Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Your opinion
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008, 12:55 AM
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umat View Post
There's just many RP servers and one adventure server.

What? There's one RP server.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:58 AM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by kia345 View Post
What? There's one RP server.
What PoJo said. You seem to also have RP and RPG mixed up.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 11-23-2008, 01:03 AM
Banned
Umat will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
What PoJo said. You seem to also have RP and RPG mixed up.
Yeah, sorry about that, but Roleplaying and Roleplaying Games goes hand-in-hand for me. I like RPG's like Final Fantasy or Pokémon like games. But these servers doesn't offer that. Those games have a storyline. Most servers on Graal doesn't which I think is sad.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:06 AM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umat View Post
Yeah, sorry about that, but Roleplaying and Roleplaying Games goes hand-in-hand for me. I like RPG's like Final Fantasy or Pokémon like games. But these servers doesn't offer that. Those games have a storyline. Most servers on Graal doesn't which I think is sad.
Well yes, I do agree, that to become a successful RP server/game you need the following:
  • Gameplay, at least something.
  • World lore.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 11-23-2008, 01:09 AM
Banned
Umat will become famous soon enough
Yes, thank you. I rest my case. This got out of hand. Mainly because of misunderstandings.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:15 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
I don't quite know what's going on in this topic but I heard Valikorlia and I heard RP... I think Valikorlia has a ton of potential as a server, but they just don't tap into it. RP and gameplay can mix together... in fact there are TONS of muds out there that do just that. You can't imagine gameplay will destroy RP unless the staff just can't maintain both at the same time... if that's the case don't say you can't have both together, just say Valikorlia can't manage both together.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:43 AM
No.
DarkReaper0 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to DarkReaper0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Stuff
I really hope one day Valikorlia finds the strength/will to make it's server popular to people from all walks of life.

I used to be an rp nut, but after a while I got tired of having to follow the fad group on their quest to rp at the coolest new spot.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:50 PM
DrakilorP2P is just really niceDrakilorP2P is just really nice
Rawr, I'm a werewolf.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:00 AM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Quote:
I don't quite know what's going on in this topic but I heard Valikorlia and I heard RP... I think Valikorlia has a ton of potential as a server, but they just don't tap into it. RP and gameplay can mix together... in fact there are TONS of muds out there that do just that. You can't imagine gameplay will destroy RP unless the staff just can't maintain both at the same time... if that's the case don't say you can't have both together, just say Valikorlia can't manage both together.
We were working on putting the two together, despite the rants of the traditional roleplayers. What happened is that I got lazy, Inverness got lazy, and the rest of the developers got lazy. Once the manager decided on a 40 day deadline, when we needed another 3-4 months at least, I kind of lost my drive. Why work on something when you know you can't finish it on time? To add to that, the manager wouldn't accept a player's offer to pay for 6 more months on the dev server.

It's not so much that it can't be done. It's just that it's a tall order, and nobody wants to help... even if they're going to get paid for it. Not a single person responded to that ad, where Omake offered to pay people to develop.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:21 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu View Post
It's not so much that it can't be done. It's just that it's a tall order, and nobody wants to help... even if they're going to get paid for it. Not a single person responded to that ad, where Omake offered to pay people to develop.
Would develop for free if other Valikorlian staff were willing to work and if the players actually want the server to grow. The latter is what's holding development back in my opinion.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:00 PM
eagle4 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm going to admit that Valikorlia can't thrive on RPing alone, they need something else to pull in the players. The reason it used to achieve over 100 players online was because it had an RPG system and was ahead of its time. Also, PLEASE bring back the giant gmap, I miss it so much.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:47 PM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
There are also a ton of bugs. I can't even remember how many times I was trying to get around and had to unstick me because of link problems. Either a link put me in a dead area(water with no way onto land, or on a wall), or there was just no link giving me a way back(left a room and the link back didn't work).
Old 11-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Same lol
Old 11-24-2008, 11:34 PM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Lack of player support is a huge issue on Valikorlia. They want a new system, but they either don't want to change, or they can't agree on what kind of change they want. But, mostly, I think the lack of player support comes from the fact that players simply don't trust any type of management. I mean, we had years and years of Clash. In case you didn't know, Clash did not care about Valikorlia. He released not-even-half finished "systems", because he was working on "New Val". He wouldn't even give NC to anybody who wanted to help on the scripting side. So, over the years of his management (and the 3 short managements between Clash being fired by globals and Omake being voted-in) a lot of players have lost faith that management can actually do anything.

Staff being unenthusiastic about working is almost a domino effect of the players' mood. For months, on a daily basis, I personally was told that I was ruining the server, either by working on the update and not paying attention to the current server, or vice-versa. The thing with Valikorlia is that there aren't any automated systems to keep things going while an update is being made. Levels need to be made almost constantly for new events, for example. A problem facing the LAT team while I was LAT Chief, was that I had to juggle between fixing the broken level and making new levels for the current server, and making new levels for the update. Pretty soon, LATs started quitting left and right, and I was essentially all by myself. In order for a full update, Valikorlia would really need two sets of staff: one for the current server, and one for the dev server. That wouldn't be problem, if developers weren't such a rare commodity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle4 View Post
I'm going to admit that Valikorlia can't thrive on RPing alone, they need something else to pull in the players. The reason it used to achieve over 100 players online was because it had an RPG system and was ahead of its time. Also, PLEASE bring back the giant gmap, I miss it so much.
We debated this a lot, actually. What Omake (the manager) decided was a segmented GMAP (three different GMAPs, to represent three different continents). When the LAT team started shrinking, I convinced him to just stay with the worldmap (which really is a unique part of Valikorlia -- as far as I know, we're still the only Classic playerworld with a worldmap). But, my decision was based on more than just manpower. The server itself has a very wide range of climates. We have tropical, desert, tundra, arctic, temperate, and wetland. Try fitting that all on one GMAP, along with weather effects. It just wasn't feasible, in my eyes.
Quote:
There are also a ton of bugs. I can't even remember how many times I was trying to get around and had to unstick me because of link problems. Either a link put me in a dead area(water with no way onto land, or on a wall), or there was just no link giving me a way back(left a room and the link back didn't work).
Most, if not all, of the level errors are from players themselves. At Valikorlia, we allow players to make and upload their own levels. I don't want to bash anybody here, but it's really a result of horrible standards on the part of the LAT Chief (not me -- I was demoted just after the 'update' was released). When I was LAT Chief, I was prepared to deny any level containing tile, link, graphic, or scripting errors (I really only wanted GS2 to be used) from being uploaded. I also wanted them to pass my quality test, which included my personal level aesthetics. But, all of that received backlash from the playerbase, because essentially they were too lazy to learn GS2, or too lazy to fix all their errors. Eventually, I was forced to allow GS1, and told that I wasn't allowed to deny people's levels from being upload, just because they didn't pass my 'quality standards'.

It's horrible to say, but I really do think that it's the players, not the staff, for the most part, that prevent Valikorlia from having any substantial updates.

How did this turn in to a discussion about Valikorlia, anyways? Valikorlia's not exactly Graal's benchmark server.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:43 PM
It sounds like you guys give in to players way too easily(and by you guys, I mean whoever keeps letting the playerbase decide how the server ends up).
Closed Thread