS MESSAGING. Whoever decides to make such changes, do NOT forget this, and ignore Night if he tries to tell you no! This is the single most antiquated thing the server still does and it needs to DIE, promptly.
Actually I don't agree with you at all Kat.
Mass Messaging is crucial to keep any sort of competitiveness in events.
Tickets are currently useless, Classic is the only server that uses Mass Messaging to show winners -- If this was removed, do you think it would have any positive outcomes other than it being easier for you (since you won't have to open up their messages on RC, assuming this is why you want them disabled).

Old 03-31-2009, 09:20 PM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill View Post
Tickets are currently useless, Classic is the only server that uses Mass Messaging to show winners -- If this was removed, do you think it would have any positive outcomes other than it being easier for you (since you won't have to open up their messages on RC, assuming this is why you want them disabled).
since the writing ability of the members of the GC team run from simian to block of wood, I don't see why you'd think it's a good idea to have them constantly mass messaging.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:26 PM
Quote:
You, like Night (at least in the past), are blind to the possibilities. You simply do NOT have to remove messages involved with starting an event. The point is that there's absolutely NO reason for it to be done via mass messages. It's the most irritating thing imaginable.

Also, what Kevin (lmao, I think... account names are so annoying) said is right. The messages are pretty much useless as of now anyway. I'd wager that a decent portion of the players don't even CARE about the literary aspect of the messages as well. I certainly don't want to read a novel if I'm trying to get into an event quickly. However, as I said, messages do NOT have to be removed.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:28 PM
٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sir Link View Post
since the writing ability of the members of the GC team run from simian to block of wood, I don't see why you'd think it's a good idea to have them constantly mass messaging.
You raise a very good issue indeed Kevin, and this further supports the idea of Night making a set of guidelines for GCs to follow.
If you guys remember Kai -- he was the worst GC (in my eyes) as he put no effort into the job at all, and changed the ways of Mass Messaging for everyone since the other GCs realised that it was 'okay' to just use 3 words to describe an hour or so long event.

When Thor made that CTF results script (for example), all he did was copy/paste that in his mass and go off tag, now everyone seems to follow suit.

I believe Night should state that effort is required as a GC; and this means putting in a paragraph or two to describe a long and enduring event. Clel used to do great entertaining masses, now he has followed the crowd too... Which sucks for the literate individuals who do actually read the masses.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:36 PM
Quote:
I believe Night should state that effort is required as a GC; and this means putting in a paragraph or two to describe a long and enduring event. Clel used to do great entertaining masses, now he has followed the crowd too... Which sucks for the literate individuals who do actually read the masses.
Being a GC is already a job. Adding pointless requirements to it just makes it less likely that people will stay doing it and want to do it in the future. You may not see it as a job, but others do. I'd be surprised if all of the current GCs actually WANT to host as much as used to be required by Night when the server was somewhat "healthy".

Also, implying that people who have no interest in reading a novel in an irritating mass message just to enter an event are illiterate is just a pointless insult, or maybe ignorance of the word.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:59 PM
٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶
Quote:
You, like Night (at least in the past), are blind to the possibilities. You simply do NOT have to remove messages involved with starting an event. The point is that there's absolutely NO reason for it to be done via mass messages. It's the most irritating thing imaginable.
I'm already in favour of updating the current systems in terms of starting an event, however I'm against removing Mass Messages to announce the winner for reasons I have already stated. I think there was a misunderstanding from your part.

Quote:
The messages are pretty much useless as of now anyway. I'd wager that a decent portion of the players don't even CARE about the literary aspect of the messages as well. I certainly don't want to read a novel if I'm trying to get into an event quickly. However, as I said, messages do NOT have to be removed.
Actually you'd be surprised.
Once again, you're relating it back to getting INTO an event whereas I'm talking about the announcing of winners.
Quote:
Being a GC is already a job. Adding pointless requirements to it just makes it less likely that people will stay doing it and want to do it in the future. You may not see it as a job, but others do. I'd be surprised if all of the current GCs actually WANT to host as much as used to be required by Night when the server was somewhat "healthy".
You see, this is why you are not a GC. You have the wrong attitudes about being a GC - those that think like this should not be a GC because they should enjoy the fact they're hosting to entertain players from all over the globe; they're the only staff team that are holding this server intact since there is little to nothing else to do. Anyways, GCs should be hosting as much as possible - If they do not enjoy the job, they can always leave, there has always been a high demand of players wanting to be a GC. I actually think Night's removal of the weekly times led to the eventual inactivity of the server, if you'd like me to explain I will.

Quote:
Also, implying that people who have no interest in reading a novel in an irritating mass message just to enter an event are illiterate is just a pointless insult, or maybe ignorance of the word.
You took what I said the wrong way. I meant some people actually enjoy reading, and do not mind reading a novel if it is that long (Gladius is the only GC that writes long paragraphs anyway).

So basically, in a nutshell:
You are unhappy that Mass Messages are the form of communication used by the GCs simply because you are too lazy to close each message from your RC.

I'm sorry, but that is very selfish and not taking into consideration other factors such as competitiveness and other peoples' opinions of the matter; and failing to see that what you believe is your opinion only (as I'm sure no one shares your view).

Old 03-31-2009, 10:26 PM
Quote:
however I'm against removing Mass Messages to announce the winner
Again, blindness. Do you honestly think that it's not possible to retain this as well?

Quote:
Once again, you're relating it back to getting INTO an event whereas I'm talking about the announcing of winners.
You referenced both once. I honestly didn't notice that the first was about ending messages, but it changes nothing.

Quote:
You see, this is why you are not a GC. You have the wrong attitudes about being a GC - those that think like this should not be a GC because they should enjoy the fact they're hosting to entertain players from all over the globe; they're the only staff team that are holding this server intact since there is little to nothing else to do. Anyways, GCs should be hosting as much as possible - If they do not enjoy the job, they can always leave, there has always been a high demand of players wanting to be a GC.
That was my whole point. Such restrictions on what a GC needs make it difficult to fill the positions well. You may think those things are necessary, but they're really not, particularly now.

Players are more likely to just want to use the tools the GCs have available than they are to actually WANT to host for the "fun" of it.

Quote:
You took what I said the wrong way. I meant some people actually enjoy reading, and do not mind reading a novel if it is that long (Gladius is the only GC that writes long paragraphs anyway).
I read exactly what you said, and what I informed you of was two possible reasons for you saying it. You may have failed to express what you were intending, but that's your problem. (Uh oh, that wasn't worded in a way that Barney would like, I must be being an ass!!!111oneoneone Hardly, just direct.)

Quote:
You are unhappy that Mass Messages are the form of communication used by the GCs simply because you are too lazy to close each message from your RC.
This is exactly why I hate them, and not only on RC. (Aside from the laziness aspect, which is just yet another pointless insult.) Nobody should HAVE to deal with the garbage. That's undeniable logic. You're just afraid of losing something that's, for reasons I can't even comprehend, important to you due to your ignorance of what's possible.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but that is very selfish and not taking into consideration other factors such as competitiveness and other peoples' opinions of the matter; and failing to see that what you believe is your opinion only (as I'm sure no one shares your view).
Seriously. Think about possibilities before you type. Absolutely nothing is lost, only changed to suit a wider range of personal preferences. If you even try to say that it's affecting YOUR preference, good luck justifying that. Whether it's an internal window message of some form or a PM, it still requires the same reaction from you, whereas it gives me and others who hate mass messages the satisfaction of not having to deal with them.

I found it amusing that you try to say that this is solely based off of my opinion and nothing else. You're truly blind/ignorant (of several things, apparently) if you can't see the benefit of giving players options that reduce annoyance. Whether or not it's annoying to you is irrelevant. It's obviously POSSIBLE and probably a lot more likely than you think for it to be annoying to others.

This kind of opposition to nothing more than a display change is absolutely pathetic. "Oh no, don't change what I see, just because it's been that way for a long time!!! It makes no difference if it functions exactly, or almost exactly, the same, it LOOKS DIFFERENT!! AHHH" Please. Get over it. It's ridiculous.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:52 PM
Kevin Azite
I wouldn't mind the mass messaging of a winner if it was done by the NPC-Server AND players could choose to not receive messages.

All a GC would have to do is send the NPC-Server a PM starting /announce or something.

Then, the option of joining through a condensed GUI or responding to the NPC-Server (again, both able to be toggled) can be used.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:54 PM
DarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the roughDarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sir Link View Post
I wouldn't mind the mass messaging of a winner if it was done by the NPC-Server AND players could choose to not receive messages.

All a GC would have to do is send the NPC-Server a PM starting /announce or something.

Then, the option of joining through a condensed GUI or responding to the NPC-Server (again, both able to be toggled) can be used.
Who cares what you'd mind?
You don't play classic because you're not allowed to.

~DC
2001-2002 - Classic FAQ Administrator/Special Operations Administrator
2005 - 2009 - GC Dev Admin
2009 - Classic Dev Admin Stint
Old 03-31-2009, 10:58 PM
Kevin Azite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloud_PK View Post
Who cares what you'd mind?
You don't play classic because you're not allowed to.
obviously you.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:35 AM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Kat's right here. Mass messaging can get annoying, especially for events such as CTF.

Well there has been the consideration of adding an events based GUI, with Storm also telling me that he was working on updating the GC system. The events based GUI can have messages from the GC commenting on the event just like any normal mass message and won't have to hassle players on receiving it constantly. A click to join button would also be nifty and stop the speculation of GC bias for not summoning you (which has happened to me last night by one GC).

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 04-01-2009, 02:12 AM
Angel of Nightmares
Nightmareangel is a jewel in the roughNightmareangel is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Nightmareangel
Bleh, at a lot of the stuff on the last few pages. Gonna have to put some folks in time out it seems har har. As for the talk about an events system... well yeah I guess I've been like an old man. By that I mean wanting to stick to the old ways just for the sake of tradition. I guess that's not always the best way to look at stuff as far as progressing things go. So I'm currently working out ideas for a system that will hopefully still feel like GC but incorporate the features the players want to see. We'll see how things go. Just stay tuned har har.

"Boredom is that from which insanity is born."

Former Classic Game Coordinator Adminstrator of Doom
Old 04-01-2009, 02:41 AM
Gladius
BlackSolider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlackSolider
@ both Kat and Kill.

Both of you have some good thoughts, and both of you have some bleh thoughts. Look. Being a GC is a job, yes, but we are by no means robots. The masses that some GCs put out nowadays are just pathetic, which indeed can be traced back to kai's skeletal masses (as someone said.) No, not everyone really gives a damn about the masses, especially if they lost. But people do like to be recognized for their efforts, especially when they win.

Masses shouldn't be used for gathering people to events. A gui system like era (tis all I know) would probably, imo, be a lot better. But masses do need to be kept for announcing who won. Honestly I'd like to have a paragraph minimum for end-masses, but sometimes there really isn't much to say.

As for the "don't think GCs want to host as much as night used to make them" (paraphrase, not exact quote,) comment: true, some GCs wouldn't be make the old minimum with their current hosting habits. But several GCs easily could pass the test, if only more events could be hosted. This is the part where some people say "you can always host low-playercount events!" True. But I'm talking about times where a GC hosts a pretty solid event and only gets 3 people even though 15 are online. People just don't join events in the numbers they used to, and it makes it really tough on GCs to consistently host smooth events.

In summary:
Masses need to be replaced by a gui system (or something similar) to gather people for events, but need to be kept for end-masses, which need to improve in quality by some GCs.
Closed Thread